Iowa's TE Kittle ran faster 40 than Lazard. Should move to TE

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I think that you're right. 3rd-5th. But, he's an excellent college WR. And isn't that what should matter to CFB fans? He would start for 95% of the college teams out there.

NFL success matters in recruiting and for message board pissing contests. ISU does not seem to struggle recruiting good WRs. Lazard will get his shot whether he runs a 4.45 or a 4.65. What he does with that shot is up to him. And it has absolutely nothing to do with a TE that played somewhere else.
Lazard is better than McNutt and I'm not sure how you could argue differently

Based on what tho? Numbers alone? I thought Lazard was way more polished coming out of HS than DJK or McNutt. Lazard is really good at bailing his QB out for sure. Kids should watch how he comes back to the ball when the play breaks down. He's a big target and knows how to get in position when going up for the ball but I think he's struggle against CBs that won't give him the space he gets on the Big 12. He's basically a more fluid or athletic Todd Blythe with a better attitude.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
More like injuries, more competition and a worse OL.

I remember reading in here how he was better than Pig Howard. I think if ISU wants to win in the Big 12, they need to quit trying to be like TT or Baylor. In 2004 and 2009, both teams had 1000 yard rushers-both were winning seasons.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Based on what tho? Numbers alone? I thought Lazard was way more polished coming out of HS than DJK or McNutt. Lazard is really good at bailing his QB out for sure. Kids should watch how he comes back to the ball when the play breaks down. He's a big target and knows how to get in position when going up for the ball but I think he's struggle against CBs that won't give him the space he gets on the Big 12. He's basically a more fluid or athletic Todd Blythe with a better attitude.

McNutt is Iowa's best WR ever and Lazard is better than him. Really I don't understand the debate at all so please explain it to me. I haven't seen him struggle against much of anything and he constantly is the focus of the secondary.

JustAFleshWound

Apr 21, 2015
Lazard is bigger, better at creating separation, has a bigger catch radius and is much better at running routes than McNutt. I have no idea why Iowa fans are dogging him when he would literally be the best WR they ever had play at Iowa. That'd be like me criticizing Nile Kinnick's 40 time.
Lazard is big, he can catch the ball in traffic, I think he'll be drafted in the middle rounds and he'll have a shot to make it at the next level. He's great, and the best the Cyclones have ever produced. But you need to stop with the "he's good at creating separation" line. The one thing that Lazard absolutely does not do well is create separation.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Lazard is big, he can catch the ball in traffic, I think he'll be drafted in the middle rounds and he'll have a shot to make it at the next level. He's great, and the best the Cyclones have ever produced. But you need to stop with the "he's good at creating separation" line. The one thing that Lazard absolutely does not do well is create separation.

Sorry he is elite at creating separation which is why he can get open without having elite speed

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I don't think that it can be argued that he's an elite CFB WR. Does it translate to the NFL? Maybe not, but I think that there's a spot for him. He's going to be a red zone threat and someone you can throw jump balls to to pick up first downs. He'll need to earn his spot in training camp for sure.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Absolutely not true. He catches the ball extremely well in traffic, but he does not separate well from defenders. You cheapen the perception of his many talents when you give him attributes he doesn't have.

All Iowa fans have said is he struggles to catch the ball and now he catches the ball extremely well? I'm confused

JustAFleshWound

Apr 21, 2015
So who is fleshwound? Which troll Is setting up their next name for when they get banned?
Nice. I'm a Gopher fan and Cyclone season ticket holder. I haven't posted in a really long time. And why would I get banned for writing that Lazard is a great receiver who struggles getting separation, which happens to be true?

• Disagree
Reactions: breck53 and CyTwins

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Nice. I'm a Gopher fan and Cyclone season ticket holder. I haven't posted in a really long time. And why would I get banned for writing that Lazard is a great receiver who struggles getting separation, which happens to be true?

Ok. What do you think of PJ Fleck?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Lazard is great at creating separation which is why he's caught so many balls without having elite top end speed

• Dislike
Reactions: breck53

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I don't think that it can be argued that he's an elite CFB WR. Does it translate to the NFL? Maybe not, but I think that there's a spot for him. He's going to be a red zone threat and someone you can throw jump balls to to pick up first downs. He'll need to earn his spot in training camp for sure.

I totally agree with this. Great College WR, is gonna have to earn his spot in training camp.

JustAFleshWound

Apr 21, 2015
Ok. What do you think of PJ Fleck?
I'm excited about him. He's got proven coaching chops, and he'll be relentless on the recruiting trail. Hawkeye fans have been quick to give him the douche label, which is code for them being nervous. Remember that Brian Ferentz referenced "the guys in Minneapolis" as well as "the guys in Ames."

I think people forget the Gophers were 9-4 last year. Fleck is walking into a strong situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: HawkeyeMashup

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I remember reading in here how he was better than Pig Howard. I think if ISU wants to win in the Big 12, they need to quit trying to be like TT or Baylor. In 2004 and 2009, both teams had 1000 yard rushers-both were winning seasons.

I don't think that ISU has ever tried to be TT. Under both Rhoads and Campbell, they'd rather run the ball than pass it...but poor OL play makes that difficult. When Baylor was really good, they had a great running game. The reason why they had WRs so open was because teams were worried about the run. That and they did have some really good WRs and QBs. TT hardly tries to run.

As for Warren, he did have 1300 yards as a FR. But last year's OL was not a great fit for his running style. They didn't make the holes that the 2015 OL did. Warren was also injured for most of the year. I still think that he has NFL potential just because he has good top end speed for his size, but with Manning totally rebuilding the OL, he may not get much of a chance to show it. We'll see. He'll get his chances this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron