Tim Floyd to Memphis?

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Tim Floyd is said to be high on the list at Memphis to replace Calipari. If the money is right I think he would leave USC. Memphis was willing to match Kentucky's offer so there must be some money down there. Supposedly, Floyd only makes 850.000 a year at USC right now.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Tim Floyd needs to just sit his *** down and stick with a team.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Tim Floyd is said to be high on the list at Memphis to replace Calipari. If the money is right I think he would leave USC. Memphis was willing to match Kentucky's offer so there must be some money down there. Supposedly, Floyd only makes 850.000 a year at USC right now.

I would not put a lot of staock in that. Tim and bev are very, very happy in So Cal. I am not sure there is enough of a pull to Memphis. He can build one heck of a program at 'SC and the recruiting is easier.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
USC > Memphis

I don't really care either way, but I think one could make a strong arguement against that. (Based on recent history of winning, at least). Plus, USC has to compete with UCLA across town. Memphis does have Tennessee & Vandy, but neither of those teams are UCLA.

Now if you're talking about actual location, you couldn't be more right. (weather, hotties, etc, etc.)

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
USC > Memphis

You must be kidding - just check the home attendance averages between the two schools. Floyd has a huge ego, and I think he's tired of walking out to home games with an arena that's only half or two-thirds full. Memphis, on the other hand, has a huge following.
This would be a no-brainer...

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Memphis will have trouble landing a high profile coach from a BCS conference like Floyd, imo. The only reason they got Calipari is because he was damaged goods at the time and coming off an epic failure in the NBA.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
USC > Memphis

You're kidding right? Floyd would be a perfect fit at Memphis. As a southern boy with ties all over the region, in a basketball town. USC doesn't care about basketball, as it is they play 4th fiddle for basketball in their own town behind the Lakers, UCLA, and Clippers. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him leave, plus with big cotton and FedEx,you know they have the money to pay...

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Is Memphis a big enough city for Mrs. Floyd? I thought I heard that she was not very fond of small cities/towns and would prefer to be in a major metro area. Memphis isn't tiny obviously, but it ain't LA.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
You're kidding right? Floyd would be a perfect fit at Memphis. As a southern boy with ties all over the region, in a basketball town. USC doesn't care about basketball, as it is they play 4th fiddle for basketball in their own town behind the Lakers, UCLA, and Clippers. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him leave, plus with big cotton and FedEx,you know they have the money to pay...

I wouldn't be surprised at all either if he left but I think he is pretty comfortable at USC.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Is Memphis a big enough city for Mrs. Floyd? I thought I heard that she was not very fond of small cities/towns and would prefer to be in a major metro area. Memphis isn't tiny obviously, but it ain't LA.

I know one small mid-western town she is very, very fond of. She still visits this town pretty often to see old friends and enjoy some familiar places.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Some of you are acting like Memphis is a premier coaching gig. End of the day, we're still talking about conference USA. It's like Gonzaga - where would they be without Mark Few?

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
One interesting aspect of Tim @ Memphis, he and Larry would end up coaching against each other - we would finally know who was the better coach. Of course, Memphis starts with a huge head start talent and tradition wise but that would be a pretty interesting game.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
One interesting aspect of Tim @ Memphis, he and Larry would end up coaching against each other - we would finally know who was the better coach. Of course, Memphis starts with a huge head start talent and tradition wise but that would be a pretty interesting game.

I would much rather see Larry in the Pac10 than Tim in C-USA.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Some of you are acting like Memphis is a premier coaching gig. End of the day, we're still talking about conference USA. It's like Gonzaga - where would they be without Mark Few?

Probably still about as good. From what I've heard a lot of the players don't care for Few, they came there to win. Plus Few didn't make them into a powerhouse, he maintained what Munson and the people before hims seemed to get going.

khess83

Jan 7, 2009
Beaverdale-Des Moines, IA
I think this would be a major step down for Floyd. Yes, Memphis is on top of CUSA right now. But a few years ago that was Cinncinati, and now look at that program. They left CUSA and now are just another team in the Big East, granted the best conference in college basketball. Now there is talk of how Memphis belongs in a major conference, ie SEC or Big 12 South.

My point is small conferences are dominated by teams for a period and then they either jump ship to a larger conference or they fall off and some other team steps up to be the dominate force. Either way their time in the spot light is limited. USC will always be in the spot light imo.

Help Support Us

Become a patron