Friday OT #1 - Niggling Annoyances

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
When the garage floor gets really dirty it absolutely drives me nuts. Our garage is our primary entrance into the house, so I try to keep the floor as clean as possible. Winter is the worst since you bring in all of the salt, snow, and grit from the roads and it drives me nuts! I'll sweep the garage out in freezing temps just to scratch the itch.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
No idea how one would maintain a sense of control over your day with that many (even if I knew all were junk, I'd be worried there was something in there I missed).
I miss plenty of stuff when I get on a roll deleting all the crap they send over the course of the evening.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If I see messages in my inbox, I have to check them, and then file them, regardless of the time of day. No idea how people leave hundreds of emails (especially unread) in their inbox.

The way I set up my inboxes on my phone, I have two separate inboxes for my main email (my mistake, but it fixed another problem), and when I read the message in one inbox, there's always a lag before it marks read in the other, which drives me crazy, even though I know what the email says and know it's already deleted from the other. Sometimes I'll delete both, but it will also frequently disappear when I go to delete it, so I end up deleting another message and have to go back and pull one I wanted to save out of the trash.

Filing emails is a waste of time. :) Seriously, it's encouraged at my workplace as a time saver.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
My email at work. If you saw the amount of crap I get. One person has sent 5 updates this morning to a weekly meeting invite. It has gotten to the point where any emails in regards to one client they copy me on and I have no idea why. never mind the glut of junk email the company sends out.
View attachment 47900

I have 1354 unread. I probably have less unread posts on CF.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Well, you did say annoyance: It bugs the living heck out of me when I see people litter. It shows so little respect for what's given you (ie third person). Though I've never done it...yet, I've always been tempted to give it back to them. Whether it's a cigarette butt, or dog crap, I'm so tempted to just put it on their front door step.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Mine is chipped nail polish. Once I notice one of them is chipped beyond repair I will pick at them throughout day and usually have all the polish gone by the end of the day.

Reactions: Angie

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
My email at work. If you saw the amount of crap I get. One person has sent 5 updates this morning to a weekly meeting invite. It has gotten to the point where any emails in regards to one client they copy me on and I have no idea why. never mind the glut of junk email the company sends out.
View attachment 47900

Along similar lines, when a person sends an email to five people that says, "Let me know when each of you are free and I will schedule a meeting."

My reply is always the same. "My calendar in Outlook is up to date."

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Along similar lines, when a person sends an email to five people that says, "Let me know when each of you are free and I will schedule a meeting."

My reply is always the same. "My calendar in Outlook is up to date."

This annoys the ever living **** out of me.

However, I did have someone schedule a softball practice for a work team at 6:00 at night because "according to everyone's calendar, you are all free at this time".

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Late tot he party, sorry - was away all weekend starting Thursday.

Since I'm OCPD, there are TONS of things that annoy me. My wife is fond of going in a room, turning on the light, and leaving......with the light still on! So I turn them off, only to get chastised that "I was going back in there!"

People who don't flush the toilet at work. People who don't know how to use roundabouts while driving. Taverhok fans on ISU threads. Litterbugs.

OK, I have to stop now because I'm getting very annoyed just thinking about them!!!! (LOL)

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
. People who don't know how to use roundabouts while driving.

OK, I have to stop now because I'm getting very annoyed just thinking about them!!!! (LOL)

I know it's a challenge for people my age and older but having spent a month in Australia and NZ I had to figure it out. They work and move traffic very well.

I doubt there was any coverage of this in our Drivers Ed classes when we had them. Maybe a mention with a disclaimer that we don't have any of these anywhere around here (then).

The State DOT needs to put together a 3 minute video explaining how they work and have them available on line and have them broadcast as PSA's.

People just stop (or don't stop) at inappropriate times because they have no idea how they work

Last edited:

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Well, you did say annoyance: It bugs the living heck out of me when I see people litter. It shows so little respect for what's given you (ie third person). Though I've never done it...yet, I've always been tempted to give it back to them. Whether it's a cigarette butt, or dog crap, I'm so tempted to just put it on their front door step.

Agreed. I saw a guy chuck trash (I think it was a paper cup) out of his car at a stop light. I was behind him. At the next intersection I pulled up next to him and asked him politely if he knew his trash went out of the car. " I actually think he was embarrassed, as he should be. Littering, particularly things that are not biodegradable absolutely irritates the heck out of me.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Going to the DOT driver's license station in West Ames and see the new cars out front, you stand in line, get your number, and then realize you are the minority. Well after waiting for a good 15 minutes or so international people, who speak very little English, cannot understand what they need to have for paper work, leave, get their new car, and drive off. What did I miss out on here?? You just want to pull a Billy Madison type and just say " Today Junior, in English!!" I always just shake my head whenever they are getting their license.

Just to note, I go to Boone now, way less traffic and you can get in and out in about 10 minutes. Since my license is not due again until 2020, I will probably be able to just have it on my cell phone by then.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Household chores.

I grew up in a small house, so my mom would keep things very clean and organized to maximize space, which worked. I now live in a small apartment with my fiancé and 99 times out of 100, I'm doing all the household chores as I almost can't settle down for the night until they are done.

It will only get worse once you stop living in sin and are stuck with here for life. Get out while you still can. Ring be damned.