2018 Pre-Season ESPN FPI Ratings

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I saw this come out earlier.. .what I found interesting was the steep drop off from the 45th team to the 46th team....

40 Baylor 6.8
41 Iowa State 6.7
42 Arizona 6.6
43 North Carolina State 6.4
44 Kansas State 6.3
45 Ole Miss 6.2

46 Memphis 4.9

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Wonder how they calculated the "starters on offense and defense" for ISU.

With situational packages and injuries I think ISU returns several "starters", but some guys that may have only started a few games based on that.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Just to remind everybody what FPI accounts for...

• Team performance over the past four seasons (most emphasis on last season)

• Returning starters at quarterback, on offense overall and on defense

• Whether a team has a returning head coach

• Recruiting rankings over the past four seasons

Regarding these metrics, I think it would be fair to say...

-- we are probably being slightly docked for the last two years of Rhoads and the first year of Campbell, not recognizing the obvious trend upwards from last year

-- not sure if they knew that Kyle Kempt was returning when they did this

-- kept the head coach... whew

-- it should start feeling the weight of Campbell and his crew's improved recruiting by now, though, given most of the Rhoads' classes have graduated out by now

For these reasons, I would imagine a predictive metric like this underrates us on those criteria.

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Agreed, they put baylor with one win ahead of isu with 8 wins including a win over baylor.
Seems odd at first glance but when you look at the factors that go into the ranking it's less surprising.

They have a better performance the past four seasons total.

Better recruiting ranking.

Coach returns.

More returning starters.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
41's not bad. I'm hoping for 6 wins next season, more would be great.

What was it last year, and what is ISU typically?

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
41's not bad. I'm hoping for 6 wins next season, more would be great.

What was it last year, and what is ISU typically?

I think 6 wins would be a major, major disappointment next year given who's returning and the fact that Big 12 should be down.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think 6 wins would be a major, major disappointment next year given who's returning and the fact that Big 12 should be down.

Maybe, but 1 season of success doesn't always mean things are going to automatically be better. Team chemistry and leadership looked to be at a very high level last year, and the team overachieved, which was fun.

6 would be disappointing if there's some real bad losses mixed in.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
Maybe, but 1 season of success doesn't always mean things are going to automatically be better. Team chemistry and leadership looked to be at a very high level last year, and the team overachieved, which was fun.

6 would be disappointing if there's some real bad losses mixed in.
They may of overachieved in a few games but they also let several games go that could of been wins

• Agree
Reactions: Ryan4069

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They may of overachieved in a few games but they also let several games go that could of been wins

Yep. Could have flipped several which is great.

Just hoping people don't go full Hokdom around here because the foundation is still being built. Certainly off to a good start.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Yep. Could have flipped several which is great.

Just hoping people don't go full Hokdom around here because the foundation is still being built. Certainly off to a good start.
Honestly, I’d still be happy with 7 or 8 wins and a bowl. I’m trying really hard not to let my expectations get out of hand. I know we’re not in the same tier, but being an Alabama fan and miserable at 11-2 with no national championship seems like a miserable fan experience.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Just to remind everybody what FPI accounts for...

• Team performance over the past four seasons (most emphasis on last season)

• Returning starters at quarterback, on offense overall and on defense

• Whether a team has a returning head coach

• Recruiting rankings over the past four seasons

Regarding these metrics, I think it would be fair to say...

-- we are probably being slightly docked for the last two years of Rhoads and the first year of Campbell, not recognizing the obvious trend upwards from last year

-- not sure if they knew that Kyle Kempt was returning when they did this

-- kept the head coach... whew

-- it should start feeling the weight of Campbell and his crew's improved recruiting by now, though, given most of the Rhoads' classes have graduated out by now

For these reasons, I would imagine a predictive metric like this underrates us on those criteria.

Lots of Rhoads players left on our roster yet. Campbell recruits definitely better. But Peavey, Butler, Good-Jones, Meeker, Ruth, Croney, Warren, etc. still have an impact.