MONDAY MUSINGS: What a weekend

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I am willing to bet that CW was the only one awake (other than the flight crew) on the plane back this morning.
This flight crew member:
tumblr_my6qbtYL7U1suxd87o1_500.gif

• Informative
Reactions: fattgregg

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Some good observations.

I also thought previous coaches wouldn't have sealed it vs. BU, if the game flow were similar. Mac and Rhoads each might have orchestrated a win vs. that opponent, but would either have closed the deal in the real-game circumstance?

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You're dead on about the football team. Just as impressive as the OU and TCU games were, I'm equally impressed by the Akron, TTU and Baylor games. Winning games you should win has not come easy for us in the past. Taking care of business in those games is almost as impressive.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Talking football culture... Would this team be at 7-3 with Park as QB? Would this team be as "together" with Park at the helm?

Not tearing the young man down, but it's a legit question. We all know Park's talents. Just opening it up to the forum to see if he's still the front-man for this show.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Agree 100% on Lard. His potential is through the roof. Once he develops some consistent post moves look out!

That little 12-15 foot pull up elevated jumper that Wigginton shoots on a regular basis...he will eventually perfect that and shoot it at a 80% clip in lieu of 50% and he will be impossible to stop.

Sincerely hope Lewis earns some minutes soon and has a breakthrough performance. Kid is a Matt Thomas/Naz Long level spot up shooter IMO. Just needs to get some confidence rolling.

Future is so bright pretty jacked up right now!

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Some good observations.

I also thought previous coaches wouldn't have sealed it vs. BU, if the game flow were similar. Mac and Rhoads each might have orchestrated a win vs. that opponent, but would either have closed the deal in the real-game circumstance?

Mac might have. Rhoads? No way, at least not in the last few years. He started coaching not to lose and his teams didn't have the mindset to overcome adversity.

I was thinking the other day about how many other programs around the country would have turned into an absolute **** show if they had gone through four quarterbacks this season. This staff is doing an incredible job all the way around, but their week-to-week management of what amounts to a revolving door at the most important position on the field has been maybe their best job.

As for basketball, I'm definitely not ready to pencil them in for a tournament spot in March but I'm extremely encouraged by the progress they made over the course of the weekend. Prohm is doing a nice job adjusting on the fly and committing to what works. Minutes are going to be up and down for several players until the rotation sorts itself out. Those guys will have a tough job of being prepared when their opportunities come. Most basketball players crave a set role and struggle when they play twenty mintues one night and five the next. It'll be interesting to see how they respond.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Talking football culture... Would this team be at 7-3 with Park as QB? Would this team be as "together" with Park at the helm?

Not tearing the young man down, but it's a legit question. We all know Park's talents. Just opening it up to the forum to see if he's still the front-man for this show.
I guarantee that the team's record would not be 7-3 right now with Park as QB.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Agree 100% on Lard. His potential is through the roof. Once he develops some consistent post moves look out!

That little 12-15 foot pull up elevated jumper that Wigginton shoots on a regular basis...he will eventually perfect that and shoot it at a 80% clip in lieu of 50% and he will be impossible to stop.

Sincerely hope Lewis earns some minutes soon and has a breakthrough performance. Kid is a Matt Thomas/Naz Long level spot up shooter IMO. Just needs to get some confidence rolling.

Future is so bright pretty jacked up right now!
It'd be nice if he had a breakthrough. However, it's not going to dampen my spirit much about him if he isn't great this year. Neither Naz nor Matt were particularly good their Freshman year and an awful lot of people thought Matt would be a bust. That being said, I do think Lewis will be a great player by the end of his career.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It'd be nice if he had a breakthrough. However, it's not going to dampen my spirit much about him if he isn't great this year. Neither Naz nor Matt were particularly good their Freshman year and an awful lot of people thought Matt would be a bust. That being said, I do think Lewis will be a great player by the end of his career.
Much of the Thomas being a bust postings were in the context of the expectations for Thomas based on his recruiting rankings. He clearly wasn’t a bust in the general sense, but for those that take recruiting rankings too seriously he was never the impact player many declared he would be back in 2012-13.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Much of the Thomas being a bust postings were in the context of the expectations for Thomas based on his recruiting rankings. He clearly wasn’t a bust in the general sense, but for those that take recruiting rankings too seriously he was never the impact player many declared he would be back in 2012-13.

Did you not watch the last two years of Iowa State basketball or something?