Marial Shayok Commits to ISU

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Yeah, I think Young will still get more than 20 minutes a game. I don't see how you can keep him off the court unless Lard, Jacobson, and an incoming freshman are all freakishly good.

I think that was Jake's point. He wondered about Solomon since those other guys are supposed to be that good. CW was the one who said he wasn't so sure about Jacobsen. Especially taking minutes from Solomon.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Our roster will be stacked with guys who have already proven it at this level. Babb/Shayok/Wigginton/Jacobson/Lard/Young. KU will be stacked with talented players who haven't really proven it yet De Sousa/Dotson/McCormack/Grimes/Preston

You forgetting Lawson brothers a d Charlie Moore? I agree those guys you listed haven' proven anything yet. Doubt Preston returns.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I think they forgot about Solomon Young too. He might not have as big a role as this year, but he's going to still be a big contributor next year.

I think they talked about him. Even CSP has said Jacobson could be a starter next year. Sounds like everyone is not sold on that but you have to worry about his development at times. Maybe he can make an Ejim like jump before next season.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Maybe Prohm does go to a 9-10 rotation, at least for the non-conf schedule.

I doubt it. Granted he hasn't been as deep in the past but he seems to like playing 7 maybe 8 guys at the most a game. The 8th play maybe different each game depending on the situation.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
We won't have the ball handling to put Nick on the bench and he has been great anyway.

Lard has been the defensive presence we needed from Solomon early this year and last year. With Jacobson coming in it will be a battle between him and Solo for who gets more minutes in the post alongside Lard.

Of the four coming in, THT seems like he will for sure get minutes but I'm not sure how much the other three challenge for some.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
You forgetting Lawson brothers a d Charlie Moore? I agree those guys you listed haven' proven anything yet. Doubt Preston returns.

Not to mention Azubuike returns, a more experienced Sousa, plus the one Lawson is a stud! Vick and Garrett are very talented, plus Newman, Moore, plus three more 5-stars......yeah, they'll be loaded.....AGAIN. No matter how much I want to drink the koolaid that Shayok, Jacobsen, our 4 starting returners, & incoming freshmen are extremely talented and capable to win the conference, it still all goes thru Kansas. Grrr

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
We'll have the raw talent to win the NC, absolutely. But it's getting them to play together and accept their roles that is challenging. Remember when UK won the championship and didn't make the tourney the following year? it wasn't due to lack of talent.

I am only speaking in terms of raw talent as well. So many things have to play out in our favor.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not to mention Azubuike returns, a more experienced Sousa, plus the one Lawson is a stud! Vick and Garrett are very talented, plus Newman, Moore, plus three more 5-stars......yeah, they'll be loaded.....AGAIN. No matter how much I want to drink the koolaid that Shayok, Jacobsen, our 4 starting returners, & incoming freshmen are extremely talented and capable to win the conference, it still all goes thru Kansas. Grrr

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Azubuike test the waters and make a bad decision. He is what he is at this point.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Interesting to hear an assistant comment that highly about the talent level for next year. Alot of people disagreed with me when I said there may be enough TALENT in the program to win it all. I feel like it's not a stretch to say that if people in the program are saying we could win the conference next year. I feel like the winner of the Big 12 has a legit shot of possibly cutting down the nets.
I'll bet $100 to anyone's $20 that we won't win the Big 12 next year.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
That's what people said about this year. I think we'll shoot just fine next year with Shayok, Wigginton and hopefully THT, NWB, Young, Lewis, whoever else.
I said it...was correct. We don't shoot the '3' that well. Next year will be better unless Donovan starts hitting consistently this year.

I was WRONG about LW's 3 point shooting. Hope that continues.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I'll bet $100 to anyone's $20 that we won't win the Big 12 next year.

A few points:

1. No one is crowning next years team Big 12 champs. To say that roster isnt capable of competing for one however is misguided.

2. Solomon Young will see MAJOR minutes next year. To say otherwise is just crazy.

3. I'll put our top three next year up there with anyone else in the Big 12 (Shayok, Wigginton, Lard). None of those McD AA for KU will have a game as polished as a 22 year old Shayok. I think the real question is how good can our next 3-4 be (Babb, Young, THT, Jacobsen, etc...).

4. To have a legit shot to take the crown from KU I think we are a high major impact transfer away.

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
We won't have the ball handling to put Nick on the bench and he has been great anyway.

Lard has been the defensive presence we needed from Solomon early this year and last year. With Jacobson coming in it will be a battle between him and Solo for who gets more minutes in the post alongside Lard.

Of the four coming in, THT seems like he will for sure get minutes but I'm not sure how much the other three challenge for some.

Someone is gonna transfer and they will add Harris to the class. So they will have 2 PG's coming in

• Optimistic
Reactions: Stereotype

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Put me in the camp of being willing to be money that NWB starts next year, barring some transfer or NBA weirdness.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Put me in the camp of being willing to be money that NWB starts next year, barring some transfer or NBA weirdness.

NWB will be a 5th year senior and will have been in the program longer than anyone heading into next year. Unless THT arrives on campus capable of averaging 20 ppg from day 1 NWB deserves, has earned, and will start.

Help Support Us

Become a patron