Defending Chris - Movie "Knowledge" is Overrated

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
After listening to another KXNO spot on Murphy and Andy on CW's lack of knowledge of movies, I think we need a thread on this discussion. They went threw 10 popular movies with too many from the 80's. I think that I also got only 3 correct although I at least sort of recognized a couple of the others but didn't know the name. Movies can be a good way to socialize with people and waste some time but they are entirely overrated. If I want to watch a movie I don't give a hoot who the actors are as I am watching the characters they are portraying.

You are NOT more "cultured" just because you know a bunch of movie quotes. Being cultured means you understand and can relate to different people of the world with different cultures. It does not mean you know a bunch of things about FICTIONAL movies. Having an educated view point on history, science, politics, art, and being able to engage in debate represents a cultured person. Ok, I"m sure most people will disagree but what else is new. /End Rant

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Its the typical response when one generation is shocked that the younger generation doesn't know about the awesome thing they had/experienced. I get it all the time from people about 10 years older than me regarding stuff in the late 60s and 70s. Conversely, I'm always amazed when someone in their 20s doesn't get the genius of Seinfeld or some other 80s or 90s classic.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
There is something to be said about having a good background with iconic movies, but it's not like a make or break thing in terms of who I'm friends with.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Its the typical response when one generation is shocked that the younger generation doesn't know about the awesome thing they had/experienced. I get it all the time from people about 10 years older than me regarding stuff in the late 60s and 70s. Conversely, I'm always amazed when someone in their 20s doesn't get the genius of Seinfeld or some other 80s or 90s classic.

Exactly. I see shows today and I'm like "Seinfeld and Home Improvement were so much better"

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I can't even remember much about TV shows I watched two years ago. I couldn't remember what season I was on, so I picked a random starting point and took til about the 5th episode before I realized I'd already watched that season. Turns out I'd watched the season after that too. Either that or I'm having a massive case of deja vu.

My brain tends to forget worthless information, such as celebrity names, movie plots, etc.

Reactions: kingcy

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

And then comes the sad realization that those young folks don't give a **** about your taste.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Argent, I think you are woefully underestimating the importance of Art and Culture to society. Probably not Better Off Dead, but films are an important way of communicating the human condition.

Plus, they're fun and full of hot people. If only we were all hot. Sigh.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Argent, I think you are woefully underestimating the importance of Art and Culture to society. Probably not Better Off Dead, but films are an important way of communicating the human condition.

Plus, they're fun and full of hot people. If only we were all hot. Sigh.

There are some things that can be learned and communicated well through films. HOWEVER, if this has become the major or only topic that people talk about then I see it as a big negative for society. If a person knows 9 out of 10 movies in this list but can't name the Vice President of the country or find South Korea on a map then we have big problems. There is just way too much emphasis on movies but its big business and they advertise the heck out of them.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
There are some things that can be learned and communicated well through films. HOWEVER, if this has become the major or only topic that people talk about then I see it as a big negative for society. If a person knows 9 out of 10 movies in this list but can't name the Vice President of the country or find South Korea on a map then we have big problems. There is just way too much emphasis on movies but its big business and they advertise the heck out of them.

IMO you are making mountains out of molehills, but the worship of celebrity is troubling. Starting with the President.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
IMO you are making mountains out of molehills, but the worship of celebrity is troubling. Starting with the President.

The President that we have is more of an effect of this, and I like your term, celebrity worship. Part of the reason he because President is because people knew his name and had been on TV. That is scary and half way to Idiocracy. Or maybe they just need a meme.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Woof, you never want to be on the same side as Argent.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
The President that we have is more of an effect of this, and I like your term, celebrity worship. Part of the reason he because President is because people knew his name and had been on TV. That is scary and half way to Idiocracy. Or maybe they just need a meme.

He ran a reality tv campaign and now Presidency. We are a TV culture. Off topic though. Slavoj Zizek has a movie called, "The Pervert's Guide to Cinema" I am dying to see. He is a communist, so politically you would hate him, but he is entertaining, and insightful on culture.

What is really confusing about you Argent is that you say we are an idiocracy, yet you oppose public education. I guess I have a lot more respect for the Teachers I had than you do, or maybe you were educated at home or at a private school.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I haven't listened in a while so not sure exactly what @ArgentCy is mad about. First usually I think it is a bit of an act when they get mad at Chris for something. Second while knowing about movies and other pop culture references can be good Murph and Andy come of extremely pretentious about it.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean