The Defenders

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm three episodes in. It's ok so far. I couldn't care less about Danny Rand. Assuming the rest of the Defenders goes how I think it will, I'd rank it:

1. Daredevil Season 1 (kudos to Vincent D'Onofrio, whao was outstanding and larger than life as Wilson Fisk).
2. Jessica Jones (once again, the villain makes the show. David Tennant nailed the role of the charming sociopath)
3. Luke Cage
4. Daredevil Season 2
5. The Defenders
6. Iron Fist

My take is that any season or series is only as compelling as the villain. I'm waiting for Sigourney Weaver's character to become more interesting, but right now she comes across as a little too detached and aloof. I more or less understand the significance of The Hand in the Marvel universe, but the storyline gets stale after awhile. It's only fun watching the hero beat up a band of incompetent ninjas so many times before it starts feeling repetitive.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm three episodes in. It's ok so far. I couldn't care less about Danny Rand. Assuming the rest of the Defenders goes how I think it will, I'd rank it:

1. Daredevil Season 1 (kudos to Vincent D'Onofrio, whao was outstanding and larger than life as Wilson Fisk).
2. Jessica Jones (once again, the villain makes the show. David Tennant nailed the role of the charming sociopath)
3. Luke Cage
4. Daredevil Season 2
5. The Defenders
6. Iron Fist

My take is that any season or series is only as compelling as the villain. I'm waiting for Sigourney Weaver's character to become more interesting, but right now she comes across as a little too detached and aloof. I more or less understand the significance of The Hand in the Marvel universe, but the storyline gets stale after awhile. It's only fun watching the hero beat up a band of incompetent ninjas so many times before it starts feeling repetitive.
Being a character guy, I am surprised DD season 2 wasn't higher considering The Punisher was probably the best character on any Netflix Marvel show yet.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Being a character guy, I am surprised DD season 2 wasn't higher considering The Punisher was probably the best character on any Netflix Marvel show yet.

Yeah, he was good. But Daredevil season 2 just kind of felt like it was all over the place and a little unfocused.

MrTippet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2009
For me this is the order (still haven't finished Defenders so it could move)

1. Jessica Jones (Tennant was great)
2. Luke Cage
3. Daredevil Season 2 (either got used to the bad acting or it got a little better)
4. The Defenders
5. Daredevil Season 1 (Some brutally bad acting distracted me where it usually doesn't).
6. Iron Fist

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Just finished the final episode, meh all the way through, I couldnt even pay attention to the screen by the end. I was just so bored with it. Beyond Dare Devil they've been all pretty meh.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Just finished the final episode, meh all the way through, I couldnt even pay attention to the screen by the end. I was just so bored with it. Beyond Dare Devil they've been all pretty meh.
I was disappointed how regular the hand was.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
You guys aren't getting me too excited to watch this thing. Shoot, I may even opt to catch up on the latest season of Agents of Shield here before I pick up The Defenders. Kind of feels weird to say that.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm 5 episodes in and it's rough. Their growing pains as a team are so predictable and it's just not interesting to watch superheroes fight each other all the time. I think much of it has to do with the ways that characters are inconsistently written and the way that certain actors just give such unpleasant performances. Daredevil, Colleen, and Claire are the only characters I give much of a crap about.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
You guys aren't getting me too excited to watch this thing. Shoot, I may even opt to catch up on the latest season of Agents of Shield here before I pick up The Defenders. Kind of feels weird to say that.

Finished it last night. I'd say they definitely fell short of expectations. I couldn't really figure out who this series was supposed to be for - was it for the hardcore comic fans or the casual viewers? I get the feeling that they tried to split the difference and ended up not pleasing anyone. It wasn't necessarily bad; I was entertained, so if that's all that you want then I guess you could call it successful. It just felt a little rushed. Bringing together that many key characters and trying to squeeze it all into an eight episode arc was ambitious, and it just didn't quite work out. I wonder if it could have been better with twelve episodes to tell the story, or even ten.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Finished it last night. I'd say they definitely fell short of expectations. I couldn't really figure out who this series was supposed to be for - was it for the hardcore comic fans or the casual viewers? I get the feeling that they tried to split the difference and ended up not pleasing anyone. It wasn't necessarily bad; I was entertained, so if that's all that you want then I guess you could call it successful. It just felt a little rushed. Bringing together that many key characters and trying to squeeze it all into an eight episode arc was ambitious, and it just didn't quite work out. I wonder if it could have been better with twelve episodes to tell the story, or even ten.

I am halfway through and I agree. Entertaining but definitely not great or groundbreaking in any way. Villians are meh and so far it has been pretty predictable. I love Daredevil and I like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, but man do I really not care for Iron Fist AT ALL.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21 and jbindm

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I just finished it and that it was decent. Not nearly as bad as Iron Fist, but nowhere near the top of the other Netflix-Marvel series. Iron Fist/Danny Rand was much better this time around, although that character still has a long way to go. Jessica Jones felt out of place for most of the series, but I thought shes the best actor out of the bunch. Luke Cage and Daredevil were OK. I dont know if they'll do a Defenders series again, but I'll watch it if they do. I'm really hoping that they give Iron Fist and Luke Cage a Heroes for Hire series rather than their own stand-alone series. Those 2 had some glimmers of chemistry, but I think Colleen Wing and Misty Knight are the stronger characters from those series and having those 4 featured in a shortened series could be fun to watch.

My series ranking would be:
1. Jessica Jones
2. Daredevil 1
3. Daredevil 2
4t. Defenders/Luke Cage
6. Iron Fist

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I dont have the hate for IF that some do. I actually think it was a stronger series overall than Luke cage which had a very forgettable back half.

Found defenders to be an enjoyable series, though a bit short. Really can't wait for more Daredevil and Jessica Jones though, those 2 were my clear favorites.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Agreed on Iron Fist being better than Luke Cage I couldnt get into that series at all, I like that actor better than the Iron Fist actor but Cage was just a weak story. Both are probably better off just being parts to bigger stories rather than stand alones in the future.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agreed on Iron Fist being better than Luke Cage I couldnt get into that series at all, I like that actor better than the Iron Fist actor but Cage was just a weak story. Both are probably better off just being parts to bigger stories rather than stand alones in the future.

We're getting new seasons of both i believe, so we shall see. Hopefully a more interesting story for LC, and hopefully Danny Rand's character development makes him a bit less annoying.

Also, now that all the characters have met, instead of just the supporting cast, maybe we see a little more bleed-over between the shows' main characters.

Reactions: cyfan21 and mb7299

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I finally got my somewhat action fix, just started watching The Tick, pretty fun show to watch, good use of humor in a not so serious show.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I thought it was pretty good. A bit predictable, but it had moments. It was far and away better than Iron Fist or Luke Cage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron