iPhone 7 release and the great headphone debate

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
I was hoping the new Iphone would have wireless charging. I'm sure this is the direction they are moving and would solve all of the "I can't charge and listen at the same time" issues.

Anybody know why this wasn't introduced at the same time? From what I've been told, they own the technology to implement, but haven't yet.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It really takes up that much space?

I really think it's all just an excuse to push bluetooth only which is just a way to sell more expensive headphones.

It takes more than a chip does. It has to accommodate a plug, housing, and support so it doesnt break off. Like I said, you dont have to agree, but there is some legitimacy to their claims.

• Winner
Reactions: Jer

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
When you're talking about something the size of a phone every bit of space is valuable.

I do think it's a mistake to not add wireless charging, that would solve one of the main issues I see removing the 3.5mm causing, it's also one of my favorite things about my Note.

• Agree

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
What's the difference in battery consumption for the new lightning plug vs the traditional analog for playing music? Is the analog more power hungry? Same? I have no idea but would think they'd be able to get some power savings this way? I thought analog always drew more juice?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
What's the difference in battery consumption for the new lightning plug vs the traditional analog for playing music? Is the analog more power hungry? Same? I have no idea but would think they'd be able to get some power savings this way? I thought analog always drew more juice?

Im sure its negligible. If you look at the innards of the phone, they expanded the battery and haptic engine into the space so they made use of it. It wasnt for ***** and giggles. Im curious what the larger haptic engineprovides totally. I would imagine that will have some more power draw.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
When you're talking about something the size of a phone every bit of space is valuable.

I do think it's a mistake to not add wireless charging, that would solve one of the main issues I see removing the 3.5mm causing, it's also one of my favorite things about my Note.

That's true I guess.

They make a big deal that the technology hasn't changed for 100 years and they just made it smaller 50 years ago.

It hasn't changed because it actually works and is super reliable.

I'm just not a fan of removing options that actually still work. And I'm cheap and don't want to shell out cash for bluetooth headphones.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That's true I guess.

They make a big deal that the technology hasn't changed for 100 years and they just made it smaller 50 years ago.

It hasn't changed because it actually works and is super reliable.

I'm just not a fan of removing options that actually still work. And I'm cheap and don't want to shell out cash for bluetooth headphones.
Nothing says that you have to.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone1985

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I was hoping the new Iphone would have wireless charging. I'm sure this is the direction they are moving and would solve all of the "I can't charge and listen at the same time" issues.

Anybody know why this wasn't introduced at the same time? From what I've been told, they own the technology to implement, but haven't yet.

They can save it for a future release and have it be a new feature they can charge for.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I'd gather that they take more battery, but Apple feels that they combated that by increasing the battery life by 14% and by making the processor hella fast.

That being said - I was waiting until yesterday to decide if I was going to wait for the 7, or do the SE for cheaper. I think I'll just do the SE, nothing justified the price difference to me as a midlevel user. I'm not gaming or anything on it that would require the upgrades. I have a DSLR for if I want high-level photos.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Just one picky thing that would bug me if I bought this phone:
I go to the gym frequently enough and listen to music off my phone when I lift weights. I'll hop onto a bike or a treadmill and unplug my headphones from my phone and plug them into the machine to be able to hear the TV. The machines don't have bluetooth, so I have to use a wired connection. To continue to do this, I'd have to buy an adapter for the phone.
It may sound minuscule and a woe is me but still something that may be annoying.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My wife is going to get one probably just because her last phone is sort of crapping out and she wants to trade it before it dies. I'm curious about it, but I'll wait to see how everything shakes out as far as headphones go. I am incredibly cheap too, and used to only upgrade and trade my old phones which was basically a wash as far as cash goes.

I will say I like to use my headphones when cleaning and I can't count the number of door handles I've caught the cords on and yanked my earhole. Don't about audio quality, because I basically just listen to talk anyway.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Just one picky thing that would bug me if I bought this phone:
I go to the gym frequently enough and listen to music off my phone when I lift weights. I'll hop onto a bike or a treadmill and unplug my headphones from my phone and plug them into the machine to be able to hear the TV. The machines don't have bluetooth, so I have to use a wired connection. To continue to do this, I'd have to buy an adapter for the phone.
It may sound minuscule and a woe is me but still something that may be annoying.

The phone comes with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter, you don't have to buy anything