ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
More layoffs are in the works. Not so much on air but still, ESPN is falling apart.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2017/11/29/espn-layoffs/108123260/

The company says it will grow its business in several key areas, including the planned launch early next year of “ESPN+”, an app-based service that will allow viewers to purchase sporting events a la carte.

Wonder what this approach might do to deals that they have with the Slings/Hulus/PSVues of the cord-cutting world.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
You might be overreacting a little bit, there. ESPN has over 4000 employees, just in Bristol. Letting 150 of them go doesn't exactly mean they're "falling apart."

Probably the wrong word choice, but IMO we could be seeing the end of ESPN in the semi near future

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Probably the wrong word choice, but IMO we could be seeing the end of ESPN in the semi near future

hmm, I think you're still overreacting a bit. Will it be different? Most definitely. The way people consume television has changed significantly. The entire cable industry is showing that changes are needed to the business model, not just ESPN. Shoot, FS1 went through their own big round of layoffs this summer. The industry is changing.

But for all of their viewer losses, ESPN isn't losing money. It's still quite profitable, just not as much as it . It's not going away any time soon. There's still far too much money being made.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
hmm, I think you're still overreacting a bit. Will it be different? Most definitely. The way people consume television has changed significantly. The entire cable industry is showing that changes are needed to the business model, not just ESPN. Shoot, FS1 went through their own big round of layoffs this summer. The industry is changing.

But for all of their viewer losses, ESPN isn't losing money. It's still quite profitable, just not as much as it . It's not going away any time soon. There's still far too much money being made.

Is it going to be there going forward?
I have my doubts.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Is it going to be there going forward?
I have my doubts.
Sure it is. It may be a smaller pie than it is now, but the demand for sports isn't going away.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
ESPN is going through growing pains IMO. They’re shifting their entire platform from cable to digital and are struggling like a lot of media outlets.

As long as ESPN can afford live college football and basketball, they’ll be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr Janny

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
ESPN is going through growing pains IMO. They’re shifting their entire platform from cable to digital and are struggling like a lot of media outlets.

As long as ESPN can afford live college football and basketball, they’ll be fine.

This. It's a transition. The product that comes out the other side might not look exactly like the product we're getting now, but there will still be a product, and there will be plenty of demand for it. They offer something that a lot of people want. It may not be as many people as there have been in the past, but it's still more than enough to turn a profit.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

I think ESPN's biggest problem was overpaying for so many sports. $1.9 billion for Monday Night Football through 2021 is just one example.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I think ESPN's biggest problem was overpaying for so many sports. $1.9 billion for Monday Night Football through 2021 is just one example.

Agreed. I personally think it'd be dumb for them to get any more NFL games in the future. Stick to college football, college basketball, and NBA. Those three can carry them and are pretty cheap

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron