Civilization (the game)

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
So I passed out last night watching YouTube and I woke up this morning having it autoplayed to some dude playing Civilization VI.

I know some of you nerds on here play it. It looks intriguing but ridiculously confusing from the outside looking in.

Explain it so someone with an arts degree can understand. Do you need to play the other 5 first? It seems like a standalone game. Is it like Sim City? How does it work?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You certainly don't need to play any of the others first. It's turn based, and you simply choose which technologies to research and what to build in your cities. I think it's pretty easy to pick up and play, and shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it. Best out there right now, IMO, is Civ V if you get it with all the expansions. I probably have 1000 hours in Civ games in general. Definitely in my top games of all time.

• Agree
Reactions: Seth

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
You certainly don't need to play any of the others first. It's turn based, and you simply choose which technologies to research and what to build in your cities. I think it's pretty easy to pick up and play, and shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it. Best out there right now, IMO, is Civ V if you get it with all the expansions. I probably have 1000 hours in Civ games in general. Definitely in my top games of all time.
Only issue with Civ V is it crashes a lot with windows 10.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Ah, didn't know that (I've been primarily playing VI).
I hadn't read about it but never had trouble with it, but within the last 6 months the game has become unplayable. Firaxis knows about the issue but isn't doing anything to fix it. I need to give 6 another shot, I played for a few weeks but just didn't like it as much as 5.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I hadn't read about it but never had trouble with it, but within the last 6 months the game has become unplayable. Firaxis knows about the issue but isn't doing anything to fix it. I need to give 6 another shot, I played for a few weeks but just didn't like it as much as 5.

My last computer had all kinds of problems with it (Windows 7), though I think it might have been a mismatch of some sorts internally, as it had other problems. 6 is getting better, though it still doesn't have quite the personality of 5 yet.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Is 6 as heavily modable as 5 was? That was one of the things I enjoyed about it was being able to play different styles of games.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I think you'll enjoy the game partly because of your arts degree. The great thing about Civ is that there is a ton of world history and culture built into the experience. You can read about the wonders you build, the tech you discover, and the artworks you create.

I'd suggest grabbing Civ VI, and maybe V if you find it on sale somewhere. There are always opinions about which game is best (some still play IV only), but I think the newest game adds a unique aspect that makes it the most interesting, especially visually.

Civ is easy to pick up, near impossible to master.

-~1700 hours in Civ V, ~350 is Civ VI

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
The last Civ game i played heavily was III. I know I know. I have 3 kids and was able to kick that addiction. But you ******** have me now thinking of going and getting VI. thanks alot. Do you guys deal any drugs too

On a serious note these games are actually awesome at teaching world history. My now 15 year old played III when he was little and it got him to start loving History.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
~500 hours of Civ 5 logged here myself. I realize that pales in comparison to a lot of people, but it's enough to allow me to call it one of my favorite games of all-time.