Is the Brewery era over?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Dangerous Man up here in the cities does growlers, crowlers and special release bottles but that's it. They aren't on tap anywhere and don't do cans or bottles. I have no doubt they are doing very well since the place is always packed (as it should be since the beer is great).

Yup. Forager in Rochester follows a similar model, and has the same results.

I've been to Dangerous Man 3-4 times and it's always a zoo.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That may work for Pulpit and the Iowa guys that opened their breweries 5+ years ago, but that is no longer working. New breweries have to do can/bottle releases to get their following up. It's being done all over the the US right now and its allowing more people across the nation to try their product. I've seen multiple breweries expand because of their nationwide following in just the last 6-8 months. Beer trading will be an integral piece in the future of this industry whether people want to believe it or not. Barn Town gets it. Staying only local is fine if that is what you want to do, but if you want people outside of a 30 mile radius to try your beer you better start canning/bottling.

Pulpit opened in 2015.

All of these breweries have ways of getting their product out through trading (crowlers being the chief method), but it's not a traditionally distributed canning process.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Pulpit opened in 2015.

All of these breweries have ways of getting their product out through trading (crowlers being the chief method), but it's not a traditionally distributed canning process.

I'm not talking about distro, I am talking about in-house releases where people line up for hrs to get beer. Of course there are ways for these guys to get their stuff out but it's not enough. All I am saying is if you are new brewery trying to get your name out there you better make good beer and you better can/bottle. As I said to begin with this is my op, but it's how the industry is working right now.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not talking about distro, I am talking about in-house releases where people line up for hrs to get beer. Of course there are ways for these guys to get their stuff out but it's not enough. All I am saying is if you are new brewery trying to get your name out there you better make good beer and you better can/bottle. As I said to begin with this is my op, but it's how the industry is working right now.

Got ya.

Yeah, all of these places are doing that. I thought you were referring to distro products.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Dangerous Man up here in the cities does growlers, crowlers and special release bottles but that's it. They aren't on tap anywhere and don't do cans or bottles. I have no doubt they are doing very well since the place is always packed (as it should be since the beer is great).

We had crowlers from 4 different breweries delivered in Edina on Xmas eve. Non-traditional distribution is becoming a thing.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I can't speak for the one in DM, however the GC in CR seems to still have good crowds, despite the competition.

I've been to the Rock Bottom in Chicago far more than the one in DM and it was usually packed and decent.

Yup. CR good crowd of pretentious people who don't know beer.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
391C91D8-36F6-4631-9080-3D31E2D76450.jpeg

With its eclectic industrial motif, the American Icon Brewery in Vero Beach, Florida seems poised for a long-term run. Occupying a former diesel powered electrical power plant that’s registered on the national list of historic places, the tapping station is housed in the side of the one remaining two-story-tall engines.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
- Have you ever tried anything from Another Road? I gave them 3 strikes before I learned my lesson. Their beers were among the worst commercially produced beers I've ever tried.

I have tried beer brewed at Another Road. In my opinion, what they brewed in their old 5 gallon system at their old location in Marion was far superior to the beer they had when they moved to their new location. I'm not sure if that is also when they started brewing at their Cedar Rapids brewing facility or not (as I could never ascertain the status of that production facility). But I do know that water in Cedar Rapids is significantly different than the water in Marion (sodium in the Marion water is about 6x what it is in Cedar Rapids).

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
So, thru the grape vine, Olde Main is for sale.
Also, there is a brewery in Carroll close to opening in an older building. Owners are also tied in to Boone Valley.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It is true. Remember though about Alluvial, they are tied into the winery.

I'm not suggesting they get rid of their current set up. Thought I'd heard they were looking at expansion due to demand and this could give them that ability. Take a similar approach to what Singlespeed is doing between their Waterloo and Cedar Falls locations. Waterloo has a bigger space with a restaurant included and brews their flagship beers. Cedar Falls is a smaller, cozier bar set up that brews pilot batches of experimental beers.

Penguin

Aug 13, 2017
Ames
Last time I was in Olde Main, it was awful. The place was filthy. I tried three different beers and didn't like a single one. Would love to see someone take over who knows how to brew a decent beer.

Olde Main was only successful because it literally had zero competition.

• Agree
Reactions: isukendall

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm not suggesting they get rid of their current set up. Thought I'd heard they were looking at expansion due to demand and this could give them that ability. Take a similar approach to what Singlespeed is doing between their Waterloo and Cedar Falls locations. Waterloo has a bigger space with a restaurant included and brews their flagship beers. Cedar Falls is a smaller, cozier bar set up that brews pilot batches of experimental beers.
Yeah not an awful idea. That family would have the money to deal with Olde Main but that's just a huge space. Who knows if they want to get into food. Someone substantial would have to take over the place, wonder if it was available a year ago if Jethros would have considered it.
A place I do miss is Pazessco but he did close Oddfellows as well, so who knows the cash situation he's in.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Last time I was in Olde Main, it was awful. The place was filthy. I tried three different beers and didn't like a single one. Would love to see someone take over who knows how to brew a decent beer.

The night of Paul Shirley's book signing, they were out of 4 beers. How the **** is a brewery out of FOUR beers.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

This. Their beer was consistently average at best. The only one I ever really enjoyed was the Reindeer Fuel. They used to have decent food, but it was always overpriced, and in recent years has gone way down hill. Anymore, they don't do anything special at all. Not surprised its for sale. That said, it's a very good location, and the building is beautiful. If you got the right business in there, run by someone who knew what they were doing, and had a good hook, it's got all of the pieces to be very successful.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
We're thinking about taking a road trip to Madison, WI in a few weeks. We'll probably hit New Glarus at some point. Anybody have thoughts on what other breweries in Madison are worth a stop? There's not that many so we may end up hitting them all, but still interested to hear opinions.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We're thinking about taking a road trip to Madison, WI in a few weeks. We'll probably hit New Glarus at some point. Anybody have thoughts on what other breweries in Madison are worth a stop? There's not that many so we may end up hitting them all, but still interested to hear opinions.

Karben 4 and Ale Asylum are both very good.

I thought Ale Asylum was overrated for a long time, but was in last year and their offerings really impressed me.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I guess I'm the exception to the rule. I've always liked Dinky wheat from old Main, but to each their own. Last time I was there was probably 2 summers ago.