CF/HN Podcast: Jon Miller on the CyHawk game

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
HEY! THIS HERE THREAD IS FER FOOTBALL TALK! ALL YOU PUMPKIN PUSHERS NEED TO TAKE THIS HERE DISCUSSIN' TO THE SHOOTY HOOPS PAGE!

*RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE*

For those curious what a pumpkin pusher would look like.
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: SiouxCityCyclone

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Hey Miller - So you don't want to play the Cy/Hawk game anymore huh? Here are my thoughts on that. If you are the "bigger and better" football program in the state win that game more than 50% of the time. If you want the national recognition you feel you deserve win that game more than 50% of the time. Schedule a legit team out of conference. Play ANYONE of significance other than the horrid BIG west and win. Dont get absolutely hammered every single bowl game you play because you arent deserving to be there because of a weak A schedule. Only a coward would want to do away with a rivalry with great history in this state simply because it's "embarassing" when you lose. Grow a pair already my goodness! Yeah Iowa State is working to become a respectable program around the country. Unfortunately, for years, we play talent rich Texas and Oklahoma schools. Not too many Rutgers, Illinois, Indianas, Minnesotas, Purdues, Northwesterns and now even Nebraska on our schedule each and every year. Oh, did I mention to grow a pair????!

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
For the same reason I don't want to play Iowa in a bowl, I'm all in favor of dropping them from our schedule. Although we'd likely win easily, we don't gain anything and it's not interesting game.

No idea what this means.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Funny you don't hear Ohio State begging to end the Michigan rivalry. Never once heard a Florida fan asking to end the Tennessee game. I'm pretty sure Alabama wants to play Auburn every single year. Why? Because they are the better program and absolutely DOMINATE those series like a "bigger and better" program should. They compete for recruits they want to absolutely hammer those "inferior" programs every single year.

*Note: Yes, I realize those are conference foes. You get the idea though.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hey all, damn I missed all the fun last month!

For all the people who think I am douche bag, dumbass, condescending whatever adjective you want to throw out here...I get it. I have certainly been that in the past, and at times, still can enjoy having some fun with that, such as the start of this podcast with Chris. At the end of the day, it’s show biz.

THAT SAID…and while the start of this podcast was certainly full of archetypes of TavernHok, etc, and it was a fun time for Chris and I, that stuff would wear me out, if I were ‘one of you’. Frankly, I just don’t enjoy that any more, but it’s fun to spar from time to time. As much as anything, I am guilty of loving debate too much…and sometimes stirring the pot for the sake of pot stirring…which is stupid, really. So again, I reap what I have sewn in this regard.

For the one or two of you that have followed me on twitter the last 13 months, you might have noticed how little I have trolled ISU…there is a reason for that…I listened to a podcast with Mike Hlas and Ben Bruns last fall…and the part where Ben talked about how some Iowa fans in his own home town couldn’t be happy for his going to Iowa State, and saying some things that were certainly not in the best of spirit…that struck a point with me….and made me examine the why behind some of the flaming items I have written and said through the years.

I think I can count on one hand the number of tweets between Sept 2016 and through August of 2017, where I said anything remotely trollish on ISU. Now, last month during the ISU week, it seems that troll character came out to play some, but still, nowhere near the level in the past. Mostly it was on this podcast.

I do ‘believe’ that it would be best for the CyHawk game if both teams were viewed as good programs….I do believe that Iowa has had more to lose in this series than they have had to gain, which is the basis for my not wanting it to continue. But I would MUCH rather see Iowa State rise up and get to a point where the annual expectations from outside of the state catch up to the true intensity of this game.

I realize that sentiment will be viewed as condescending from some, and that’s OK…I understand, but it’s how I feel. I don’t think Iowa is an elite football program…over the past ten years, they have the 24th best winning percentage among P5 programs. That’s not bad, but it’s not elite. So in reality, my opinion on the CyHawk game I have shared here and elsewhere is probably fairly moot…because Iowa is not some top of mind juggernaut, nationally.

At any rate, I have a great deal of respect for what Coach Campbell has done this year…and I have been openly cheering on this success, and I hope it continues. Seeing that mutual respect on the field back in September after both teams spilled their guts, that was quite a scene. I think Iowa and Iowa State can both be good at the same time, program wise, and not take away from the other, given the offensive trajectories of the conferences each team plays in…they won’t often go head to head on too many players…this was not the case in the Dan McCarney era….so times change…styles change, and people change.

Take care, one and all.

Yawn.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
If we were to play Iowa in a bowl game we'd most likely win, it wouldn't be an interesting game to anyone outside the state of Iowa and we have nothing to gain from it. What don't you understand about that?

Yeah, still doesnt make any sense.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Hey Miller - So you don't want to play the Cy/Hawk game anymore huh? Here are my thoughts on that. If you are the "bigger and better" football program in the state win that game more than 50% of the time. If you want the national recognition you feel you deserve win that game more than 50% of the time. Schedule a legit team out of conference. Play ANYONE of significance other than the horrid BIG west and win. Dont get absolutely hammered every single bowl game you play because you arent deserving to be there because of a weak A schedule. Only a coward would want to do away with a rivalry with great history in this state simply because it's "embarassing" when you lose. Grow a pair already my goodness! Yeah Iowa State is working to become a respectable program around the country. Unfortunately, for years, we play talent rich Texas and Oklahoma schools. Not too many Rutgers, Illinois, Indianas, Minnesotas, Purdues, Northwesterns and now even Nebraska on our schedule each and every year. Oh, did I mention to grow a pair????!

Iowa does win the game more than 50% of the time...

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

10-9 in the Ferentz era, so technically correct thanks to the nature of odd numbers. Make it a round 20 years and it's 10-10.

Iowa and Iowa State are essentially .500 over the lifetimes of the guys who play in the games and fill the student sections.

• Winner
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Why use age of current players rather than what the current players actual record are?

Why use 20 years , but not the last 10, 15, 25, or 30 years?

Because the series is lopsided. And you know it.
10-9 in the Ferentz era, so technically correct thanks to the nature of odd numbers. Make it a round 20 years and it's 10-10.

Iowa and Iowa State are essentially .500 over the lifetimes of the guys who play in the games and fill the student sections.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Why use age of current players rather than what the current players actual record are?

Why use 20 years , but not the last 10, 15, 25, or 30 years?

Because the series is lopsided. And you know it.

You can pick a time frame, so can I. The numbers conflict either way. Don't act like it's clear cut or like anyone gives two s**ts about which team won in 1933.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

No, no they dont. Could literally care less about 25+ years ago. Didn't hear Hawkeye fans wanting to end the rivalry when they won 15 straight back in the 80s-90s. Lose a couple rivalry games and you tuck your tail and run.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Does Iowa have another bye this week? Does it seem to anyone else that they haven't played in over a month? I live in Chicago and even then it's so easy to forget about the Big 10 West, particularly Iowa. They do really well for sucking hind tit. For their sake I hope Kurt coaches another 20 years.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
No, no they dont. Could literally care less about 25+ years ago. Didn't hear Hawkeye fans wanting to end the rivalry when they won 15 straight back in the 80s-90s. Lose a couple rivalry games and you tuck your tail and run.

So what time frame do you care about and think is relevant? 5 years? 10? 15?

All those are lopsided in favor of Iowa. I'm gonna guess you want to use a 19 year time frame for some odd reason.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron