Mike Warren?

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Thought this question deserved its own thread.

Why didn't Mike Warren play in the Baylor game? Is it because he is turnover prone, is he injured, or is he in Campbell's doghouse again?

Thought Croney Jr. looked fantastic. Could he have simply beat him out?

I feel terrible for Mike, just because of how promising his career looked to be. Looks like his time may be coming to a close at ISU.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Warren needs a hole to run straight ahead, fumble prone, not a great catcher and can't cut it very well. This O-line can not do what Warren needs to be successful. Croney beat him out. Rumor is Warren will Grad Transfer.
Good running back but doesn't fit the current scheme.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Croney looked more like a back that fits what they're doing or what they want to do. Gotta be strong at the point of contact and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Warren doesn't fit that. Feel bad for him after such a promising first year but apparently CMC really stocked up.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If true best of of luck to Warren wherever he should go, such great potential, happy he stuck it out through the transition, and best of luck to him in the future. Would love to see him stay here though.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone5050

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

Why didn't Mike Warren play in the Baylor game? Is it because he is turnover prone, is he injured, or is he in Campbell's doghouse again?

I feel terrible for Mike, just because of how promising his career looked to be. Looks like his time may be coming to a close at ISU.
Answered your own question.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think the best way to illustrate why Warren hasn't played as much as he could be is the following:

Montgomery has broken 101 tackles this year.

Were Warren in the same position I'm going to guess he might have broken about 20 of those.

Warren has good straight ahead speed, but is not as shifty or tough as Montgomery.

Croney is more similar to Montgomery than Warren is. So he gives the team a similar style of play in DMs absence.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
We have the best running game in 20 years and people feel bad for the back-up? You should be praising the staff for having the guts to pull the guy that was having success for a guy that could end up being the 2nd best back in ISU history

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I wish Mike the best. A lot of people in his spot would have bounced by now but it shows he has a lot of character. We get Kene back next year, so I can't blame Mike if he decides to move on.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
We have the best running game in 20 years and people feel bad for the back-up? You should be praising the staff for having the guts to pull the guy that was having success for a guy that could end up being the 2nd best back in ISU history
It do not necessarily feel sorry Warren and his lessened playing time (or conversely, the decision for Montgomery to get the majority of rush attempts).

But it does bother me when people speculate about why Warren hasn't played as much that is not entirely based in fact....and then use it as a platform to be overly critical of a player.

There are two primary reasons: 1) David Montgomery and 2) Warren has been injured the past couple weeks.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Mike seems to be a team first guy. Very active on Twitter saying everything you'd want him to say. He does need a line that can give him a lane, but when he gets it, can be very, very dangerous.

Would not be surprised, or upset, if he grad transferred for another opportunity. With changing style and line abilities, bet the coaches would help him find a good fit.

And yes seems like there is no rift between all the RBs, which is impressive considering the changing fortunes of MW (down), Croney (up), Nwagnwu (injured):

Jeff Prohm

Nov 18, 2017
Dallas, Texas

Mike warren is a great player and I loved him as a player but I think it's best if he maybe goes to UNI or another Iowa school

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Mike Warren would aboslutely lay waste to defenses with Iowa's O-line. No way Campbell would ever release him to Iowa, but maybe Wisconsin? He might not be the most impact friendly back but give him a running lane and watch him fly.

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
I would have a hard time believing Wisconsin or another major D1 program would pick him up... I would be more than happy for Mike if that's the case though. He appears to be a great kid.