Iowa's TE Kittle ran faster 40 than Lazard. Should move to TE

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
How could you possibly disagree with what I said @YeahBuddy? McNutt had 674 receiving yards as a sophomore (in 13 games) while Lazard had 808 receiving yards in 11 games.

Probably had more to do with the fact that the passing yards were well distributed that season and that Iowa isn't going to throw the ball as frequently as ISU. The Cyclones had 3 guys with over 40 catches in 2014.

DJK 45 catches 750 yards
McNutt 34 catches 674 yards
Moeaki 30 catches 347 yards
Trey Stross 31 catches 414 yards
Reisner 14 catches 143 yards
Sandeman 14 catches 136 yards

DJK also had another 745 yards in 2010
McNutt had 866 yards in 2010

McNutt had 1315 yards in 2011.
Keenan Davis had 715 in 2011

McNutt's biggest asset was that he was a big target to throw to but I think a lot of his SR year numbers were due to a lack of other weapons around him other than Keenan Davis.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Probably had more to do with the fact that the passing yards were well distributed that season and that Iowa isn't going to throw the ball as frequently as ISU. The Cyclones had 3 guys with over 40 catches in 2014.

DJK 45 catches 750 yards

McNutt's biggest asset was that he was a big target to throw to but I think a lot of his SR year numbers were due to a lack of other weapons around him other than Keenan Davis.

McNutt is exactly why I don’t think Lazard is an NFL receiver. McNutt was 6’3 220 lbs or so. He ran a 4.54 and he was drafted in the 6th round. I could see Lazard getting drafted, but I don’t see him sticking and being a guy who really had any impact. McNutt was a guy who never ever dropped passes, Lazard has had his drop issues. Both are big and strong, but that isn’t enough. You either need to be super explosive (which Lazard isn’t and McNutt wasn’t), or you need to catch everything and run great routes.

I just don’t see it personally.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

DJK 45 catches 750 yards

Lazard is better than McNutt and I'm not sure how you could argue differently

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
McNutt is exactly why I don’t think Lazard is an NFL receiver. McNutt was 6’3 220 lbs or so. He ran a 4.54 and he was drafted in the 6th round. I could see Lazard getting drafted, but I don’t see him sticking and being a guy who really had any impact. McNutt was a guy who never ever dropped passes, Lazard has had his drop issues. Both are big and strong, but that isn’t enough. You either need to be super explosive (which Lazard isn’t and McNutt wasn’t), or you need to catch everything and run great routes.

I just don’t see it personally.

So, because McNutt was shorter and didn't run as good of routes, Lazard won't make it in the NFL. Makes sense.

Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So, because McNutt was shorter and didn't run as good of routes, Lazard won't make it in the NFL. Makes sense.

Lazard is bigger, better at creating separation, has a bigger catch radius and is much better at running routes than McNutt. I have no idea why Iowa fans are dogging him when he would literally be the best WR they ever had play at Iowa. That'd be like me criticizing Nile Kinnick's 40 time.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Lazard is bigger, better at creating separation, has a bigger catch radius and is much better at running routes than McNutt. I have no idea why Iowa fans are dogging him when he would literally be the best WR they ever had play at Iowa. That'd be like me criticizing Nile Kinnick's 40 time.

IlM1j.gif

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Comparing McNutt to Lazard and saying well Mcnutt didnt make it therefore Lazard won't is such an Iowa thing to do. McNutt was just under 6'3 btw and Lazard is 6'5. What is the most laughable thing of this comparison is that Lazard is going to leave ISU as ISU career leader in every WR category sans maybe career TD's and yet Mcnutt had All big 10 QB's throwing him the fball and Lazard had some atrocious QB's throwing him the ball accept fo the last half of last year and this year of course.

Lazard is a pretty good route runner for a kid his size and I'm pretty sure everyone will be surprised at his combine 40. Dropping passes? Seriously? Have you even watched Lazard play? Dude has made some absolutely incredible catches in his career to this point with some pretty awful QB play by comparison to what Mcnutt was given.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Comparing McNutt to Lazard and saying well Mcnutt didnt make it therefore Lazard won't is such an Iowa thing to do. McNutt was just under 6'3 btw and Lazard is 6'5. What is the most laughable thing of this comparison is that Lazard is going to leave ISU as ISU career leader in every WR category sans maybe career TD's and yet Mcnutt had All big 10 QB's throwing him the fball and Lazard had some atrocious QB's throwing him the ball accept fo the last half of last year and this year of course.

Lazard is a pretty good route runner for a kid his size and I'm pretty sure everyone will be surprised at his combine 40. Dropping passes? Seriously? Have you even watched Lazard play? Dude has made some absolutely incredible catches in his career to this point with some pretty awful QB play by comparison to what Mcnutt was given.

Again, McNutt broke the career receiving yardage record and receiving TD record in 3 seasons of playing WR.

He spent his first 2 years on campus as a QB (redshirt and RS freshman seasons).

• Winner
Reactions: HawkeyeMashup

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Again, McNutt broke the career receiving yardage record and receiving TD record in 3 seasons of playing WR.

He spent his first 2 years on campus as a QB (redshirt and RS freshman seasons).

Why? I didn't even realize he wasn't even good enough to play as a true freshman. Lazard had put up all the yards he did before he was even 21 which makes it even more impressive. The dude can catch for over 1,000 yards in a season but can't even legally drink alcohol!

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

It appears that McNutt made 1 reception his RS freshman year so unless he was brought in for a trick play I would say he made the switch to WR that year.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
It appears that McNutt made 1 reception his RS freshman year so unless he was brought in for a trick play I would say he made the switch to WR that year.

Good catch, he had a few passing attempts early in the year in 2008 and made the switch towards the middle of the year it looks like.

Says something about his talent if he was able to switch from QB to WR mid year and still get some PT.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Good catch, he had a few passing attempts early in the year in 2008 and made the switch towards the middle of the year it looks like.

Says something about his talent if he was able to switch from QB to WR mid year and still get some PT.
On a Top 25 team as well. Man, wish we had that guy this year.

• Agree
Reactions: YeahBuddy