New Mattress Shopping

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
So they sell the exact same mattress but just in different sizes? I'm just trying to wrap my head around how they cater and keep happy when people can have such wildly different preferences in mattresses.
Yes, they only have one type of mattress with the traditional sizes (twin, full, queen, king, california king). What sold us were the awesome reviews on here and on Amazon plus the 100 nights trial. If you don't like it, you donate it to a local charity then show the donation receipt to Tuft & Needle. They will then give you a full refund.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
For those who've recently bought a mattress discussed on this thread -- do you use a foundation or some type of what we used to call box springs with it? Our bed frame is part of a bedroom set, so there's only two or three wood slats at its base as a kind of added support for the foundation. I don't know how just a mattress like the T&N could be used without something below it.

Almost all mattresses sold today do not need a box spring -- as in, an actual box of springs. So there are two ways you can go:

- Buy a "foundation" -- basically, it takes the place of a box spring but it's sole function is to raise the height. It does not change the feel of the mattress at all. (Note some are called a "box spring" but there are not actual springs inside, it's just a throwback name so people will understand it's function.) Then use it on you existing bed frame, and put your mattress of choice on top of the foundation.
Zinus-BoxSpring-On-Bed.jpg

- Buy a platform bed. Even more confusing, some are called "foundations" even though it's just a platform that serves as a bed.

platform%2B2.JPG

Yes, either of these would work fine with a Tuft & Needle or their similar competitors. Feel free to PM me if you want suggestions of a specific one.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
We got our Tuft & Needle king yesterday and tried it out. So far we are extremely happy. It is much more comfortable than our old mattress. If we continue to get sleep like we did last night and the mattress holds up like people are claiming, we will never buy another brand mattress again.

Yeah, updating my previous review I would say I love ours now (we've had it for about a month).

For those who've recently bought a mattress discussed on this thread -- do you use a foundation or some type of what we used to call box springs with it? Our bed frame is part of a bedroom set, so there's only two or three wood slats at its base as a kind of added support for the foundation. I don't know how just a mattress like the T&N could be used without something below it.

Thread revival here. My wife has put me in charge of researching mattresses. We've gotten 19 years out of our old traditional pillow top but it's time to move on.

What's the 6 plus month report on the Tuft & Needle? Still liking it? Any other thoughts on Purple, Leesa, etc?

As far as the foundation goes, if you use just that and the foam mattress, aren't you pretty low to the ground? I don't know that I want to keep my box spring, but does it hurt anything if you put a foam mattress on top of an old box spring just to keep it up in the air a little? What if you put a piece of plywood or something like that in between?

Any new thoughts since last fall?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Thread revival here. My wife has put me in charge of researching mattresses. We've gotten 19 years out of our old traditional pillow top but it's time to move on.

What's the 6 plus month report on the Tuft & Needle? Still liking it? Any other thoughts on Purple, Leesa, etc?

As far as the foundation goes, if you use just that and the foam mattress, aren't you pretty low to the ground? I don't know that I want to keep my box spring, but does it hurt anything if you put a foam mattress on top of an old box spring just to keep it up in the air a little? What if you put a piece of plywood or something like that in between?

This might be a good guide:

https://www.mattress-guides.net/box-springs-foundations-and-platform-beds/

Traditional box springs are more for innerspring mattresses, while the newer foam-composed mattresses are designed more for a foundation or a platform bed. (and yes, a platform would sit lower, generally)

Reactions: ca4cy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

We've had our T&N mattress for a few years now and it's the exact same as it was when we first got it. We love it. My wife's parents got the same one and they said they like it too.

I did see when they were picking theirs out that they have some sort of "cooling" mattress that was in testing and had a limited release over black Friday weekend. Not sure if that has been fully released yet.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We've had our T&N mattress for a few years now and it's the exact same as it was when we first got it. We love it. My wife's parents got the same one and they said they like it too.

I did see when they were picking theirs out that they have some sort of "cooling" mattress that was in testing and had a limited release over black Friday weekend. Not sure if that has been fully released yet.

Winkbed has something like that as well. A cooling foundation with fans built into it. It seems expensive for what it is.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Winkbed has something like that as well. A cooling foundation with fans built into it. It seems expensive for what it is.

It was a cooling mattress, not the foundation. Some sort of different foam. I've never heard of a foundation with fans in it, but that sounds awesome if it works.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm 5 months in on a Tuft & Needle and its the best bed I've ever owned. Exactly the same as the day I unpacked it, no sagging or denting. Incredibly comfortable. I've got it sitting on the old box spring at this point.

Tuft & Needle + MyPillow and I'm sleeping better than I ever have.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

I would agree with others here, our Tuft & Needle is the same as it was after being fully unpacked. Love it.

Ours sits directly on slats on our platform style bed frame, but don't think there'd be any issues with putting it on a box spring.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Not really, they are made so that the platform bed + mattress is pretty typical height. We have this one -- http://amzn.to/2orsvex -- and it's 14" high, so with an average mattress being 11-12" tall, that's about 25-26" inches total, which is pretty typical I think.

If you want something a bit taller, there is an 18" variety too, giving you an extra 4". Just measure your current bed+mattress height and search for what you want.

(We've had the one I linked to for roughly a year and a half, it's held up great, no squeaking, etc.)

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Resurrection...

We've just purchased a new Purple mattress... Came down to Tuft n Needle and Purple and Purple won out. Delivery is in a few days.

We're getting out of the tempur-pedic brand for a few reasons - first it sleeps very hot for my wife who is in full-on transition to full woman-hood ((wo)menopause)). Second, after 8-9 years we've created holes again (which appeared several years ago)... Third, it's not an ideal mattress to pitch woo in... Very little rebound effect.

Overall I'm amazed at how many seemingly quality on-line mattress options exist.

Any other Purple owners out there?

Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron