RECRUITING: A few notes on 2018 PG Tyler Harris

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
If either were to commit to Iowa State, it would more than likely be Harris, a guard that could team up with Wigginton and create a dynamic and super competitive backcourt for years to come.

It'd be interesting to see what direction the staff goes with guard recruitment if they can get a commitment from Harris in July. I would think that would greatly diminish their chances for AJ Green as it becomes a tougher sell. Hopefully Harris has a solid relationship with TJ Moss as I'm guessing the focus will turn to the shooting guard poisition. Landers Nolley, Greg Williams, and Kyler Edwards were other names I recall as shooting guard targets.

I'm also curious as to who they would prefer if they could choose one, Green or Harris?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It'd be interesting to see what direction the staff goes with guard recruitment if they can get a commitment from Harris in July. I would think that would greatly diminish their chances for AJ Green as it becomes a tougher sell. Hopefully Harris has a solid relationship with TJ Moss as I'm guessing the focus will turn to the shooting guard poisition. Landers Nolley, Greg Williams, and Kyler Edwards were other names I recall as shooting guard targets.

I'm also curious as to who they would prefer if they could choose one, Green or Harris?
I would think the staff would still pursue AJ even if Harris were to commit. Green stated that our staff thinks he could play both guard spots, and it seems like Green likes to be the shooter. But, if we get one and the other walks, we certainly should turn our attention to a shooting prospect

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I would think the staff would still pursue AJ even if Harris were to commit. Green stated that our staff thinks he could play both guard spots, and it seems like Green likes to be the shooter. But, if we get one and the other walks, we certainly should turn our attention to a shooting prospect

No doubt, you'd love to have both!

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The line between point guard and shooting guard is pretty soft in the modern game. I think Prohm's system is even softer than normal for the two concepts.

Morris and Jackson worked pretty well together. No reason you could not run three rotation spots through Wiggi, Brown, and Green -- the latter two have plenty of shooting to play off the ball, and the former might benefit from some opportunities to play off the ball, have some away-ball screens, some open looks, and get a head of steam going to the hoop.

The Morris/Jackson/Mitrou-Long/Thomas back court worked pretty well like that. Heck, Prohm was de facto playing Naz as the point in the half-court sometimes.

Can never have too many guards in the college (and now even so the pro) game.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Or maybe he just liked NW better.

There is an element of recruiting that many of us wouldn't understand, or have a heavy bias of, and that's how a school feels. Sometimes we complicate the recruiting process too much. Some kids just click with different schools and for different reasons.

Yea maybe..NW is arguably the wort P5 program in the history of basketball. Worse than isu fball honestly. But hey maybe he likes purple

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yea maybe..NW is arguably the wort P5 program in the history of basketball. Worse than isu fball honestly. But hey maybe he likes purple

They were an #8 or #9 seed last year and won a game in the tournament, too.

One of the best schools in the Midwest. I was born in Ames and bleed cardinal and gold, but a full ride to NW is about as close to Ivy League it gets without leaving the region.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus' son plays there. You know what Ben Franklin said.

Not faulting a kid from going there.

Last edited:

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

One of the best schools in the Midwest. I was born in Ames and bleed cardinal and gold, but a full ride to NW is about as close to Ivy League it gets without leaving the region.

Julia Louise-Dreyfus' son plays there. You know what Ben Franklin said.

If education is really important to him, it's tough to turn down a free ride to Northwestern.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Julia Louise-Dreyfus' son plays there. You know what Ben Franklin said.

Julia Louise-Dryfus.....

How can anyone compete with that?

Raise the white flag when NW enters the picture.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Or maybe he just liked NW better.

There is an element of recruiting that many of us wouldn't understand, or have a heavy bias of, and that's how a school feels. Sometimes we complicate the recruiting process too much. Some kids just click with different schools and for different reasons.

Most 4 star kids are looking for an opportunity to play in a program where they can get better and showcase their skills with the hopes of getting drafted. I guess Lathon was looking for something else. NW has no track record of success in the NBA draft.

Sometimes I think we under estimate Iowa State. It is a pretty awesome place. That is why we have a lot of success with kids we get on campus. Our issue is that our school is a little bit of a secret nationally. I've attended games at or completed college visits with my kids at Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue, Kentucky, Indiana, Iowa, and Butler. Iowa State is as good or better in overall campus environment in my opinion.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Collins has a pedigree that is attractive and he didn't just stumble his way to an NCAA tournament win. Credit can be given.
It doesn't mean that they are almighty and ISU is pond scum. A lot of overeacting here.

Last edited:

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Matt Shoultz following Tyler Harris on twitter. Guys either a good luck charm or has inside scoop because an announcement of a commitment always seems to succeed his twitter follow.

• Informative
Reactions: Cydkar

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Collins has a pedigree that is attractive and he didn't just stumble his way to an NCAA tournament win. Credit can be given.
It doesn't mean that they are almighty and ISU is pond scum. A lot of overacting here.

Yeah, and NW is losing their main man at PG after next year. He's more needed there.

When we lost Monte, we got Wigginton.

Last edited:

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Are these contacts in the Green camp or from the Uni camp point of view?
My main source is a die hard cyclone fan. He referees and umpires many sporting events in the area. He knows most of the area coaches, some quite well. He is also very well connected in UNI athletic circles. So, I guess I would say just general knowledge of the area sports community. A. Very close family member of mine was one of his hosts when he visited ISU a few weeks ago. Nice family, good kid. Attends quite a few ISU FB games with a friend. No feeling about our chances from that source.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It doesn't mean that they are almighty and ISU is pond scum. A lot of overeacting here.

Northwestern did pretty much stumble their way into the tourney. They finished the regular season losing 6 out of their last 9 games. If they didn't win two games in the big Ten tourney, they would have been in the NIT.

Help Support Us

Become a patron