A few questions for a member of the ISUCF"V"MB

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Do you have any idea what the new band uniforms may look like?
Also, will you have them for the next football season?
A few years back, the band played "Go Cyclones, Go Cyclones..., ISU!" for every first down, how come they don't play it nearly as much as they used to? (FYI I love the horn guy tradition but I love when the band play Go Cyclones too)

Thanks and GO CYCLONES! :smile:

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
No idea on the uniforms, but when the band switched to the north endzone, the playing of the 1st down cheer got cut down due to the band making it difficult for the team to hear on offense especially when they were on the north side of the field.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
They don't play because they got in "trouble" for playing when the offense was trying to call in a play. Chizik got mad and the athletic department told the band not to play when the offense is on their side of the 50.

Kinda pisses me off.

hawkclone11

Dec 13, 2008
Do you have any idea what the new band uniforms may look like?
Also, will you have them for the next football season?

New uniforms are still in the initial design stages. Directors and athletics are working with our design company to get some sketches made right now. We hope to have a few samples made up for next fall so the current members can get an idea of what they'll look like. The plan right now is to have them ready for the '11 season, not this coming season since producing the new ones will take some time.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
They don't play because they got in "trouble" for playing when the offense was trying to call in a play. Chizik got mad and the athletic department told the band not to play when the offense is on their side of the 50.

Kinda pisses me off.

Pretty sure this was around in McCarney's year as well...at least his final year. That was my freshman year and I remember the horn guy playing when the band couldn't.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I was in it from 2003, 2004 and 2005. It was during the chizik tenure that the 1st down cheer died during the chizik tenure.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
All I have to say, is that if the band puts on another crowd pleasing performance like single-ladies, it won't matter what the uniform looks like. At the bowl game, people were giving Minnesota fans crap for how awesome our band was compared to theirs.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
The "Horn Guy" goes back to at least fall of 2006, McCarney's last year. Check out the Facebook group "Fans of the guy who blows the horn thingy at the football games"...first post on the wall was October '06.

Some people need to get over their hatred of Chizik and realize that not everything "bad" with our football program can be tied to him.

TrueAndValiant

Sep 7, 2009
Yeah, we started to not play the 1st down cheer as much during the Chizik era, but now with the no-huddle offense, it's just difficult to get in many offensive cheers in general.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
You can play cheers with the no huddle especially ours...just because it is no huddle doesn't mean it's fast cause ours sure as hell isn't most of the time.

TrueAndValiant

Sep 7, 2009
Ours is fast enough. Once the center is down over the ball, we have to stop playing, even if the QB is still adjusting the play. It's best if we do not try to sneak in a few seconds of music.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I seem to remember it happening in Chizik's first year as well..

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I seem to remember it happening in Chizik's first year as well..

That may be when it was made "official", but it was definitely complained about during McCarney's last year.

It happened right after a game where the team got a false start called on them, in which we happened to play right up to the snap, and the team got ****** at us and was clearly looking our direction afterwards.

So, I think soon after that we were told to not do it anymore, and then the whole of the next year (Chizik's first), were kept to that.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Bret Meyer was quoted in the Daily making a comment about how it was difficult to hear over the band in the Fall of 2006. That was the beginning. We were no longer allowed to play when the offense was on our side of the field.

When Chizik came in 2007, the request (not an order) came down through the ranks that we not play the third down cheer because the offense often ran audibles on 3rd down.

In 2008, along with the lack of first downs due to lackluster performance on offense, we were told by the Athletic dept that we were not to play while we were on offense. This pretty much ended the band playing during that time of the game.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
It doesn't matter when it started. I would rather have our players hear the play over the band playing their cheers. I enjoy the band, don't get me wrong. However, I would rather we have the football team get first priority over the band playing.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Bret Meyer was quoted in the Daily making a comment about how it was difficult to hear over the band in the Fall of 2006. That was the beginning. We were no longer allowed to play when the offense was on our side of the field.

When Chizik came in 2007, the request (not an order) came down through the ranks that we not play the third down cheer because the offense often ran audibles on 3rd down.

In 2008, along with the lack of first downs due to lackluster performance on offense, we were told by the Athletic dept that we were not to play while we were on offense. This pretty much ended the band playing during that time of the game.

^This is accurate from what I can recall as well. 04-10

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
Yeah, we started to not play the 1st down cheer as much during the Chizik era, but now with the no-huddle offense, it's just difficult to get in many offensive cheers in general.

yea, i had never seen so many delay of game penalties with a no huddle offense either, but chizdick found a way.

Help Support Us

Become a patron