Tailgating - RV Lot Newbie

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Good news! I was able to get into the RV lot, and chose D2 cause it was the only one available other than D1. Can someone explain to me how it all works? I had to choose a spot, kind of like a seat, in the lot and it was in one of the middle aisles. Well my camper is 30'+ in length not including my truck, so how much space do they allow? Also, I would be willing to do some trading with people to get 2 more spots to at least 1 game. We typically park up in Vet Med, but wanted to check the RV lots out this year.

TIA for your help.

CYTruck

Jan 3, 2010
The lots open at 8 am the day before the game.... Most are in line by 6 or 7 am...
at 8 they take the gates down.. and you pull in and grab any available space of your choice.
I believe the limit is 45 ft (not counting the tow vehicle) maybe 40 ft. Typically people pick the spot they like at the first game or 2 .. and people respect that and leave them for the ones that historically park in specific spots... many of us park in the same spots from game to game. As they have become more popular, they will ask you to park tight against the neighboring RV. Be kind to your neighbors and don't run LOUD generators.. and don't put them away from you pointing the sound to others.... historically if you park up front.. those coming late will pull thru.. and you may have to take some things down or move them to allow others to pass thru... its a great environment.. great people.... just try to get in early so that you don't cause others to tear down when they are full of guests and right before the game.
Enjoy.....

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk and VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The lots open at 8 am the day before the game.... Most are in line by 6 or 7 am...
at 8 they take the gates down.. and you pull in and grab any available space of your choice.
I believe the limit is 45 ft (not counting the tow vehicle) maybe 40 ft. Typically people pick the spot they like at the first game or 2 .. and people respect that and leave them for the ones that historically park in specific spots... many of us park in the same spots from game to game. As they have become more popular, they will ask you to park tight against the neighboring RV. Be kind to your neighbors and don't run LOUD generators.. and don't put them away from you pointing the sound to others.... historically if you park up front.. those coming late will pull thru.. and you may have to take some things down or move them to allow others to pass thru... its a great environment.. great people.... just try to get in early so that you don't cause others to tear down when they are full of guests and right before the game.
Enjoy.....
I would add to treat your music in much the same way as the generator note above. Your music is for your tailgate. Nobody expects it to be quiet, but at the same time your neighbors and others in your aisle might want to enjoy their own music or be able to carry on a conversation without having to shout all day.

Be respectful of others and you shouldn't have an issue.

Reactions: wxman1

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I’m jealous of everybody that gets to camp in the RV lots from Friday until Sunday on game weekends.

Have you ever checked out Vet Med? You can pull in Friday night after 5pm when the campus closes and don't have to be out until sometime on Sunday. I have been doing that for many years and it has been great. I am just looking to see what the RV lots are all about.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The spot you selected has nothing to do with where you park. There are several long time tailgaters who park in the same spot every year so they can combine their tailgates. You need to be considerate of this. There are lots of spaces and hopefully you’ll meet some people you want to keep parking with. I concur with the comments about loud generators and music. No one expects the music to be soft, but be considerate of your neighbors. There is one group in D2 that always brings a PA system and is way too loud for everybody around them. Don’t be this group. People with louder generators typically try to park at the north or south edge so that they can place the generator down in the ditch which muffles the sound. If you can’t do this be prepared to power down at night. Walk around, meet people. You’ll find D2 is a community who enjoy each other.

Reactions: VeloClone

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Is there still talk of the RV lots being moved? I am curious the time frame on that and am to lazy to search it.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Have you ever checked out Vet Med? You can pull in Friday night after 5pm when the campus closes and don't have to be out until sometime on Sunday. I have been doing that for many years and it has been great. I am just looking to see what the RV lots are all about.
I don’t have an RV and only make it back for 1-2 games each year, but I usually stop by the RV lots and visit some friends when I make my rounds tailgating. Just love looking at some of the setups in there. ISU tailgaters are no joke.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I don’t have an RV and only make it back for 1-2 games each year, but I usually stop by the RV lots and visit some friends when I make my rounds tailgating. Just love looking at some of the setups in there. ISU tailgaters are no joke.

Yeah I agree with setups. We have 2 campers and a bus, with 2 TV's running off a satellite hooked to Directv. It seems to get more and more elaborate every year.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The spot you selected has nothing to do with where you park. There are several long time tailgaters who park in the same spot every year so they can combine their tailgates. You need to be considerate of this. There are lots of spaces and hopefully you’ll meet some people you want to keep parking with. I concur with the comments about loud generators and music. No one expects the music to be soft, but be considerate of your neighbors. There is one group in D2 that always brings a PA system and is way too loud for everybody around them. Don’t be this group. People with louder generators typically try to park at the north or south edge so that they can place the generator down in the ditch which muffles the sound. If you can’t do this be prepared to power down at night. Walk around, meet people. You’ll find D2 is a community who enjoy each other.

wait, I park in D2 and bring a PA system..... I'm that guy now.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
wait, I park in D2 and bring a PA system..... I'm that guy now.

giphy.gif

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Good news! I was able to get into the RV lot, and chose D2 cause it was the only one available other than D1. Can someone explain to me how it all works? I had to choose a spot, kind of like a seat, in the lot and it was in one of the middle aisles. Well my camper is 30'+ in length not including my truck, so how much space do they allow? Also, I would be willing to do some trading with people to get 2 more spots to at least 1 game. We typically park up in Vet Med, but wanted to check the RV lots out this year.

TIA for your help.

My advice...

Don't take our spot!

People in the RV lots are ruthless about getting their regular spots.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Enjoy.....

I would add that the lines form in the C-lots adjacent to the D-lots. So, the line for D-2 is along the south edge of C-4 and then turns along the east edge of C-4.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I would add to treat your music in much the same way as the generator note above. Your music is for your tailgate. Nobody expects it to be quiet, but at the same time your neighbors and others in your aisle might want to enjoy their own music or be able to carry on a conversation without having to shout all day.

Be respectful of others and you shouldn't have an issue.

There is a group in D-2 that we are going to be talking to this year. They point their speakers away from their tailgate and just blast them. And their choice in music is pretty high on the redneck scale. We are two rows away and still find it quite annoying. We have the equipment to over-blast them, but then we would be "that guy."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Is there still talk of the RV lots being moved? I am curious the time frame on that and am to lazy to search it.

The idea of moving them to an RV park east of the stadium had huge obstacles (electricity in a flood plain, acquiring land from intramurals). Last time I talked to someone in the AD about it, they said that is no current plan to move the RV lots.

Help Support Us

Become a patron