Path to a Bowl Game

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Hard to think Baylor is going to be much improved. They are 0-3 against the soft part of their schedule. They might be looking at a 1 win season when ISU comes to town. For a team that is used to winning 8-9 games, well, things could be really ugly in the locker room before the ISU game.

the start to their Big 12 schedule is brutal:

OU
KSU
OSU
WVU
TX

Agree. There is going to be a lot of turmoil and infighting when you have players that picked a school based on it's success, only to find out that the success is over for a while.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Or Baylor could get stomped all year long and by week 11 they have given up.

This is where I'm at as well. The start to Baylor's conference slate is going to absolutely break them. It's going to be fun to watch Baylor roll the tarp back out because this program is going to keep sliding. Baylor has lost a ton of talent over the last 2 years and they haven't filled the pipeline with the players that they were getting under AB.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I could see the good teams that have been embarrassed by BU in the past really pounding on them.

You can bet your *** that if UT, TCU, Tech, OU, and OSU have the chance to run it up on Baylor they are going to. These teams have a lot to benefit from Baylor's program taking a nose dive.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You can bet your *** that if UT, TCU, Tech, OU, and OSU have the chance to run it up on Baylor they are going to. These teams have a lot to benefit from Baylor's program taking a nose dive.

I know Campbell wasn't here for 71-7, but he should get on the train. He should be chucking it deep until the final bell sounds. Everybody in the Big 12 benefits from Baylor being put down hard.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I've got it as follows:

Should win:

Texas Tech
Baylor
Kansas

Could win:
Texas
KSU
WVU
TCU

Better not need to win:
OU
OSU

So I imagine we will win 2 of 3 in the first column, because I've seen enough to know they'll be a letdown in a "should win" game somewhere, that means we have to pick up 2 out of Texas, KSU, WVU and TCU. I like our chances.

• Agree
Reactions: 1976

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Man there's a ton of negativity on here. When Baylor loses to Liberty and Texas loses to Maryland you would think people understand anything goes. This team has talent, and has shown they can battle through adversity. Everyone was hinging our season on beating Iowa to qualify for a bowl, there's 9 games left. WTF is everyone so damn scared of.

KSU just lost to Vanderbilt, and only scored 7 points... Texas, TTU, Baylor, KU, WVU are all beatable on any given day. Hell, I won't even say there's a team that is impossible for us to beat. Stranger things have happened.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I think Texas is a big game from the standpoint of winning means ISU has legit wiggle room later. I agree with the sentiment that there are plenty of winnable conf games ahead, but I'd sure feel good at 3-1. 2-2 would have me nervous with 3 of the last 4 on the road.

I think Baylor and KU are wins. I'd like to say Tech too, but they'll pose offensive problems as usual, and probably be fired up to kick ISU's ass after last year. They had a ton of player defection the last few years, and will be thin on defense. Winning on the road in the Big 12 aint easy, and ISU will need it's share of roadies to get to a bowl game. Outside of the Mahomes going crazy game, ISU has actually played Tech really tough down in Lubbock since Rhoads was here. Something that better programs in this conference can't say!

My hope for this season is to claw into a bowl game, then next year get notorious road chump programs in our backyard with Park as a senior. BU & Tech for example, and maybe even beat KSU in JTS for the 1st time since 2007.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Freeze-framing after week 3, I’d organize our eight Big 12 opponents into four tiers at this point (alphabetical within each … so it isn’t a strict ranking):

Tier 1: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
Tier 2: TCU, West Virginia
Tier 3: Kansas State, Texas, Texas Tech
Tier 4: Baylor, Kansas

Obviously not set in stone, still early in the season and pecking-order will fluctuate. Also, within a few weeks, it may work better to organize it into 3 sets of 3 (I feel like I’m playing “Phase 10” … I digress).

Using that as template, as far as path-to-bowl, where does ISU fit? We’re probably in Tier 3 territory at the moment. Assuming 6 wins is required for postseason (never rely on a bid at 5-7):

Tier 1: 0-2
Tier 2: 0-2
Tier 3: 2-1
Tier 4: 2-0

I think we could steal a home win vs. TCU, which alleviates pressure for Tier 3 results. Cannot afford a loss to Tier 4, unless there’s an unlikely balancing-upset, or we’re perfect vs. Tier 3.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
I expected the defensive back field to be better this year, but so far I am waiting.
any-minute-now-memecrunch-com-17017720.png

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Lets says you have a choice of 3 bowl games which would you choose?

Cactus Bowl Dec 26th 8pm vs Pac 12 team
Heart of Dallas Bowl Dec 26th 1pm vs Big Ten team/C-USA/MAC
Liberty Bowl Dec 30th 11:30am vs SEC

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

For the sole fact of having Christmas in Arizona, I'd go with the Cactus bowl. But the heart of dallas is interesting as having a MAC team in a bowl game would be a great opportunity for a nationally televised dominate bowl win.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX

Selfishly, I pick the Heart of Dallas Bowl because my commute to the game would be around 30 minutes.

In reality, I would like to see the Cactus Bowl or Liberty Bowl because of the opponent. Iowa State beating (hopefully) a Pac 12 or SEC team trumps a win over C-USA or MAC school. I would however pick a Cyhawk rematch in the Heart of Dallas Bowl over any of the above.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
In the last three games Park has not really been hurried up much, even with the Line giving him time, he has thrown it high or the receivers have dropped catchable balls. In the conference, he will be hurried every other play and we will have to see how he preforms.
The dude is completing 66.7% of his passes and has 8 tds to 2 INTs. I mean c'mon. Yes, when he misses he misses high but it's not like he is completing 53% of his passes and has a 2/1 TD ratio.

Last year...iSu gave up the most sacks against
TCU-5
Okie St-7
Texas-6

That was before Park was seeing a lot of time. Once Park started seeing more time...we never allowed more than 2 sacks per game. That was aginast OU, KSU, KU, TT, and WV. QBHs also drastically went down. Part of that was OL improvement and part of that was Park getting rid of the ball.

Park is getting rid of the ball much quicker this year and making better reads. He has more weapons than last year.

He will not be hurried every other play. That is just an exaggeration. His completion % will go down and he will face better defenses but let's not exaggerate

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It is a fact that Baylor and Texas have much better talent and speed compared to us. Both are first year Coaches on the Job and are figuring things out. They will be both better as the season progresses.
Texas has MUCH better talent and speed. Baylor has better talent and speed but not MUCH better. Their recruiting and attrition have hurt them the last couple of years.