To All the Skeptics, From A Skeptic...

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Be wary of the Hoiberg hire. I am. There were way more qualified candidates out there. Some with recruiting ties, some with NCAA tourney coaching experience.

But I will tell you one thing, NONE of those candidates will care as much about the University we love as much as the Mayor will. And who knows, maybe his time in NBA means that he has knowledge that none of the other candidates would have about the game, about what skills need to be developed for an NBA GM to notice you, which I'm sure can't hurt recruiting.

As a guy that never liked the McDermott hire... I still supported him from the time he got here until I felt all hope was lost with him at the helm. I feel we owe that much to Fred. Be skeptical of the hire, but the fact is, none of us know what he will be like as a coach. Sure, our image of the hometown hero might go down the tubes if he fails, but on the other hand, he could be the better than Eustachy, better than Floyd, and better than Orr. Let's withhold judgement of him until one season is in the books.

So when the time comes to pack Hilton for his first game, let's do it, and let's pack it all season. We were once a program that was capable of running with ANY team in the country at Hilton... We can get back to it!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The way I would classify this is "Ryan Howard." It's either home run or a strike out. There is no Ichiro Suzuki in this hire.

CRLCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Be wary of the Hoiberg hire. I am. There were way more qualified candidates out there. Some with recruiting ties, some with NCAA tourney coaching experience.

But I will tell you one thing, NONE of those candidates will care as much about the University we love as much as the Mayor will. And who knows, maybe his time in NBA means that he has knowledge that none of the other candidates would have about the game, about what skills need to be developed for an NBA GM to notice you, which I'm sure can't hurt recruiting.

As a guy that never liked the McDermott hire... I still supported him from the time he got here until I felt all hope was lost with him at the helm. I feel we owe that much to Fred. Be skeptical of the hire, but the fact is, none of us know what he will be like as a coach. Sure, our image of the hometown hero might go down the tubes if he fails, but on the other hand, he could be the better than Eustachy, better than Floyd, and better than Orr. Let's withhold judgement of him until one season is in the books.

So when the time comes to pack Hilton for his first game, let's do it, and let's pack it all season. We were once a program that was capable of running with ANY team in the country at Hilton... We can get back to it!

Fantastic Post. Can't deny any part of your post!! Go Cyclones.. Bring back the magic.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Let's put it this way...I wouldn't have purchased season tix next year....now I likely will.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Its definitely a ballsy move. Way outside the normal coaching hire. That could be a great thing!

Have no idea what we'll see but very interested to see what his first couple of recruiting classes look like! Lots of scholarship to give out.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

Good post. We won't know if Freddie will work out or not for several years. There are risks to hiring any coach. Freddie comes with some risks, but also has some benefits that no one else can bring. Should be fun to see what happens.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Did Jamie have a vacation scheduled for the end of this week?

- mow lawn...check
- stop mail...check
- kennel dog...check
- hire a Big12 basketball coach...check
- set livingroom light timer...check

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Nobody knows what his staff will look like or the contract details, so it's all knee-jerk reactions. It's more than likely a done deal, so get behind him for at least a year before you lose all hope. If Hoiberg is as smart as we know him to be, and I've had class with Fred and can attest that he is, he will be able to run this program. JP has always said the head coach is the CEO, and CEOs hire the right people for day-to-day. McD was a COACH, but at this level you need guys that know how to do it all. Top dog is all about the people around them, and good people flock to strong leadership.

I don't know if this will work, but I'm sure as hell going to support Fred as much as I've supported EVERY coach while they were coach here. Here's hoping that this was a BRILLIANT move!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just wanting to be here is not a big qualification for a Big 12 head coach. Greg McDermott would have stayed here forever had he been able to win.

If he succeeds, great. I really, really hope he does, because I'm a cyclone fan and I want to see Iowa State win. But you play the odds in any coaching hire and this is a very low percentage hand that jamie is going all in on. And to compound it, if we lose on this bet, it is going to absolutely tear the fanbase apart. Some called BCG a risk? I think this might be one of the riskiest hires possible.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Just wanting to be here is not a big qualification for a Big 12 head coach. Greg McDermott would have stayed here forever had he been able to win.

If he succeeds, great. I really, really hope he does, because I'm a cyclone fan and I want to see Iowa State win. But you play the odds in any coaching hire and this is a very low percentage hand that jamie is going all in on. And to compound it, if we lose on this bet, it is going to absolutely tear the fanbase apart.

I cannot disagree with you on any of those points. I have the EXACT same concerns. I just feel that as fans, we should support the coach until there is no more chance of success, which is the point where I think you and I got with Mac. At this point we have no idea on Freddy, so I will support him unwaveringly until I have a reason not to.

clonefarmer

Apr 16, 2006
It's been a long disappointing season so I understand that some people are still mighty agitated and skeptical. However, the skeptics need to vent for a day or so and then get behind Fred with all their support. Anyone who thinks that Fred hasn't been listening and learning and working toward this day for a long time just is mistaken. Some people are just born winners, they bring others up to their level. Johnny Orr was successful here because he was a name coach--he had instant credibility when he came. We need someone with name recognition again and someone who wants to be here. I may have some doubts too, but I'll never be on this forum in the future saying, " I told you he couldn't do it", and I hope no one else ever is either. We've had enough negativity on here. LET'S GO FRED!!!

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
It's been a long disappointing season so I understand that some people are still mighty agitated and skeptical. However, the skeptics need to vent for a day or so and then get behind Fred with all their support. Anyone who thinks that Fred hasn't been listening and learning and working toward this day for a long time just is mistaken. Some people are just born winners, they bring others up to their level. Johnny Orr was successful here because he was a name coach--he had instant credibility when he came. We need someone with name recognition again and someone who wants to be here. I may have some doubts too, but I'll never be on this forum in the future saying, " I told you he couldn't do it", and I hope no one else ever is either. We've had enough negativity on here. LET'S GO FRED!!!

Who under the age of 19 and/or not living in Iowa, even knows who he is?

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Who'd have ever thought that we'd see Hoiberg and Grayer on the sidelines again in Hilton? Did anyone else just get chills?

Too excited to start thinking if this a good hire right now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron