PTO Time .

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
"Can you put me down for these days? Nobody else is off." Ask, but don't leave room for reason to deny the time requested. Pretty simple, IMO.

I'd always go with courtesy first. Every workplace environment is different, but there are definitely some bosses that would not respond well to being told when their employee won't be in. Why give someone that can fire you a reason to feel disrespected?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Before submitting my requests I have to touch base with my Ops manager to make sure certain other managers aren't already off. There are a couple that would fill in for me when I'm off and there are two depts that I cover when they're off.
Other than that we generally run a 24 hr request window though we do submit preferred week long requests in January for the hot ticket weeks (Xmas/4th July etc) then it's first come first served.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Usually in the months of March, April and May, we aren't taking vacation but other than that, I'm pretty fortunate in that you basically just let the proper people know when you're not going to be around and no one really asks much for questions. If it's rainy on a Friday in June, I'll fill out our form and shoot and email off saying I'm leaving at noon. I've been talked to a lot more about not using all of it than I have about being careless about using it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Mine has to get approved when I submit for it...so basically I'm letting them know through that. I have the option of putting in a specific reason as well to clarify why I'm taking it off.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I always ask but haven't ever been denied. I am bad at waiting until the last minute, but I always make sure that everything is accounted for. I really try to take PTO at the most convenient times for our workflow.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
At my workplace you have to give 24 hour notice (or at least by the end of the prior work day) that you will be taking the next day off. If you don't give notice and you call off it's an occurrence and you only get so many of those within a calendar year before you get put on on some sort of probation and then possibly fired. So yes, if I know I am going to be out ahead of time, I let my manager know. Plus we have a team calendar and if a certain date has too many people taking the day off it won't be approved. In which case that also would be an occurrence if you decided to still take it anyway.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Accruing time maxes out at 40 hrs without needing approval? To me that seems regressive.
Nope, that's not what I meant! I meant that anyone can use as much of their accrued PTO bank as they want, but our HR only allows you to burn up to 40 hrs past your existing bank of time. That 40 hrs would have to be earned back to get the PTO bank back to 0 hrs. Hope.. that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: keepngoal

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
My work is a little more complicated when it comes to getting time off. We have to submit our time off in December for the entire upcoming calendar year. Not only that, but its entirely based on seniority. If you try to get time off later in the year, chances are that somebody else already has it locked up.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
My work is a little more complicated when it comes to getting time off. We have to submit our time off in December for the entire upcoming calendar year. Not only that, but its entirely based on seniority. If you try to get time off later in the year, chances are that somebody else already has it locked up.

We did that in my factory job, though you could change it later if things developed.
On my team, I had seniority, so I could do what I wanted. On my original team, our most senior person took the entire month of December off, and nothing during the year. Nobody else could get time off in December, and we were all tired of that person by their vacation time.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I personally think it would be weird to ask for a day off - it is clearly written in the contract how many days I have off. I let the boss/entire office know about a week ahead of time so they can plan.

pfgemployee

Mar 20, 2009
I can't wait until my employer moves to FTO next year. It's going to be a complete nightmare that pretty much rewards ****** employees and dumps on everyone else.

• Agree
Reactions: CYme

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I personally think it would be weird to ask for a day off - it is clearly written in the contract how many days I have off. I let the boss/entire office know about a week ahead of time so they can plan.

Depending on your industry, a week's notice may simply not be enough notice for time off, especially if you need to be gone for more than just a day or two.

If something came up on relatively short notice, and I needed to be gone for a single day, a week would be alright, but if all of my PTO requests came with only a week's notice, I would expect that my director would start to asking me for more.

Also, as others have stated, it totally depends on how your employer is set up. Some places have policies on how PTO requests need to be made. Others are a much looser setup.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have to get approval from my supervisor, but he's pretty good about it. As long as I have things covered and it's for a satisfactory reason. I give a reason because of the time off I do get between semesters.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Depending on your industry, a week's notice may simply not be enough notice for time off, especially if you need to be gone for more than just a day or two.

If something came up on relatively short notice, and I needed to be gone for a single day, a week would be alright, but if all of my PTO requests came with only a week's notice, I would expect that my director would start to asking me for more.

Also, as others have stated, it totally depends on how your employer is set up. Some places have policies on how PTO requests need to be made. Others are a much looser setup.

Agree. I have friends that work in manufacturing that need to give month's notice, so they can make sure to fill their place on the line and keep the factory moving. 98% of the time I have complete freedom and full reign over my schedule, and while I am gone the work piles up for me to do when I get back vs someone else covering for me while I am gone.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
1200px-Zapfwelle_eines_Traktors_-_power_take-off_of_a_tractor.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
So for the people who ask, what do you say for a reason when you just don't want to be at work?

"I'm gonna sit around on the couch and watch Family Guy all day. Can I have Friday off please?"

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron