Would like to see Marcus Fizer as an assistant coach

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
This is such a horrible idea. If we're hiring a former player as an assistant I'd go after Petersen, who would decline the job in all likelihood since he's already a head coach... Fizer doesn't have any coaching or recruiting experience... Why would we replace our top recruiter with someone who has never done it before???

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is such a horrible idea. If we're hiring a former player as an assistant I'd go after Petersen, who would decline the job in all likelihood since he's already a head coach... Fizer doesn't have any coaching or recruiting experience... Why would we replace our top recruiter with someone who has never done it before???

Peterson would be stepping up quite a bit as assistant at Iowa State.

Regarding Marcus, the only way I could see it ever happening is if he came on as a low level assistant and worked his way up from there, or started at a lower level and earned a shot. He definitely lives and breathes ISU.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
How about Jamaal Tinsley. We put him in charge of recruiting at Rucker Park.

Nazty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2014
Would love to see Fizer come in as a grad assistant.

Berry may be a good guy and a decent coach, but ISU needs to have more Midwest ties than just Danyial. The upper Midwest is where we have had the most success and Prohm seems to want to abandon that for the Southeast where it will be much harder to get guys to come to Iowa.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I wonder if this is the spot that we can put Seneca Wallace... imagine him coaching someone into recreating "the run" in basketball form.

It would be like NBA jam, run around the edge of the floor at 1.5 time the speed of your opponents and after they are all following your exact path, dunk it.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I say we go with Stevie Johnson. He could be an assistant for both basketball and football. Two for the price of one. Pollard would love that too.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Manning did it at Kansas why can't Fizer do it here?

Danny worked his way up from a guy who mostly worked basketball camps and entertained recruits when they came to lawrence, to a waterboy/cheerleader eventually got on as a special assistant and about 10 years later because an official assistant coach. Doubt Fizer wants to wait that long to get started coaching.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Shouldn't this thread be merged with the "Should We Hire Sage" thread.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Danny worked his way up from a guy who mostly worked basketball camps and entertained recruits when they came to lawrence, to a waterboy/cheerleader eventually got on as a special assistant and about 10 years later because an official assistant coach. Doubt Fizer wants to wait that long to get started coaching.

Does he want to coach or just recruit?

mcfaj0dm

Mar 30, 2006
It'd be great to bookmark this thread - save it, so in 10-15 years we can see the responses when a similar situation arises and Niang's name is tossed out...

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Fans of the school that hired Fred Hoiberg to be the HEAD COACH are questioning Fizer as an option for an assistant?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron