The Defenders

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Finished binging the series. It was alright, could have been better. Too much focus on Danny rand and Jessica Jones character who's series I loved felt pretty out of place. Anyone else have a chance to watch yet?

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Finished binging the series. It was alright, could have been better. Too much focus on Danny rand and Jessica Jones character who's series I loved felt pretty out of place. Anyone else have a chance to watch yet?

I finished it yesterday. It was alright, but not worth the hype in my oppinion. I found it to be pretty predictable all the way till the end.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Im 3 episodes in, its ok. Not sure what else can be done in this genre to really knock it out of the park. I do have to admit I really enjoy another recent netflix release Atypical, pretty unique comedy.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Finished it yesterday. I agree with the sentiment so far...pretty "meh" at best. Let's just say I'm glad it was only 8 episodes.

It's really too bad the plot centered so much around Iron Fist, given the casting choice they made for that character. The actor who plays Danny is just awful and really brought the show down. That perpetual hurt-child scowl was unbearable again, just like it was in Iron Fist. Such a punch-able face.

I'd rate Defenders a notch above Iron Fist (barely), but nowhere near as good as Daredevil, Jessica Jones or Luke Cage.

Reactions: cyfan21

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Finished it yesterday. I agree with the sentiment so far...pretty "meh" at best. Let's just say I'm glad it was only 8 episodes.

It's really too bad the plot centered so much around Iron Fist, given the casting choice they made for that character. The actor who plays Danny is just awful and really brought the show down. That perpetual hurt-child scowl was unbearable again, just like it was in Iron Fist. Such a punch-able face.

I'd rate Defenders a notch above Iron Fist (barely), but nowhere near as good as Daredevil, Jessica Jones or Luke Cage.

I hate to say it but the entire Marvel TV lineup probably gets canceled and critically reviled if it doesn't have the blind brand loyalty going for it. Daredevil when at its best is pretty solid but the rest of what I've watched has been bad. Admittedly I only got one season into Agents of Shield but I thought it was pretty terrible. If anyone has never seen some older sci fi series like X-Files, TNG or DS9 I really would strongly recommend them over whatever Marvel TV has coming. I've never watched Dr Who and I'm going to give that a try vs more Marvel.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I hate to say it but the entire Marvel TV lineup probably gets canceled and critically reviled if it doesn't have the blind brand loyalty going for it. Daredevil when at its best is pretty solid but the rest of what I've watched has been bad. Admittedly I only got one season into Agents of Shield but I thought it was pretty terrible. If anyone has never seen some older sci fi series like X-Files, TNG or DS9 I really would strongly recommend them over whatever Marvel TV has coming. I've never watched Dr Who and I'm going to give that a try vs more Marvel.
Season 1 of Agents of Shield was terrible, the worst season of the show.
Daredevil had moments of greatness and some moments of luls but both seasons overall were good.
Jessica Jones was unique and had some great moments. My second favorite behind DD season 2
Luke Cage had some unique and interesting moments but overall wasn't all that great.
Iron Fist was an abomination

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Agents of shield gets MUCH better as it goes. 1st season was not great.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: HFCS and mramseyISU

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Totally agree on Agents of Shield, after season one it gets so much better. Grant Ward turning was a jaw dropping moment for me and got a permanent fan because of it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Again, I haven't seen Defenders yet, but there is no doubt that I'm at least fairly well-versed in all the Superhero shows beings how I watch pretty much all of them (excluding Gotham). Therefore, since you guys are debating shows, I thought it might be worth throwing up all my Superhero show rankings if anyone is interested:

1. The Flash (Season 1)
  2. Daredevil (Season 2)
  3. Daredevil (Season 1)
  4. Arrow (Season 2)
  5. Arrow (Season 1)
  6. Legion (Season 1)
  7. The Flash (Season 2)
  8. Supergirl (Season 1)
  9. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  10. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  11. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  12. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  13. Powerless (Season 1)
  14. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  15. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  16. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  17. Iron Fist (Season 1)
  18. Preacher (Season 1)
  19. Arrow (Season 3)
  20. Constantine (Season 1)
  21. Arrow (Season 4)
  22. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Totally agree on Agents of Shield, after season one it gets so much better. Grant Ward turning was a jaw dropping moment for me and got a permanent fan because of it.

You can see my rankings I just posted which includes Agents of Shield, even though I haven't seen season 4 yet (its up next on my docket of viewing), but you can see that I thought Season 2 was the best yet. I mean, even Season 2 wasn't exactly a world-beater show, but I found it to be pretty solid at least. I'm excited for Season 4. As for Season 3, I thought the first half was really pretty good until everything kind of fell apart in the back half of the season. It just got a bit too ridiculously corny TV-like with those weird altered alien looking mindless minions running around.

In the end, I really hope I like The Defenders as it is no secret that I love this genre, and I have fears that if it doesn't stay on its toes, that it will really start to get tired and stale. In some ways, I feel that the DC TV universe is starting to show signs of it already. Haven't quite finished the last series of shows yet (nearly done), but there is no doubt that The Flash really took a turn for the worse in Season 3 and Legends of Tomorrow is only getting more and more painful to watch. However, on the flip side, at least Supergirl is continuing to stand strong in the solid category, and believe it or not, Arrow completely turned its downward trajectory around for the good in this last season. We'll see how it ends, but so far, its back near its Season 1 and 2 quality level. I'm digging it.

Last edited:

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Again, I haven't seen Defenders yet, but there is no doubt that I'm at least fairly well-versed in all the Superhero shows beings how I watch pretty much all of them (excluding Gotham). Therefore, since you guys are debating shows, I thought it might be worth throwing up all my Superhero show rankings if anyone is interested:

1. The Flash (Season 1)
  2. Daredevil (Season 2)
  3. Daredevil (Season 1)
  4. Arrow (Season 2)
  5. Arrow (Season 1)
  6. Legion (Season 1)
  7. The Flash (Season 2)
  8. Supergirl (Season 1)
  9. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  10. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  11. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  12. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  13. Powerless (Season 1)
  14. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  15. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  16. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  17. Iron Fist (Season 1)
  18. Preacher (Season 1)
  19. Arrow (Season 3)
  20. Constantine (Season 1)
  21. Arrow (Season 4)
  22. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
No Gotham?

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Gotham is great, but Im biased because I love seeing origin stories of all the characters since I grew up watching the cartoon. Even then there isnt much slow down time for the show (ahem walking dead) so its a good watch.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I watched 4 episodes of it yesterday. It's almost tedious waiting to figure out what evil is coming. I actually shut it down because I remembered I hadn't seen the latest episode of Snowfall on FX, which is very good so far!