Marial Shayok Commits to ISU

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Heard it yesterday. One assistant feels that we have the talent to win the conference next year. Coaches are really excited about Shayok AND Jacobsen plus the talent coming in. Jake's personal opinion is that Wigginton and Lard are the only for sure current players that will start next year. According to Jake, the rest, even Young, might have trouble finding minutes.

For those that can listen go to the 24 minute mark.

Interesting to hear an assistant comment that highly about the talent level for next year. Alot of people disagreed with me when I said there may be enough TALENT in the program to win it all. I feel like it's not a stretch to say that if people in the program are saying we could win the conference next year. I feel like the winner of the Big 12 has a legit shot of possibly cutting down the nets.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Interesting to hear an assistant comment that highly about the talent level for next year. Alot of people disagreed with me when I said there may be enough TALENT in the program to win it all. I feel like it's not a stretch to say that if people in the program are saying we could win the conference next year. I feel like the winner of the Big 12 has a legit shot of possibly cutting down the nets.

We'll have the raw talent to win the NC, absolutely. But it's getting them to play together and accept their roles that is challenging. Remember when UK won the championship and didn't make the tourney the following year? it wasn't due to lack of talent.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Jake and Jess were asked about Nick. Said that he has a very high basketball IQ, Jess thinks he will be a D1 coach someday. But Jake feels that unless Nick can prove that he is willing to take his man to the basket that he "will not be a top 15-20 guard next year".

Welp, Jake is entitled to his opinion, but I'm of the opinion that a point guard that averages 12/7/7 and almost a 3:1 assist to Bohannon ratio ain't sitting. And as far as taking his man to the basket, it seems to me that is a part of his game that's improving. I do like that we'll have enough talent around the program that this is even a discussion.

• Agree
Reactions: rob05 and Zyklon

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Depends on the year and if any Kentucky super-team is standing in your way, but in most years, any team in the Top 25 should be good enough to win it all if they have a lucky draw, have some luck, hit some big shots, and play hot and up to their abilities.

We had teams good enough each of the last six years, with the possible exception of the Royce year when nobody was making it past Kentucky, to beat anybody and, therefore, with just the right set of circumstances, to make it all the way through to the end.

The stars never aligned for us just right. I think Prohm will have the program back to that level soon enough at the rate things are progressing right now.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think he forgot about NWB. It will be interesting to see how it all comes together. If what Jake said is true the team is getting a better talent upgrade than many thought.

I think they forgot about Solomon Young too. He might not have as big a role as this year, but he's going to still be a big contributor next year.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
No way Babb isn't starting. I like Sullivan, but that's just stupid.

Pretty sure Prohm loves the hard work and effort that Babb is putting in lately as well. Even if Wigginton makes huge strides as a ball handler and facilitator, it would be silly to push NWB out of the lineup.

• Funny
Reactions: WastedTalent

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
We'll have the raw talent to win the NC, absolutely. But it's getting them to play together and accept their roles that is challenging. Remember when UK won the championship and didn't make the tourney the following year? it wasn't due to lack of talent.

That's been the key every year since Hoibergs second season here and Prohms done the same. Once everyone figures out their role, everything start to slide into place. Add in the right amount of talent and you have a Sweet 16 or better team.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
LOL KU will have 6 mcD's AA on its roster next year and we're thinking our roster is stacked?

we're just getting started assembling the kind of talent needed to compete!
It's how you put the pieces together. Carlton Bragg was a mcd's AA, so was Cliff Alexander.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I will agree that Shayok probably has a more rounded game and a bigger body to throw at people, but Jackson is one of the best shooters in the conference.

We need shooters. Losing our best one without any obvious snipers coming online after him does make me a little worried about our spacing next year.

Our half-court offense struggles because we lack two things...

-- big men who are skilled enough to beat anybody one-on-one on the block
-- enough shooters to space the floor for drives or those same big men

An offense based on slashers might suffer a little. I am sure the obvious solution is just to turn on the nitro jets and base our offense around transition, however.

I've wondered about this too. Next year we'll have more talent and size, but I think the shooting will be one area where we regress a little. We may have to run the offense a little differently. That said, I think Shayok is solid as a three point shooter, so maybe we won't regress. It will be interesting, but we certainly will have more talent, size and depth next year. Hope we can maximize it!

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I've wondered about this too. Next year we'll have more talent and size, but I think the shooting will be one area where we regress a little. We may have to run the offense a little differently. That said, I think Shayok is solid as a three point shooter, so maybe we won't regress. It will be interesting, but we certainly will have more talent, size and depth next year. Hope we can maximize it!
That's what people said about this year. I think we'll shoot just fine next year with Shayok, Wigginton and hopefully THT, NWB, Young, Lewis, whoever else.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I think they forgot about Solomon Young too. He might not have as big a role as this year, but he's going to still be a big contributor next year.
I thought they mentioned him but were just really high on Lard and Jacobson.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
LOL KU will have 6 mcD's AA on its roster next year and we're thinking our roster is stacked?

we're just getting started assembling the kind of talent needed to compete!
Our roster will be stacked with guys who have already proven it at this level. Babb/Shayok/Wigginton/Jacobson/Lard/Young. KU will be stacked with talented players who haven't really proven it yet De Sousa/Dotson/McCormack/Grimes/Preston

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's what people said about this year. I think we'll shoot just fine next year with Shayok, Wigginton and hopefully THT, NWB, Young, Lewis, whoever else.

LAST YEAR...
---
3% overall = 40.0%
conference 3% = 42.3%

THIS YEAR...
---
3% overall = 35.1%
conference 3% = 32.2%

That is a pretty significant drop-off from the best collection of shooters in ISU history -- great ones in Naz, Matt, and Donovan and good ones in Monté and Deonte. I know that might be impossible to replicate, but we should try to be trending towards it, not away, and that is going to be hard to do when you lose a 40%+ shooter in #4.

We attempt approximately 20 three pointers per game. Most teams do.

If we were shooting 42% instead of 32%, we would have six more points per game.

We would be 4-1 right now instead of 1-4.

I am confident we can find other ways and replace Jackson by committee, but our half court offense is going to suffer (and is suffering) from this lack of outside shooting.

Reactions: isutrevman

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Good point. I think Young will still be a big contributor though. Interested to see what Jacobson can bring though.
Yeah, I think Young will still get more than 20 minutes a game. I don't see how you can keep him off the court unless Lard, Jacobson, and an incoming freshman are all freakishly good.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
LAST YEAR...
---
3% overall = 40.0%
conference 3% = 42.3%

THIS YEAR...
---
3% overall = 35.1%
conference 3% = 32.2%

That is a pretty significant drop-off from the best collection of shooters in ISU history -- great ones in Naz, Matt, and Donovan and good ones in Monté and Deonte. I know that might be impossible to replicate, but we should try to be trending towards it, not away, and that is going to be hard to do when you lose a 40%+ shooter in #4.

We attempt approximately 20 three pointers per game. Most teams do.

If we were shooting 42% instead of 32%, we would have six more points per game.

We would be 4-1 right now instead of 1-4.

I am confident we can find other ways and replace Jackson by committee, but our half court offense is going to suffer (and is suffering) from this lack of outside shooting.
The person I was responding to said we would regress from this year to next year. I'm not exactly sure where you stand on that. Do you think we'll regress even more next year?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The person I was responding to said we would regress from this year to next year. I'm not exactly sure where you stand on that. Do you think we'll regress even more next year?

I guess I hope we tread water on our long-range shooting.

Jackson is a loss. I would hope the addition of Shayok and just marginal improvement from everybody else is enough to keep us relatively even.

Last year's team was a special collection of snipers. I remember being at the WVU game in Morgantown watching warm-ups and talking to some neighboring Mountaineers. Naz, Matt, and Donovan were making everything. They were worried...

"Dang, lots of shots going in on your end."

They won that game, but we kept it close, and we got them in Kansas City.

Good shooters solve a lot of other problems in the modern game of basketball.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron