RECRUITING: Football commits

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
lol chill...why so aggressive? I know you're a fairweather fan...but Re-al is a duel-threat QB..he runs arguably better than he throws. He got benched this year in place of a Sophomore. The difference between a pocket qb and a duel threat are -duel threat qbs are generally faster have superior agility, etc.. Also..he's listed anywhere from 5'10- 5'11 1/2...so hes not the 6'4 or 6'5 qb that Noland and Kempt are, so height isnt ideal. Hopefully, hes the next Russell Wilson, but I dont think so.

Be nicer.
I don't blame him. Your question was stupid.

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
I don't blame him. Your question was stupid.

Not really..this staff plays their best players...If Re-al is one of our better players, but not at qb..they would move him...see current player- Joel Lanning.

Again, a general question...didnt mean to lure out all these trolls...guess it's that easy.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Not really..this staff plays their best players...If Re-al is one of our better players, but not at qb..they would move him...see current player- Joel Lanning.

Again, a general question...didnt mean to lure out all these trolls...guess it's that easy.
Yeah they'll get ya when you least expect it. Traditionally right after a discussion point. How dare you propose something from left field to talk about!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
lol chill...why so aggressive? I know you're a fairweather fan...but Re-al is a duel-threat QB..he runs arguably better than he throws. He got benched this year in place of a Sophomore. The difference between a pocket qb and a duel threat are -duel threat qbs are generally faster have superior agility, etc.. Also..he's listed anywhere from 5'10- 5'11 1/2...so hes not the 6'4 or 6'5 qb that Noland and Kempt are, so height isnt ideal. Hopefully, hes the next Russell Wilson, but I dont think so.

Be nicer.
My apologies, but this has been brought up far too often with the same poor reasoning. Re-al isn’t playing Iowa 1A football. Sure, players change positions all the time, but let’s stop with the he got benched angle.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Any chance we see Re-al play a different position than QB? doesnt look like he had the best of years his senior year.

He split time with a kid that's going to go wherever he wants. He's a QB. He's also going to be about even with Moore in terms of reps and Noland is going to have two springs and a fall on him. So, he's barely going to be behind. I'd be mildly surprised if he overtakes Zeb but not redshirting wouldn't shock me especially if things are relatively even. He gives you a different running dynamic than the other guys.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

What position do you think he'd play? WR? Do you know how hard it is for freshman WRs that have played WR for years to be good? It's really hard because most of them have simply been bigger and faster than everyone all of their career and they haven't had to learn how to run routes, or how to block, or how sophisticated route concepts work. So you think it's plausible that a guyt hat hasn't done any of that in probably half a decade is going to come in and be so good at that that and so bad at what he's been recruited by high level college teams to do, that the staff is going to think that he's a better fit there sitting behind about 8 other guys while we have, at absolute best, 3 existing scholarship QBs?

Yeah, that's a dumb theory.

• Agree
Reactions: CyValley

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
What position do you think he'd play? WR? Do you know how hard it is for freshman WRs that have played WR for years to be good? It's really hard because most of them have simply been bigger and faster than everyone all of their career and they haven't had to learn how to run routes, or how to block, or how sophisticated route concepts work. So you think it's plausible that a guyt hat hasn't done any of that in probably half a decade is going to come in and be so good at that that and so bad at what he's been recruited by high level college teams to do, that the staff is going to think that he's a better fit there sitting behind about 8 other guys while we have, at absolute best, 3 existing scholarship QBs?

Yeah, that's a dumb theory.

Look at our current roster. DM- QB turned RB. D-Jones- QB turned WR. Lanning- QB turned LB....I know its hard for you to take a step back and look at these positive examples because your so busy trying to be negative and impose your "knowledge" on anyone that makes a comment on here. It has less to do with the player, and more to do with the great coaching staff that we have. So, to say that its impossible for him to play a different position is saying you dont believe in our coaching staff.

Stop being a douche every chance you get. Every once in a while try and be decent and not so intolerable.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pickman and ComCY

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Look at our current roster. DM- QB turned RB. D-Jones- QB turned WR. Lanning- QB turned LB....I know its hard for you to take a step back and look at these positive examples because your so busy trying to be negative and impose your "knowledge" on anyone that makes a comment on here. It has less to do with the player, and more to do with the great coaching staff that we have. So, to say that its impossible for him to play a different position is saying you dont believe in our coaching staff.

Stop being a d0uche every chance you get. Every once in a while try and be decent and not so intolerable.

None of them were involved in the elite 11, one of them actually was at QB for four years and the other two were never recruited to play QB by anyone. The staff didn't recruit one QB in this class with the intention of moving him right away. He could switch at some point but I highly doubt it's right away when we could possibly have only two other scholarship QBs on the roster. Sorry if presenting the reality of the situation is "being a douche." Everyday discourse must be hard if that's the stance taken.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Stop being a d0uche every chance you get. Every once in a while try and be decent and not so intolerable.
What? I think it’s you that needs to step back and stop being emotional.

It’s great you want to argue what’s possible, but let’s step back and discuss what likely. It’s very unlikely the staff takes their only QB commit, one that is one of the better QB recruits the program has had, and move him to a different position, going into next year with potentially only Noland and Moore. Come on, it’s you that’s attacking and being negative.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe and ComCY

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016

Be nicer.

We've been over this, he got benched for a sophomore that is a Top 5 QB in high school right now.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
If not the next Russell Wilson (and we cannot know that), great shot at becoming Seneca Wallace 2.0 (no, we cannot know that, either, but I'm one iSu fan who will not sell this kid short before he even steps onto campus).

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He split time with a kid that's going to go wherever he wants. He's a QB. He's also going to be about even with Moore in terms of reps and Noland is going to have two springs and a fall on him. So, he's barely going to be behind. I'd be mildly surprised if he overtakes Zeb but not redshirting wouldn't shock me especially if things are relatively even. He gives you a different running dynamic than the other guys.

Noland definitely looks like ISU's QB of the future- he's got a strong arm, throws a nice deep ball and shows nice poise in the pocket for a RS freshman.

That said Campbell and his staff have shown they will leverage the talent they have. This year it was Joel Lanning in a power run package. Next year it could be Re-al as a speed option spread option QB. Would love to see Montgomery and Mitchell in the same backfield. Montgomery the power guy between the tackles and Mitchell outside. Heck with Montgomery's background as a QB they could be interchangeable in a wildcat formation.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Noland definitely looks like ISU's QB of the future- he's got a strong arm, throws a nice deep ball and shows nice poise in the pocket for a RS freshman.

That said Campbell and his staff have shown they will leverage the talent they have. This year it was Joel Lanning in a power run package. Next year it could be Re-al as a speed option spread option QB. Would love to see Montgomery and Mitchell in the same backfield. Montgomery the power guy between the tackles and Mitchell outside. Heck with Montgomery's background as a QB they could be interchangeable in a wildcat formation.

Why only talk about Montgomery between the tackles? I feel he has been effective on the edge as well.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Noland is a bit of a gunslinger. He will push the ball down the field and keep the other team honest, but we were lucky against Baylor not to have multiple picks the way he was throwing, especially in the first half.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Noland is a bit of a gunslinger. He will push the ball down the field and keep the other team honest, but we were lucky against Baylor not to have multiple picks the way he was throwing, especially in the first half.
Kempt isn’t a gunslinger, and he would have those as well.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

Move him where? We have a lot of depth at WR, RB and DB. Mitchell is too small to play LB. He is a talented QB and I'd be very surprised if he switched to another position.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron