Is the Brewery era over?

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
No but Bud is good. It tastes good. I love it.
Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
No but Bud is good. It tastes good. I love it.

Well, you just said that the fact that something's popular means it's good, and certainly objectively better than something less popular.

McDonald's is pretty popular.

If you prefer Bud to real beer, that's fine. It's your preference. It's popularity certainly doesn't mean it's objectively better.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Totally serious and not only that. You are the ones who have to keep searching for new beer. I have my beer wherever I want to go, I like it, it tastes good. It's not like I am the only one to like it. Then again I am pretty much against all things Hipster.

I know you're sort of under attack here for saying you like Bud Light, but dismissing craft beers as just some hipster thing is lazy. Some people like to try new stuff. It's great that you have a go-to that's widely available, but check out the craft section of the liquor section or pop into Confluence some time. Pretty wide range of people, not all flannel wearing-neck beard-handlebar mustache-ski caps in 70 degree weather types.

• Agree
Reactions: isukendall

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Totally serious and not only that. You are the ones who have to keep searching for new beer. I have my beer wherever I want to go, I like it, it tastes good. It's not like I am the only one to like it. Then again I am pretty much against all things Hipster.

I like the occasional good craft beer and if I'm going to have one or two after work, there's a good chance I'll go that route. However, if I'm hanging with the fellas or looking for my "binge beer" it'll be Busch Light every time. Both have their place.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I like the occasional good craft beer and if I'm going to have one or two after work, there's a good chance I'll go that route. However, if I'm hanging with the fellas or looking for my "binge beer" it'll be Busch Light every time. Both have their place.

I'll also drink Busch Light, or whatever's cheap in these same scenarios. I have nothing against it at all. Just like I'll eat McDonald's over a great burger in certain scenarios.

Cheap and easy always has a spot in the rotation.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I like Bud Light and drink it quite often, particularly golfing.

But it's flavored water.

Reactions: Al_4_State

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

With a little practice you can binge higher ABV beers. I have faith in you.
vauEUgn.gif

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Super late to this, but imo, if you aren't canning or bottling within your first year of existence you will not last.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I definitely think some restaurants and breweries are noticing there's an advantage to charging a fair price for a pint of beer rather than an inflated premium price. Here in LA the prices are insane, often a bar or restaurant won't have a single beer under $8/9 and $10 is the norm...but just in the past year or so I've notice a lot of restaurants, even some really high end places where the average meal is in the $100 range, taking the prices back around the $5-6 range. There's a rapidly growing brewery near where I work charging $4 for some truly incredible stuff and they are packed constantly with a crowd of around 100 as some of these other places get less busy.

For the record I just pass if I"m somewhere that wants $11-12 for a beer. ;-)

What brewery?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Super late to this, but imo, if you aren't canning or bottling within your first year of existence you will not last.

I disagree completely. The best breweries in Iowa have been slow to can or bottle. TG, Confluence, Pulpit, Alluvial, 515 were all very slow to that process, and really, outside of TG & Confluence those breweries are only bottling special releases and canning crowlers. In my experience, it seems that places that are bottling and canning right away tend to be the mediocre to bad breweries.

I know both the head brewers at Pulpit pretty well, and they've said that their best margins are on the stuff that they sell at the tap room.

There's a size point where you can be very profitable without bottling or canning so long as you have high sales volumes at your tap room. Breweries that consistently create great beers and draw people to their tap rooms before trying to get product out the door seem to fair much better in my experiences.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I disagree completely. The best breweries in Iowa have been slow to can or bottle. TG, Confluence, Pulpit, Alluvial, 515 were all very slow to that process, and really, outside of TG & Confluence those breweries are only bottling special releases and canning crowlers. In my experience, it seems that places that are bottling and canning right away tend to be the mediocre to bad breweries.

I know both the head brewers at Pulpit pretty well, and they've said that their best margins are on the stuff that they sell at the tap room.

There's a size point where you can be very profitable without bottling or canning so long as you have high sales volumes at your tap room. Breweries that consistently create great beers and draw people to their tap rooms before trying to get product out the door seem to fair much better in my experiences.

That may work for Pulpit and the Iowa guys that opened their breweries 5+ years ago, but that is no longer working. New breweries have to do can/bottle releases to get their following up. It's being done all over the the US right now and its allowing more people across the nation to try their product. I've seen multiple breweries expand because of their nationwide following in just the last 6-8 months. Beer trading will be an integral piece in the future of this industry whether people want to believe it or not. Barn Town gets it. Staying only local is fine if that is what you want to do, but if you want people outside of a 30 mile radius to try your beer you better start canning/bottling.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Dangerous Man up here in the cities does growlers, crowlers and special release bottles but that's it. They aren't on tap anywhere and don't do cans or bottles. I have no doubt they are doing very well since the place is always packed (as it should be since the beer is great).