NCAA BASKETBALL CORRUPTION SCHEME

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I hate to be the wet blanket here but the Lville AD is going to be just fine. The PSU AD is going gang busters and the BU AD is doing just fine. The entire SEC has been paying players for decades and none of thier ADs have suffered long term. H***, look at the recent UNC cheating scandal...it's totally in the rear view mirror now.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Question: Will this thing be like the housing crisis where the banks were too big to let fail? Is there just going to be so much going on that the NCAA just has to basically give blanket pardons and tell them not to do it again in their big dad voice. Then, in 5 years they can start doing it again?
Could but its hard to coach while you're in prison.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I hate to be the wet blanket here but the Lville AD is going to be just fine. The PSU AD is going gang busters and the BU AD is doing just fine. The entire SEC has been paying players for decades and none of thier ADs have suffered long term. H***, look at the recent UNC cheating scandal...it's totally in the rear view mirror now.

Felonies are a different animal.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
The way that this has to go is to make this legal BY PAYING PLAYERS BECAUSE THEY ARE EMPLOYEES. Make it legal and you get rid of the black market, in this case bribes, hookers, etc.

Great idea.

Your two options are to have a salary cap where the same abuse continues to happen behind the scenes.

Or the QB at Alabama makes $25 million vs a swimmer at ISU that makes $0.

Neither will work.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Have we ever had the Feds involved to this magnitude?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Little bit different here. The NCAA was always going to turn a blind eye in the name of the prospects of making money. This time, though, the Federal government is involved. Completely different animal. Nobody compels you to cooperate with the NCAA, and there are little consequences for lying to them. With the FBI involved, not cooperating is obstruction of justice and lying is perjury. If you don't cooperate with the NCAA you get slapped on the wrist. If you don't cooperate with the Feds you get slapped on the wrist with silver bracelets and get taken to Federal PMITA prison.

From what I was hearing on the radio on my way home from work, this is REALLY bad for the NCAA - as in the FBI is about to drop a nuclear bomb on them. Their world is about to come crashing down on them. There are at least 50 schools that can get pulled into this investigation just right off the top, and that's not even getting into how this may cross over into other sports, mainly, football, and don't pretend there aren't skeletons in those closets. I would not be stunned if, at minimum, this is what causes the NCAA to lose its "nonprofit" status. I'm curious to see just how many teams get death penalty-like sanctions over this.

I just really hope Iowa State is pristine in this, not just because I don't want to see the institution I spent 6 years of my life at having the hammer dropped on them because they committed federal crimes, but imagine, if they are clean, how they stand to benefit from a landscape that hasn't just shifted, but been completely bulldozed.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Bilas' first take on the situation was atypically bland. I was fully expecting him to change his "Big Bad NCAA" soapbox to "Big Bad FBI".

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The way that this has to go is to make this legal BY PAYING PLAYERS BECAUSE THEY ARE EMPLOYEES. Make it legal and you get rid of the black market, in this case bribes, hookers, etc.
That's hilarious. Next you'll tell me that rich people won't break the law to get more money because they are already rich enough...

As long as there are athletes who are potentially worth millions, there will be people who are willing to give them additional money to get in their good favor so that they can profit off of them down the line. Paying college players does NOTHING to change that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron