IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I went to Newton trying to give it a chance. It's still boring.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I am not a huge fan, but I have been to a bunch of races. I mainly go to camp for the weekend, drink tons of Busch Lights and people watch. It is the best people watching outside of the State Fair.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Used to go to stock car races growing up...never really knew the appeal either...was a very loud way to spend a Friday night.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The only real appeal to me is time with friends and/or family.

The first thing you have to know about me is I'm easily entertained, so something like NASCAR could entertain me for a few hours, especially with a couple of beers. That also doesn't mean I go out of my way to watch it.

First, prior to ~2000ish and being around the right group of people both at and away from ISU, outside of Dale Earnhardt and Junior, I had near zero appeal of NASCAR at all. It was being around the right group of friends that got me into it - at that time. During that time I went to the summer Daytona race (at the time called the Pepsi 400) and had a blast. Then I married my wife and found out their family liked NASCAR so I stayed into it. We even went to one of the races at Iowa Speedway. Had a blast. Then 6 years ago my wife and I moved to the Detroit metro, and while we live ~90 minutes from the Michigan Speedway, I really stopped watching it. Began realizing the only reason why I watch NASCAR is because my friends and family watch it, but on my own I really couldn't care less.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Watching Scott Dixon's car be ripped to shreds today was pretty amazing

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Couldnt tell you, I just am a fan of racing in general. Understanding what you need to do to the car to get it to perform better is fun to follow. NASCAR has taken a lot of the fun out of it with the initial car set ups and has taken a lot of racing out of it.

Think of it this way, there are people that love soccer, whats the appeal of that? Everybody is different.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm genuinely curious about the appeal too. I do like NASCAR style arcade and simulation racing video games. Watching it I just really couldn't ever begin to care.

It's also hard for me to imagine how a personality can cause fandom...guys like Tiger Woods, Conor McGregor, Mike Tyson, and Michael Jordan made people fans of sports or leagues they otherwise wouldn't care about, but you could see emotion, passion and showmanship on their face as they did it. It's not the driver's fault, they're in a car with a helmet on. The random fan creating personalities I mentioned are helmet-free sports, let alone in a vehicle.

I feel like wrestling or MMA when it devolves into wrestling really does take an expertise to appreciate, so deeply understanding it I can get why others wouldn't get it...but most people have never had any sort of advanced wrestling experience. We've all driven and driven at least somewhat fast, many of us have driven racing simulators that are drastically more realistic than any sort of fighting or wrestling simulation will ever be.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
My issues with NASCAR:

1. Going in a circle means that by lap 200 the leader is somewhere in the middle of the pack. Most other events that involve racing have a clear cut leader that you can see and gauge how much of a lead they have on the next racer, etc. Just look at the Olympics swimming or running events. There is nothing more exciting than seeing the guy in front and seeing if the other guys can catch him before he reaches the finish line. Not easy to do in NASCAR.

2. Again, since racing in a circle (oval, technically), it means that all the turns are exactly the same. Look at the LeMans race (different turns - sharp, medium, slight, etc), rally racing or the Dakar desert rally require a navigator to help negotiate the different turns, dips, etc. Less skill required in NASCAR turns than those other races. NASCAR would benefit from more varied courses than just that boring oval.

3. Not much diversity. Hard to get into which driver I like when the only differentiator I can see is what type of beer sponsors them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron