*** Official #24 IOWA STATE VS #10 West Virginia Game(Day) Thread ***

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Change the rules to everyone being allowed 7-8 fouls? ISU got called for being in the area vs. what WV does. Math was against them.

ISU screwed up offensively by taking the bait of the open floor and getting in a hurry.
The plain simple truth is we got outplayed. The refs didn't help but we got outplayed this game. Hopefully the team learns and gets better but time is running out.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
WV hasn't had any former player do hardly ANYTHING in the NBA since the great Jerry West.

You don't go to WV to learn how to play basketball, you go there to play thug ball. And then when you're done playing there, you disappear again into the hills to never be seen again. Just the facts.

Reactions: NoCreativity

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
It really pisses me off when the media defends officials saying WV makes so many fouls they can't call them all. Why not, all they have to do is is have enough balls to blow the whistle and call all of them early in the game. That just might change things

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The plain simple truth is we got outplayed. The refs didn't help but we got outplayed this game. Hopefully the team learns and gets better but time is running out.

There's some truth in that--WV was rolling, and also I think the local high school commentators mentioned the kid with 20-some points was a 37% shooter or something.

But it's really hard to keep it up on defense when you've been called like ISU did, vs. WV always having their hands somewhere and getting nothing.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
No, the piece de resistance was the announcer talking about how the WVU defender was so good that he almost never fouls and that officials question their own calls when he ******* and whines.

GoldCard

Nov 25, 2016
It really pisses me off when the media defends officials saying WV makes so many fouls they can't call them all. Why not, all they have to do is is have enough balls to blow the whistle and call all of them early in the game. That just might change things

This. Just call the damn fouls and end this BS. It is an embarrassment to the league that basketball is allowed to be played the WVU way.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Which is why WVU, during Huggy's tenure (2006-07) rarely makes it into the round of 32, much less the second weekend and beyond.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
There's a large enough sample size to know we have more rebounding issues than the refs.
Absolutely. I just think we wouldn't have gotten murdered. I'm okay with consistently losing the rebounding battle as long as we keep it respectable because that's who we are. Ain't nobody growing mid season.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There's a large enough sample size to know we have more rebounding issues than the refs.

Yep...that needs to change and perhaps a solid week off can clean that up a bit, although unlikely as it's just not a good rebounding team.

Although when a loss like this happens maybe it's best to get to a game and get a quick fix.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
There's some truth in that--WV was rolling, and also I think the local high school commentators mentioned the kid with 20-some points was a 37% shooter or something.

But it's really hard to keep it up on defense when you've been called like ISU did, vs. WV always having their hands somewhere and getting nothing.
2 good teams played tonight. 1 team played well the other didn't. There were some unbalanced calls which skewed the total outcome. The way WVU was playing ISU could have played well and still could have lost a close one.

• Dislike
Reactions: Ozclone

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Absolutely. I just think we wouldn't have gotten murdered. I'm okay with consistently losing the rebounding battle as long as we keep it respectable because that's who we are. Ain't nobody growing mid season.
I'm not expecting being even, but we can and need to do better. We've been able to overcome it, but we've regressed a bit in that regard.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
2 good teams played tonight. 1 team played well the other didn't. There were some unbalanced calls which skewed the total outcome. The way WVU was playing ISU could have played well and still could have lost a close one.

If ISU is more patient on offense and some of those shots fall, we're maybe looking at a 1-2 possession game late.

ISU would need to be allowed to be physical on defense, too. That didn't happen.

Help Support Us

Become a patron