ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Very horrible. I've mainly only seen the promos and the first 5 minutes or so after my PTI recordings, but it's bad. Everything seems awkward and forced, like someone is poking them with a stick saying "be more hip!".

I've mistakenly watched it before when it was left on that channel and it's equally as bad.
whats bad is both personalities are good at what they do. Just let them cover the news without forcing personality into the situation. I dont need kanye news while watching sc.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Mike and Mike just said that their 18 year old radio/TV show will be coming to an end later this year. Both are staying with ESPN. It's been reported that Mike Greenberg will be hosting a morning Sportscenter-type show which will begin later this year. Mike Golic shared a little more details - he will still have the same time-slot for radio and TV, only his show will be moving to ESPNU. He will be joined by Mike Golic Jr and Trey Wingo as co-hosts.
That sounds like the death spiral for them.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Credit to CyinDFW for finding this article. Figured this thread should be bumped. Mike & Mike are also bringing their radio show to a close in the coming weeks.

But Mike & Mike aren't really going away. They're just replacing Greenberg with Trey Wingo and then he's going to be getting his own show on ESPN.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I see they moved Linda Cohn to the pre-dawn weekend anchor a few months ago, maybe that's a sign she is on the way out.

Never quite understood why they need 4-5 people on Sportscenter anyways. It's more of a roundtable discussion. Just bring in a watercooler and some people off the street as they would be more interesting that the current morning shows.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and Acylum

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I see they moved Linda Cohn to the pre-dawn weekend anchor a few months ago, maybe that's a sign she is on the way out.

Never quite understood why they need 4-5 people on Sportscenter anyways. It's more of a roundtable discussion. Just bring in a watercooler and some people off the street as they would be more interesting that the current morning shows.

It's not actually the "pre-dawn weekend anchor", it's the West Coast weekend anchor (which essentially amounts to the same thing for those of us living east of the Continental Divide after all of the taping and replaying they do for "overnight")

• Dislike
Reactions: Nozick

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe it's a sign they just have too many networks. Just have the main channel do sports center and the talk shows and use the remaining channels for live sports only. There's no reason to have so many pregame and talk shows on all the time. Why have Sunday morning NFL coverage on ESPN and ESPN2?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I don't do fantasy football but you can't seriously tell me they need a 3 hour fantasy show on Sunday mornings. If you watch that every Sunday, don't procreate.

Sirius/XM has an entire channel dedicated to fantasy sports. Never have listened to it.

BigDH01

Oct 17, 2011
The writing was on the wall, cable subscriptions are declining. I've been "mostly" off of cable for several years only subscribing for a few months for college football. This year I'm on Hulu which gives me access to every game I could want so cable is gone for good for me. I guess I'm technically a millennial and my generation is just used to convenient content (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix) and cable is no longer a good value regardless of content. The political angle is just ********, all of cable is in trouble. Cable/content providers should've been proactive and offered a la carte content as soon as Netflix streaming appeared on the scene although it looks like they'll recover their monopoly profits by killing net neutrality instead. Leave it to the government to protect greedy dinosaurs that make insane profits even while treating their customers like ****.

I will say, however, that even watching live CFB (which is all I ever did on ESPN) is getting bad just due to the length of the games. The commercial breaks are out of hand. At this rate, I won't be watching CFB at all in a couple of years and I'll just wait for highlights to hit YouTube.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron