PTO Time .

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
For such a large company we surprisingly don't have any approval process and it is pretty much left up to each team and department how to handle it. Mine has a group calendar that we enter it on as well as put it on our monthly status report. It is up to us to make sure everything is covered so as long as you do that and your time off isn't obscene (weeks on end) then I have never heard of anyone having any issues.

Long story short. We pretty much tell.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
We had a form to fill out and be approved. Originally paper, then computer. You did not TELL the supervisor you were taking time off. You ASKED for your REQUEST to be approved.

That being said it was extremely rare to not have it be automatically approved. Usually if there was an issue (too many similar discipline people off at the same time) something could be negotiated. If not, yes, time off requests WERE disapproved.

And yes, that boss was hated.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I told my manager that I will be taking two full weeks off when my wife gives birth to our third child this September. That's probably the only time I have told my manager instead of asking. It's a little different from vacation, but I still need to use PTO for Paternity Leave.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I tell them and never give a reason since I am not required. Others in my dept give their life story and nobody actually cares that the need to take a kid to the doctor, get their oil changed and have lunch with a friend. Spare us the details.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
With my staff, I have always had the policy of if you are caught up with your work, and you have made sure that we have adequate coverage in all the areas we need, you can take off as long as you have the time. Thankfully, my staff is awesome and has never taken advantage of it, so this has worked well. My boss is the same way with me and the other assistant, and we have never taken advantage of it, so again, it works.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
As a manager we set up my team with a shared outlook calendar for PTO. This was so everyone could see when other team members were away. I honestly don't care when people take PTO but my policy is that my employees are responsible for looking to see if they are on-call that week or if they have prior obligations and if they do, they have to find backups. Otherwise, the policy is to book an all day appointment / recurring appt for when you are going to be on PTO, invite me and the shared calendar and if I 'Accept' it you are good.

Oh..I also want in the invite how many PTO hours are built up so my employees don't go too far in the hole (they can go up to 40 hrs in the hole, but after that they need HR permission)

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Oh..I also want in the invite how many PTO hours are built up so my employees don't go too far in the hole (they can go up to 40 hrs in the hole, but after that they need HR permission)

Accruing time maxes out at 40 hrs without needing approval? To me that seems regressive.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think it depends on the environment. Depending on the job one or the other is probably appropriate.

Exactly this. It all depends on what you do and who relies on you to be there. There are times when I just put it on my calendar and don't tell my boss ahead of time. But I'm completely responsible for my own schedule. I only get complaints if I miss a deadline or meeting.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I told my manager that I will be taking two full weeks off when my wife gives birth to our third child this September. That's probably the only time I have told my manager instead of asking. It's a little different from vacation, but I still need to use PTO for Paternity Leave.
The company I work for introduced a paid 1 (or 2?) week paternity leave about a month after I had my vasectomy which was about a month after my second kid. :( If not for the 'V' I might have had another one just for the free vacation time:)