Chris Street #40

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Twenty five years ago today, Chris an Iowa Hawkeye basketball play, was instantly killed in an accident while leaving a team dinner.

Through the years, there has been many newspaper articles about Chris and there is a recently published book.

I won't repeat those articles but want to tell you about my son meeting Chris.

When my son was 3 or 4, he went to a high school volleyball game with two high school girls that babysat for him and he was wearing Iowa State.

When he got home, he told me that this guy kept telling him he had the wrong shirt on and that he needed new shirts. He wasn't understanding what this guy was talking about so I asked him a few questions. I learned that the guy was "really really tall" and played basketball. The girls confirmed that it was Chris and that he had been trying to convert him to the Hawkeyes.

My son also has a few toy tractors with him and he and Chris played farm that night. They also disagreed about red vs green

Last edited:

imaclone2

Jun 7, 2008
Who were the ISU players that wore #40 in honor of Chris. Have we stopped doing that?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I was at ISU at the time and remember it well. I knew several people that went to high school with Chris and they had nothing but good things to say about him.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
Just out of curiosity, does Iowa State still reserve the #40 on their men's basketball team for an Iowa native that's on their roster? I loved that they did this in honor of him. Hoiberg, Meyer and Wheat I believe all wore 40 at some point during their Cyclones career.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
These 2 clips are of the final few minutes of regulation and OT in East Lansing to beat MSU in the first game played by Iowa after Street died. Iowa came back from 15 or so down with about 3 minutes left to force OT and then won it in OT.

Reactions: heitclone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I was 9, but remember waking up the morning after and finding out it happened like it was yesterday.

Reactions: heitclone

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
These 2 clips are of the final few minutes of regulation and OT in East Lansing to beat MSU in the first game played by Iowa after Street died. Iowa came back from 15 or so down with about 3 minutes left to force OT and then won it in OT.

Many felt “there was a sixth player” on the court that night

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He was a player that you hated as an Iowa State fan because he was so good, and so intense. You love a guy like that when he's on your team. Finding out that he had been killed in an accident was a where were you when moment in my life. It just shocked me. One hell of a player, and living in Indianola, his legacy is right there with all the good that is done for kids down here in his memory.

Reactions: Sparkplug

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron