Engineers

mauiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Does anyone else work with any engineers/nerds. I get the biggest kick out of these folks when they talk about basketball. They think they are experts and most of them can barely chew gum and walk at the same time. I feel sorry for anyone that has to live with these folks. They crack me up man. When it comes to sports they are clueness. They need to stick to their calculators and straight edges.

Reactions: rahtotheames

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Does anyone else work with any engineers/nerds. I get the biggest kick out of these folks when they talk about basketball. They think they are experts and most of them can barely chew gum and walk at the same time. I feel sorry for anyone that has to live with these folks. They crack me up man. When it comes to sports they are clueness. They need to stick to their calculators and straight edges.

I know!! It's almost like when people ask who Mike Taylor is!

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com

You could never be so wrong. I've worked engineering jobs, and I have a silver medal from the Drake Relays. Plus, I played basketball for 4 years in highschool, earning a major D. I think there are exceptions to everything, but don't lump us all into one category.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Yep, every day at work. Some of them know sports well, some not at all. Just like anybody else I guess. Most I work with our pretty hardcore sports fans.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

First, I'd like to know what your degree is in?

Second, the way you talk you must think almost 95 % of the people on this board are engineers.

Third, how can you be so stereotypical when maybe a few engineers you work with don't know squat about basketball. I might just start a thread about a few accountants I know that don't know squat about football...big f'in deal. There is nothing that says to be an engineer you have to know ISU basketball or basketball in general.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I know and work with some pretty nerdy engineers. Some that think they know everything about everything- they like to tell me too. Yes, some can't walk and chew gum.

I also know some engineers who are quite socially savy. Some who are incredible athletes. Some DO know everything about everything, but don't feel the need to tell me that or talk over me.

I want to kill some... others are my best friends.

Now replace "engineers" with any other occupation or grouping of people, and the statement will also be true.

Last edited:
Reactions: MidwestZest

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
i know a guy who is going into engineering, he's a great athlete and very smart, yet somehow doesnt know a single sports statistic in history (im helping him though)

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I work with a lot of engineers at John Deere, why does it take an engineer 6 months to get something done when I can do it in 10 minutes? Is it because they are thinkers and not doers?

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I know a person who is about to graduate this spring from ISU and doesn't know how to do anything in Microsoft Excel...should I downgrade them as a person? NO

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
One of my roommates is majoring in ag engineering. Even though he does homework all the time, he still knows his sports and is a great guy. I don't think your job or major decides whether you know sports or not.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I work with a lot of engineers at John Deere, why does it take an engineer 6 months to get something done when I can do it in 10 minutes? Is it because they are thinkers and not doers?

I know for me, it's because I'm not allowed to be a doer. All I can do is request that the work be done. A good 5 months on your scale is generally wasted trying to turn that request into actual work, at least in my experience. My hands are usually tied. I would guess it's even worse at JD.

Not arguing, just explaining.

NIowaClone

Sep 1, 2006
Dallas, Texas

Wow, not one of my favorite threads here on CF.

DavClone

Apr 12, 2006
30 minutes from Hilton
That's a pretty broad based statement that could be applied to every degree out there. I am sure there are plenty of engineers out there that can walk, chew gum, and know more about sports then you.

But that being said, I had a roommate that was an engineer and he thought a homerun only had to hit the fence, not go over it. That is un-American.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA

And while I'm at it, thanks for lumping all of us in with the one engineer you've met. I'll bet you hate those crazy indians and their firewater too, huh?

Reactions: balken

Help Support Us

Become a patron