Friday OT - Names

SpartClone

Oct 19, 2006
My wife and I had a terribly difficult time coming up with a first name for our son. I wanted to use Leslie as the middle name, it's my middle name, my dad's first name, and my grandpa's middle name...so I wanted to keep that going. Finding a name to go well with Leslie was difficult. We settled on Weston, something he can shorten when older, and not sound like a kid name.Our daughter's name was something I had picked out for years. I always thought the name Hannah was awesome, and I don't know any Hannah's currently, outside of my daughter. I know it's a popular name, but how popular can it be, if I've never known a single one?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My name is Tad. Just T-A-D. I really don't like it mainly because I get called Ted, Thad, Tadd. Or people always ask if it is short for something. It isn't. I also dealt with the nickname of tadpole all through elementary school.

My boys' names are:
Madden Steen- steen is my wife's maiden name
Mavryk Kruze- we always like the name mavryk and kruze and since we aren't having more kids after this one we just combined the two.

If you don't like them, I don't care. :rolleyes:
With a name like Tad if you're not always wearing a pastel colored polo shirt with a white sweater tied around your neck and white shorts with boat shoes I'm going to be very upset.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My wife and I had a terribly difficult time coming up with a first name for our son. I wanted to use Leslie as the middle name, it's my middle name, my dad's first name, and my grandpa's middle name...so I wanted to keep that going. Finding a name to go well with Leslie was difficult. We settled on Weston, something he can shorten when older, and not sound like a kid name.Our daughter's name was something I had picked out for years. I always thought the name Hannah was awesome, and I don't know any Hannah's currently, outside of my daughter. I know it's a popular name, but how popular can it be, if I've never known a single one?

I have a niece named Hannah, but that's the only one I know. How old is your daughter, I bet there aren't many in her class!

Does the hat come with the name? If so I'm out.

But Jamiroquai was Pharrell before Pharrell was. You know, minus the talent.

SpartClone

Oct 19, 2006
Also, had a friend name his son Trice...never heard that before. I am so jealous I didn't think of it earlier. It's unique, but if you live in Iowa, it's a name you've heard often.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My name is fine. Normal, but not super trendy and era specific.

There are a ridiculous number of names ending in "vowel-n" combos these days. I have friends with children under the ages of 10 that have names like Carson, Aidan, Nolan, Paxton, etc. Nothing wrong with it, but it's definitely common. I did have a buddy recently name his son Jones, which I thought was a pretty solid name. Unique without being trendy, and easy to pronounce/spell.

My wife wants to name our kids weird names, like Oswald, which I guess I'm fine with. Call him Ozzie. I'm a big fan of a name like Hans. Good, strong, German name. I would prefer Germanic first names for my children, and so does she. My wife once suggested Lucca. I completely lost my ****.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My name is fine. Normal, but not super trendy and era specific.

There are a ridiculous number of names ending in "vowel-n" combos these days. I have friends with children under the ages of 10 that have names like Carson, Aidan, Nolan, Paxton, etc. Nothing wrong with it, but it's definitely common. I did have a buddy recently name his son Jones, which I thought was a pretty solid name. Unique without being trendy, and easy to pronounce/spell.

My wife wants to name our kids weird names, like Oswald, which I guess I'm fine with. Call him Ozzie. I'm a big fan of a name like Hans. Good, strong, German name. I would prefer Germanic first names for my children, and so does she. My wife once suggested Lucca. I completely lost my ****.

Please explain that the name Lucca is bad, terrible luck.

I really liked the name Abraham for a while, nickname Bram. We were a little afraid of the fallout, though, so we aren't using it.

I WILL say that both of our living children's names fail the Name Game test spectacularly.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm pretty sure that it is a package deal. Naming your kid Jamiroquai and not going with the hat definitely would make it weird.
So does he come out of the womb wearing the hat or do we get it in the mail as part of a "You just named your kid Jamiroquai" care package?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
If it is a girl, just replace the Is with Ys and and lyn at the end an you will be ok.

Of actually, do the exact opposite. Sound good? Alright.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
But Jamiroquai was Pharrell before Pharrell was. You know, minus the talent.

Oh really? Can Pharrell dance in a room with a moving floor? I think not!

jamiroquai-o.gif

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If it is a girl, just replace the Is with Ys and and lyn at the end an you will be ok.

Of actually, do the exact opposite. Sound good? Alright.
[video=youtube;PIjo1QmHVqA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIjo1QmHVqA[/video]

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
As for choosing names, we were looking at the meanings of the name. I don't really trust the name websites much because they claim x means y, but only because of the supposed root word. I was really surprised with some of the supposed meanings. One girl's name mean husband killer...... I thankfully don't remember which one it was though.

I think this is why we stuck with Hebrew or Greek origin names.

It was pretty easy for us to come up with girl names: Natania, Zoe, and a few others. Then for our first daughter the spouse says hey, what about y & z together they will mean gift of grace.

Boy names were hard to agree on. There were too many Zachs, Lukes, Ezekiel, Johnathan, Nathans...... For the middle name we thought of a family name.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I know a guy with the last name Steel who named his son Max. It is no Max Power, but pretty cool anyway.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
This might depend on the perspective of the parent. Some people just like telling others. Some people are just sick of everyone asking what the name is.

For us, we wanted to wait with our first child. Since she died, we really wanted people to know and relate to the second one and told people her name as soon as we knew she was a girl.

Makes absolute sense to me.

Ultrasounds were less common when I was pregnant; although I had one with the first child (to rule out twins), we chose to NOT be told the sex. We tried to not know in advance on our grandkids, but when your kid shows you pictures of a pink baby room, you kind of figure it out...

Besides, when you go through six before a boy shows up, and all the ones that follow are female, you pretty much start assuming it will be another girl. I think they're all done now, so maybe there will be some boys in the great-grandchild generation.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I know a guy with the last name Steel who named his son Max. It is no Max Power, but pretty cool anyway.
There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
So does he come out of the womb wearing the hat or do we get it in the mail as part of a "You just named your kid Jamiroquai" care package?

That depends on what package you choose. The limited edition... or the basic edition. Can you really put a price tag on your child's sense of style?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That depends on what package you choose. The limited edition... or the basic edition. Can you really put a price tag on your child's sense of style?
Well I'm convinced, we weren't going to have another but I don't think we have a choice now.