Chris Street #40

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
First learned of Chris Street when I would go down to relatives houses in Humeston. Didn't really know much, but learned quickly how much he meant to that community and obviously beyond.

Terrible loss, and great to see how much his memory lives on to this day.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
They could definitely use several Chris Street's on this year's squad. They all look disinterested out there. Chris Street NEVER looked disinterested. He'd be diving after loose balls no matter what the score.

Yes really honoring his play in a good way today. You would think a bunch of kids raised to be Iowa fans would play a bit better.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
DUASsrWVMAEeY-D.jpg

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I am a lifelong Indianola resident. I was 5 when he died, and I remember my parents telling me about it. I don't think they intended for me to know, but I picked up that something had happened. As I thought about it the other day, I think them telling me about his death is one of my first vivid childhood memories.

Having grown up in and still living in Indianola, Chris's legacy is kind of an interesting one. I grew up playing in the Street Gym, with the mural and the memorabilia being on full display. There's also a park in town in his honor. However, as I think about it, very few people in Indianola talk about Chris. I've had teachers who I'm sure taught him, coaches who I'm sure coached him, etc., and I don't think I can recall a single circumstance where someone talked about him. The only conclusion I can come to is all these years later it is still just too hard for people to talk about it.