Friday OT #3 - Water Under the Bridge

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
"Revenge: Guilt (#1.5)" (2011)
Lydia Davis: I am so happy that we're friends again!
Victoria Grayson: [smiling broadly] Well it certainly appears that way, doesn't it? But then again, appearances can be deceiving, can't they? And you've practically made it an art form. Understand something, Lydia. Every time I smile at you across a room or we run into each other at a luncheon or I welcome you into my home? Let that smile be a reminder of just how much I despise you. And that every time I hug you? The warmth you feel is my hatred burning through.
[Hugs Lydia warmly]

Ha, I watched that show! I was more like Emily though. Outwardly sweet but probably going to slash your tires and exact her revenge without you knowing.

Reactions: Buster28

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm more like harimad. I don't usually let people bother me. Others seem to get upset and all worked up about people and actions. I usually just assume they didn't really mean to be idiotic, but just weren't thinking.

However, when a line is crossed I tend to ignore that person and steer clear. I just don't want to have any interactions with them so no convo's, no 'hi', no eye contact. You don't exist. My life version of the 'ignore' feature of CF.

This is about where I am now. When I was a little younger I would hold onto grudges, but eventually I realized that actively hating or disliking someone is a waste of precious energy. Let that **** go. It's easier just to move on and keep interactions with that person to an absolute minimum.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I guess if it's someone I'm in contact with often it's pretty hard to hold a grudge. Can't say that I do that...

But yeah, some senior who ****ed with the freshman me in high school? **** that guy forever.

And like someone said, sports grudges forever. Geno Smith? **** that guy forever. Drew Gooden? **** that guy forever. Etc, etc...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I held grudges years ago for stupid high school relationship petty stuff.

Not sure if it's holding a grudge but if I find someone's behavior to be repeatedly toxic, I tend to avoid being around them or inviting them around.

Prime example is my buddy's GF who exhibits what I find to be toxic and abusive behavior consistently...it came out one night several years ago at my apartment, and since then, no invitations sent. I'm not real big on allowing others' problems becoming mine.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
And @cyclones500 makes three!

How long do you hold a grudge (“on average”)? Are you typically quick to forgive-and-forget, or do you have a tendency to let things fester longer than you want to admit? Does it depend on circumstance?

If your mindset is usually to get things in the rear-view mirror and move on, are there examples of lingering moments that you find more difficult to purge?

Examples could involve big events, trivial matters, or anything in between.

I like what Andy Andrews has to say on forgiveness. You can and should forgive, as forgiveness is about you (and your emotional well being). Trust is about them. You can forgive someone, but that doesn't mean that you should trust them in the future.

So I generally don't hold on to grudges at all, but what happens does affect how I deal with that person in the future.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
giphy.gif

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I don't generally hold grudges.

That being said, I haven't had a conversation with my brother since 2001. He lied to my parents, spent time in jail for calling in a bomb threat to his employer, stole from his employer at another job and coworkers at still another. He's over 40 years old and delivers pizza part time. So...

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I don't generally hold grudges.

That being said, I haven't had a conversation with my brother since 2001. He lied to my parents, spent time in jail for calling in a bomb threat to his employer, stole from his employer at another job and coworkers at still another. He's over 40 years old and delivers pizza part time. So...

So... you never order a pizza delivered? Your loss, dude.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I like what Andy Andrews has to say on forgiveness. You can and should forgive, as forgiveness is about you (and your emotional well being). Trust is about them. You can forgive someone, but that doesn't mean that you should trust them in the future.

So I generally don't hold on to grudges at all, but what happens does affect how I deal with that person in the future.

This has happened with relationships...an ex that was just plain awful toward me is someone I'm not going to wish awful things for, but is someone that I would never feel a need to associate myself with.

These things take time, but it's a much healthier feeling when you get past all of it.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
As I mentioned to Angie in my "F-OT Pitch Session" :) I'm generally non-grudgemental. But as for forgive-and-forget, I'm usually quick to forgive but not some much the forgetting part. That's partly because I seem to remember Lots and Lots of things that have happened, even easily forgotten and somewhat meaningless conversations.

So some things continue to fester long after I have an emotional attachment. Most grudge-worthy examples are with people who have almost no overlap in my life anymore.

I'm still annoyed with an employment/boss situation from about 15 years ago, too complex to explain here. I think about it occasionally because I'm in the same line of work and still know & work with some people who worked for him, so sometimes his name comes into conversation, then all the irritation with the situation floods my frontal cortex, or whatever part of the brain it is where thoughts are formed.

I suppose that qualifies as a grudge.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
I think it depends on your formative years and how your parents taught you to behave and react whether it was by their example or passively. I grew up around men in my family and male relatives who held grudges. You never really knew what the problem was though. Major passive aggressiveness that was ingrained into my attitude. Generally speaking, good fit relationships should work well without trying to put square pegs into round holes. Sometimes it's best to just keep your distance if someone just is not a good fit for you, rather than trying to make it work. Life is too short.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I haven't talked to my Grandma in over 5 years. So, I hold a grudge for awhile.

got you beat there. Think it's been 12 on that front. In my defense, they are terrible people. So it's not a grudge, it's cutting toxic people out of your life.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have a couple but I give folks multiple chances to make right before the grudge kicks into gear. You have to reall **** me over a couple of times, then it’s over.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
got you beat there. Think it's been 12 on that front. In my defense, they are terrible people. So it's not a grudge, it's cutting toxic people out of your life.

Yeah, looking back, she wasnt the greatest person, so in the long run, it is probably for the better. Although, I dont think its as crazy a story as yours.

Help Support Us

Become a patron