Would you turn it in?

If you found $1M in cash on the road, would you turn it in?

• Yes, it's the right thing to do.

• No, finder's keepers!

Results are only viewable after voting.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Clearly marked bags - turn it in
Found near my house - turn it in
Indescriptive bag in some remote area - transfer it to a different bag, verify that there are no tracking devices, hang onto it for awhile and check news feeds to see if it's reported.

Also, I think some of you underestimate how easy it would be to spend $1 million in cash without being noticed. You could go another country on vacation and have a pretty fun time as long as you don't buy stuff that you return home with. Things like excursions, drinks, tickets to events, etc are all pretty untraceable.
You have to report over $10k in cash, so either you’re taking a ton of vacations or risking it getting confiscated and then trying to explain it.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
To the people who think finding abandoned property is stealing even though there are laws regarding it, I have one question. How tall is your horse because that thing must be mighty high.
No different than finding a wallet full of cash on the ground and thinking it’s yours to keep. You don’t just lose ownership of something because you dropped it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
An article written about found money for anyone who is interested, along with some interesting survey results. Who would have guessed people from Jacksonville would be the most likely to turn found money in to the police?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Do people know that a lot of times when money is moved, they will take down a group of serial numbers on bills so if something happens they will trace where and when those show up?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You could set up a small business out of your home, use that as a way to funnel money into your bank. Mowing yards or something like that, put out some advertisement, and then start making weekly deposits of say $500 to $1500 in cash to a couple of different banks in your area. Purchase all cloths, groceries, nights out, utilities with cash. You are in no hurry, if it takes you five or ten years to get most of it in the bank, big deal.
Involving any banks, let alone multiple banks with structured deposits sounds like the absolute worst idea.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
To the people who think finding abandoned property is stealing even though there are laws regarding it, I have one question. How tall is your horse because that thing must be mighty high.
So you consider people who wouldn't just take a bag full of millions of dollars uppity? Would you consider someone who walks by a sports car with the keys in the ignition and decides not to steal it uppity as well? Legally taking either one is the same thing.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
If you find a $100 bill on the ground and no one is around, sure. You find duffle bags with a million dollars, there will probably be someone looking for it, either good or bad. So you'd be sitting there with all that money worrying about being found.

Additionally, it would be hard to hide a million dollars for nearly everyone outside of Warren Buffet or Bill Gates, etc.
I've found money outside a restaurant that I was about to eat at. I picked it up, went inside and told the waitress I found some money and if anyone in the restaurant could tell me how much it was, they could have it. No one did, so I kept it, having no way to find the owner. I'm just too honest to keep something like that.

The million dollars, I would be tempted to keep it, but in the end, I would turn it over to police. My understanding is if no one claims it within a certain number of days, they give it back to you.

Reactions: NWICY and wenkeej

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Now this seems like the best advice so far, use unwitting minors because they can’t do serious time. If they get stopped at customs you just leave them and start making a new one.
Exactly. And, if it's in $100 bills it's only 22lbs. She can lug that around without too much trouble. Her school backpack has to be close to that. I've pretty much thought of everything.

• Optimistic
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I opened a check in the mail for $290,000 a couple years ago. The guy who used to own my very modest home apparently owned property all over southern California, tons of apartment buildings. His sole heir seemed to not even care about sale of the home or getting any of what to me seems like massively important mail. For years I tried to get it forwarded somewhere, then I gave up and started just recycling it. The 290K was just the one time I happen to accidentally open a letter to him, who knows what else I've been sent or what else I've shredded up in recycling.

I was at the local hospital the other day and saw his name on new children's hospital facilities. I'm sure the guy could have lived in some kind of massive estate if he wanted to.

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
If you took the cash and stashed it in your home, what’s the repercussions? Wait it out a year and see if there’s any activity around it.

To me, the biggest issue is how to spend it without the IRS getting interested. You’ll need to start some sort of service business to launder it slowly.

But it isn’t keeping the money that gets you in trouble, it’s spending it.
Plenty of ways for this to go wrong, and you want to be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life?

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
No different than finding a wallet full of cash on the ground and thinking it’s yours to keep. You don’t just lose ownership of something because you dropped it.
This happened to me. I was wearing shorts, missed my pocket, wallet fell on the ground at the register, someone picked it up and left. We watched the security camera after. I didn't lose much. Because of this dude at Kum & Go, if I find a million on the side of the road with no one around, I'm keeping it.:)

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
I recently found a wallet in a booth at a McDonald's outside of Las Vegas. It was fat with bills but I didn't open it. I took it to the counter and made sure that several people saw it and heard me tell them I found it then handed it over to them. I just wouldn't feel right walking out with it.

Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Not fair. If I am uncomfortable with the situation that's MY choice. I'm not shaming anyone for deciding differently.

• Winner

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Plenty of ways for this to go wrong, and you want to be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life?

There are plenty of ways this can go right as well. I think it is different whether this is from a bank vs from an individual. At lest a different list of pitfalls to work through.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
There are plenty of ways this can go right as well. I think it is different whether this is from a bank vs from an individual. At lest a different list of pitfalls to work through.
Eh, I’ve got a nice career and family, no need to risk that.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
My wife lost a wallet this past fall at one of the ISU football games. Very grateful to the responsible fan or student that turned it into lost and found.

I too would turn it in.

Reactions: NWICY

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Do people know that a lot of times when money is moved, they will take down a group of serial numbers on bills so if something happens they will trace where and when those show up?

I absolutely believe that, but how is that done? Does any/all money that goes into/out of a bank get scanned for any outstanding searches? That seems unlikely, but about the only feasible tracing method I could see being real. And if that's the case, they would have to contact the person who deposited the bill - then that person would have to identify when/where/who they got the bill from, etc.

Most stores delete any security footage after a certain timeframe, so if it was used at a business their tracing would have to be pretty efficient. If you use it for personal transactions/tips/etc, there'd be even less chance of tracking down who spent it. This seems like more of a movie problem than real life (assuming people are smart enough to just not deposit it into a bank account).