A Matt Leo tidbit...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The big question is will Jake Campos apply for and receive a medical red-shirt?

Good question. I would guess that's the plan as long as he wants to play another year. I don't think he's really on the radar for NFL scouts right now, so if he wanted to take his shot now he'd face some pretty long odds to stick on a roster. Sure would be nice to get him back in Ames for one more season.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I thought you could only get a medical redshirt if you had already used your regular redshirt. And if he played even one snap, he can't use a regular redshirt. So I'm not sure how this could work out to get him two more seasons.
I think that is called a medical hardship and a medical redshirt is when you haven’t used your redshirt.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy and cyhiphopp

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Pretty sure there are several guys on BYU that are in their mid 20's because a lot of them go one year and then go on a multi-year mission. Another year is probably in his best interest with his background as a rugby player

Also, here are couple other non-BYU examples.

Margus Hunt was drafted in the 2nd round when he was 26 or 27. He went to SMU to do track & field and eventually ended up playing football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margus_Hunt

Baylor also had an older guy get drafted in the 1st round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Watkins

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think that is called a medical hardship and a medical redshirt is when you haven’t used your redshirt.

For a medical redshirt, you have to be injured before you have played beyond the first 30% of the seasons games.

For a hardship waiver, you're supposed to have lost more than one season of eligibility to injury to be eligible. It's not very consistent in how they award them.

• Informative
Reactions: NetflixAndClone

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Do they have to apply for a medical redshirt since he played in the early games?

Or did the rules around redshirts change?

Are we really sure he played this year? I've never seen him in a game at DE and Soehner, who also wears No. 89, has been in on some special teams snaps. I'm just wondering if the participation report mixed up Leo and Soehner. Someone said earlier that Leo changes his jersey when he has to go in to play special teams so there aren't 2 No. 89s out there. I just don't know if that's actually happened.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Are we really sure he played this year? I've never seen him in a game at DE and Soehner, who also wears No. 89, has been in on some special teams snaps. I'm just wondering if the participation report mixed up Leo and Soehner. Someone said earlier that Leo changes his jersey when he has to go in to play special teams so there aren't 2 No. 89s out there. I just don't know if that's actually happened.

As I recall, they have a snap-on front and back of a #92 jersey that they put on Leo.

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
And you've been cheering for Iowa State for how long??
Your question deserves another question. How does the length of my fandom impact the fact that we hypothetically might have a 27 y/o man playing defensive end for us? Also, I was being satirically hypocritical of myself i.g In my opinion it wouldnt be fair for him to play against ISU, however, since he plays for ISU its ok.

clone511

Mar 15, 2016
Urbandale, IA
Your question deserves another question. How does the length of my fandom impact the fact that we hypothetically might have a 27 y/o man playing defensive end for us? Also, I was being satirically hypocritical of myself i.g In my opinion it wouldnt be fair for him to play against ISU, however, since he plays for ISU its ok.

upload_2017-10-19_14-7-4.png

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Yes. He's played in 3 games.
http://www.cyclones.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football

upload_2017-10-19_14-56-59.png

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This person understands the idea of 'Looking Glass Self'. You get an A for today

Reactions: khardbored

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Everyone else in this thread understood both of you were posting in jest. Now both of you should understand it and applaud each other for being clever.

Tazzels2Fers

Aug 31, 2017
I think Brandon Weeden was about 30 something when he was QBing Okie State against us during the 2011 upset...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron