jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Clash_of_Champions_Logo.png

WWE Clash of Champions

TD Garden, Boston, MA

Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:00 Eastern/7:00 Central

PPV/WWE Network

Only one PPV this month - or, the only one announced so far. Hopefully it ends better than the cluster that was Survivor Series.

• Dislike
Reactions: Nozick and Macloney

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
With Paige returning, Mandy and Sonya debuting tonight and with the rumors of Peyton and Billie (and perhaps others) debuting on SmackDown tomorrow and the Bellas returning around Royal Rumble, I’m beginning to wonder if there isn’t something to the rumor that they’re going to do a women’s Royal Rumble match this year. Would make sense to stock the rosters now.

• Dislike
Reactions: Nozick

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
With Paige returning, Mandy and Sonya debuting tonight and with the rumors of Peyton and Billie (and perhaps others) debuting on SmackDown tomorrow and the Bellas returning around Royal Rumble, I’m beginning to wonder if there isn’t something to the rumor that they’re going to do a women’s Royal Rumble match this year. Would make sense to stock the rosters now.

Brie is coming back?

Also for those not familiar who exactly are these two new ones that debuted tonight and rumored for tomorrow? Other than their names.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Brie is coming back?

Also for those not familiar who exactly are these two new ones that debuted tonight and rumored for tomorrow? Other than their names.

The two ladies that debuted last night were on the last season of Tough Enough - Amanda Saccomanno (Mandy Rose) and Daria Berenato (Sonia Deville) - the season that Paige was a judge. That's the connection between these three women and I am absolutely willing to bet that's how they're going to play it.

As for SDL debuts, there are several names going around.

The obvious first two are the ones I've already mentioned - Peyton Royce and Billie Kay. They refer to themselves as "Iconic" or "the Iconic Duo", and if you've been watching NXT for the last year you're already familiar with them. If not, they're essentially the Mean Girls of NXT, but their character work is so on point it's made them almost too popular to boo them. Of the potential NXT call-ups for tonight, they're the most ready for the promotion (and they were seen "flirting" with Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam).

The next two are rumored because they were actually backstage at Raw last night, so the suspicion is they're actually there for SDL since it's also in Houston tonight. The first is Ruby Riot (if you're familiar with the indy scene, you would know her as Heidi Lovelace). If you're not familiar with her, she's kind of like a "punk rock" version of Paige (to her Goth "glampire"). Ruby has a real chance to succeed because, like Paige, she's a crowd magnet and it will be hard to turn her heel if they decide to. The other is Liv Morgan, who is essentially a Carmella clone with the exception that she's actually from the New York metro (Carmella is billed from Staten Island but is actually from Worchester, MA), is better in the ring but has nowhere near Carmella's mic skills. I have a hard time believing Liv will stick, but she's been at NXT for 3 years and this may be "sink or swim" time is she's called up.

The last visible possible women's promotion would be Nikki Cross - a pure psychopath of a character that got so over with the crowd that they had to turn her face. Character work on point, ring work impressive, good on the mic. The reason why she's unlikely to be promoted is you would think that they would promote her at the same time as they promote the rest of SAnitY, but that's unlikely because they still hold the NXT tag titles. They could separate her, but then, as good as the character is, there's no context for it, and with this kind of a character you really need context to understand it.

Ember Moon won't be promoted right now - it would completely defeat the purpose of putting the NXT Women's title on her after Asuka vacated it due to her main roster promotion, especially after the "passing of the torch" moment that happened at TakeOver.

There are a few men rumored to be called up as well, mostly Authors of Pain to compete in a tag division and Hideo Itami to compete on 205 Live.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
I need to do some looking, but I do remember seeing Paige thanking Mandy and a couple other wrestlers for their help when she was at the Performance Center shaking her rust off.

I remember Mandy specifically, because I remember thinking "Mandy Rose? Really?". That type of work is generally reserved for the "top dogs" (Bayley worked with Nikki Bella). And if Mandy was killing it on the Florida house shows (as jdog has mentioned on Cageside), then that would make sense both for working Paige back into ring shape, and the main roster promotion.

EDIT: Other wrestlers were Nikki Cross, Ruby Riot, and Ember Moon.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I need to do some looking, but I do remember seeing Paige thanking Mandy and a couple other wrestlers for their help when she was at the Performance Center shaking her rust off.

I remember Mandy specifically, because I remember thinking "Mandy Rose? Really?". That type of work is generally reserved for the "top dogs" (Bayley worked with Nikki Bella). And if Mandy was killing it on the Florida house shows (as jdog has mentioned on Cageside), then that would make sense both for working Paige back into ring shape, and the main roster promotion.

EDIT: Other wrestlers were Nikki Cross, Ruby Riot, and Ember Moon.

There's something else I forgot to mention about Mandy Rose - the rumor about why she was for the most part kept off NXT TV is because she's going to get the Braun Strowman treatment. They see her essentially as the next Trish Stratus, they have big things planned for her, and they didn't want to waste her down at NXT. It's all up to her (and Paige) to develop her on the main roster. But yeah, anyone that's seen her perform a house show (not me, just relaying what I've been seeing), she's really good, especially for someone that has very little experience.

• Dislike
Reactions: Nozick

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Seriously it makes no sense to do the same "invasion" angle on both shows unless they were connected....

Also really happy to see Paige back. Asuka's going to kill her at Mania now if Paige beats Alexa at the Rumble or wins the EC match if there is one....match will be fun at least

Also there's rumors about the TV rights, apparently ESPN and Fox are in on the chase along with USA. I'm expecting USA to get the rights but something to consider as UFC is probably waiting to see what WWE renews for or signs with Fox for.