SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
deb-06.gif

Reactions: CyTwins

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Nationally, I'd imagine coaching in Texas is viewed as a better job. Don't disagree with their list though. I just know I like were our program should be headed compared to theirs, at this moment.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
So saw this posted to the Viva the Matadors SB Nation Page. Thought it was interesting how they see their job (Texas Tech) and ISU job.

View attachment 48940

View attachment 48941

This writer I would say hasn't been playing attention to anything outside of Texas. I know the site is mostly satire, but come on, do some research.

https://www.vivathematadors.com/201...s-in-the-big-12-texas-tech-tcu-oklahoma-texas

This is obviously satire / clickbait. How else could KU be rated as a better place to coach? The writer called ISU a basketball school, but no mention of KU being a basketball school?

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Meh, sounds like the guy didn’t even put much effort into his reasoning for ISU, just came across as lazy. Overall, I can’t argue too much with the rankings, but this is how I would rank them as of today:

1. UT -$$$, great location, biggest fan/alumni base

2. OU – a little less $$$ and slightly less desirable location with better results

3. OSU – Boone Pickens $$$, decent tradition and location, in OU’s shadow

4. TCU – Prime location for recruits, but smaller fan/donor base

5. WVU – Great fans, decent tradition but way out East

6. Tech – Isolated in West Texas, decent tradition, weird fans

7. K-State – Bill Snyder can win there, but can anyone else?

8. ISU – Great fans, good facilities, but until we win consistently people won’t care

9. KU – Basketball school that is just now starting to put some money into football

10. Baylor – Dumpster fire

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Having been an ag recruiter for 15 years I can assure you that very few people want to move to the TX panhandle unless they are from there.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This is obviously satire / clickbait. How else could KU be rated as a better place to coach? The writer called ISU a basketball school, but no mention of KU being a basketball school?

He obviously watched the game in Lawrence earlier this year

Reactions: abcguyks

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
The funniest thing about this list is that the writer knocks living in Norman, Stillwater, Morgantown, Ames and to some extent Lawrence. Yet, Lubbock is hands down the worst place to live in the Big 12. I drove through that area once on the way to Arizona and what a God-awful place it is. And that is saying something given that Waco is also in the Big 12.

I lived in Chicago for 8 years and New York for 7 before moving to Des Moines 10 years ago. One of the things that people way underestimate is Des Moines and that fact that it's a short drive from Ames. If you've lived in a major metro you would call Ames a suburb of Des Moines. I have friends who come in from all over the country and they are all blown away by Des Moines and what they see happening downtown. This is why KF has brought the Hawks over for a spring practice the last 2-3 years. He doesn't want to concede the Des Moines market to Iowa State because this is where it is happening in the state of Iowa for the rest of time. Not Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Waterloo, Dubuque or anywhere else in eastern Iowa.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It's a site that's going to have a ton of bias towards Texas Tech anyway

And I personally think Iowa State is probably the 8-9 best job in the conference anyway. While I disagree with the "Ames" reasoning, we have probably the worst history in P5 football and don't pay our coaches.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The funniest thing about this list is that the writer knocks living in Norman, Stillwater, Morgantown, Ames and to some extent Lawrence. Yet, Lubbock is hands down the worst place to live in the Big 12. I drove through that area once on the way to Arizona and what a God-awful place it is. And that is saying something given that Waco is also in the Big 12.

I lived in Chicago for 8 years and New York for 7 before moving to Des Moines 10 years ago. One of the things that people way underestimate is Des Moines and that fact that it's a short drive from Ames. If you've lived in a major metro you would call Ames a suburb of Des Moines. I have friends who come in from all over the country and they are all blown away by Des Moines and what they see happening downtown. This is why KF has brought the Hawks over for a spring practice the last 2-3 years. He doesn't want to concede the Des Moines market to Iowa State because this is where it is happening in the state of Iowa for the rest of time. Not Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Waterloo, Dubuque or anywhere else in eastern Iowa.

True dat about Des Moines. Construction is going crazy there right now. Big companies like Google, Microsoft, Facebook investing in the infrastructure. Huge banking and insurance capital. 80 -35 crossing. Des Moines won't be little for long.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
While I agree that history has not been kind to our program, and the all time W/L% proves that, take a look at some of the P5 teams that are still below us in that category (K-State, Indiana, Northwestern, WF) and Kansas is only a few ticks higher. What I find fascinating is that even with the Wizard in Manhattan, K- State still does not have the historical series advantage against us (they are pretty close though) and historically were a bottom 5 division 1 program prior to his arrival. What has held us back has been a multitude of issues, problems, etc. In just my lifetime I look at all the excuses that we used in the past (administration, money, recruits, facilities, fan base, conference realignment, coaching - TBD) that in my opinion, no longer exist, All we need is to pull it all together, and if we can have that sustained success (by our standards), we can get some separation and move up in the pecking order.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport

Des Moines IA = best kept secret