Blum: Keeping up with the Big 12 Weirdos

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I'm not going to find Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in there am I?

Brad-Pitt-may-join-his-Interview-With-a-Vampire-co-star-Tom-Cruise-in-Go-Like-Hell.jpg

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
Good stuff. This is why I think after Rhoads is gone we need to bring a KState- Minnesota style offense to Ames to have a better chance of winning. Can't compete with the athletes Baylor, TCU, etc have.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Blum is 100% on point. We need a strong ball control offense to compete. We need to take our time and slow the game down, keep the other offense off the field.

Completely ridiculous when we tried to run an up tempo offense a few years ago. We were playing right into their hands with our quick three and outs.

KSU (Snyder) has shown ISU how it can be successful. I think Mangino gets it and could get us there in a couple of years. But doubt he and Rhoads will get the chance.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Is Bill Parcells available as a consultant? Bring back some smash mouth football!

The man won a Super Bowl with Jeff Hostetler.....Jeff. Hostetler.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Been saying this long before this article..
Need offenses like Air Force, Georgia Tech, KSU, teams don't see it at often and it levels the playing field a bit.

Makes no sense to try and implement a TCU/Baylor offense given they bring a much higher talent level to party..

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
To be fair this was CPR's recipe in '09-'11. We are fantastic when keeping the opponent to 24 points or less. But with Wally's D devastated over the last two years, it just didn't work. Now with a salty D, I don't expect us to keep teams under 24, but it needs to be around 30 I think.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Blum is 100% on point. We need a strong ball control offense to compete. We need to take our time and slow the game down, keep the other offense off the field.

Completely ridiculous when we tried to run an up tempo offense a few years ago. We were playing right into their hands with our quick three and outs.

KSU (Snyder) has shown ISU how it can be successful. I think Mangino gets it and could get us there in a couple of years. But doubt he and Rhoads will get the chance.

Hope we are not now into slow three and outs. Both are bad.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Not to worry- I'm sure we'll get down early and be forced to sling three quick incomplete passes every offensive series so as to burn little clock as possible, allowing opposing offenses ample time to attain point totals in the triple digits.

arogers88

Jun 2, 2013
Sounds like the boring ball control game plan that is run in the eastern part of the state. Wonder where KF got it if from? I'm not saying it doesn't work but it can be boring and frustrating to watch when it's not working. Just ask a few Hawk fans.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

We have never been an uptempo team. Ever. In the Rhoads era we have been in the middle and more towards the slower tempo side. KSU is definitely the slowest paced team in the Big 12 but the last couple of years we haven't been very far behind them.

While I agree that we need to be slower paced, they need to be able to adjust the pace like they always have to take advantage of the opponent and keep them out of rythm. WE also need to be able to execute and have a defense with a pulse. The last couple of years, that has not been the case.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Good stuff. This is why I think after Rhoads is gone we need to bring a KState- Minnesota style offense to Ames to have a better chance of winning. Can't compete with the athletes Baylor, TCU, etc have.

Uh, no thanks to the Minnesota offense. Yuck.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We have never been an uptempo team. Ever. In the Rhoads era we have been in the middle and more towards the slower tempo side. KSU is definitely the slowest paced team in the Big 12 but the last couple of years we haven't been very far behind them.

While I agree that we need to be slower paced, they need to be able to adjust the pace like they always have to take advantage of the opponent and keep them out of rythm. WE also need to be able to execute and have a defense with a pulse. The last couple of years, that has not been the case.

Have you not learned. It's a simple equation. Spread formations=Uptempo, Read option offenses.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Great article. Getting behind the chains with negative plays and penalties cannot happen or it's going to be a long day. The Vampire's teams generally don't make mistakes and exhibit extreme mental toughness.

With a decent running game, can we turn Sam into a Colin Klein or Jake Waters? If he's trying to be Bryce Petty we are SOL.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Great article. Getting behind the chains with negative plays and penalties cannot happen or it's going to be a long day. The Vampire's teams generally don't make mistakes and exhibit extreme mental toughness.

With a decent running game, can we turn Sam into a Colin Klein or Jake Waters? If he's trying to be Bryce Petty we are SOL.
Sam doesn't need to be a Collin Klein or Jake Waters. He needs to be who he was on Saturday

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Errors/penalties/poor decision making on all 3 divisions is more the problem than offensive "style".

This team with efficient and consistent execution of fundamentals would go much further than changing offense, yet again.

H8fkr

Aug 29, 2012
We need power running and a vertical passing game. And utilize the TE ffs.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Uh, no thanks to the Minnesota offense. Yuck.

Agreed. There is a difference between a methodical offense and a bad offense. Neither puts a ton of points on the board, but one is a little more effective than the other. I question whether we have the OL to really be an effective ball control offense.

Further, I don't know if this some huge departure. I don't think we've tried to get in shootouts with teams. We just fall behind early and then have no choice. Gotta keep it close and win the trenches to ball-control.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron