Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
It is really simple. College basketball is a guard orientedbgame. You absolutely need good guards to be successful. TOE has two poor scholarship guards right now.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The Dix to Creighton rumors don't make a lot of sense to me. That guy isn't getting a lot of run at a program that annually has Final 4 aspirations. He improved a lot statistically down the stretch this season, but Creighton has the ability ($) to go out and get somebody better.

Sandfort(s) joining DeVries at WVU would be mildly annoying for us. No idea if the younger one is any good, but they'd both still be able to circle one game a year vs us at a minimum. If Kerr Kriisa is sticking around, they basically would become Hok East.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The Dix to Creighton rumors don't make a lot of sense to me. That guy isn't getting a lot of run at a program that annually has Final 4 aspirations. He improved a lot statistically down the stretch this season, but Creighton has the ability ($) to go out and get somebody better.

Sandfort(s) joining DeVries at WVU would be mildly annoying for us. No idea if the younger one is any good, but they'd both still be able to circle one game a year vs us at a minimum. If Kerr Kriisa is sticking around, they basically would become Hok East.
Creighton’s portal pull last year was Ashworth. Dix has some good upside and they will be replacing a lot so I’m guessing he would just be one part.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
WVU could be the Waukee HS team from Omaha's sophomore year: DeVries, Biliew & Sandfortx2.

That said, DeVries system is very Sandfort friendly as he likes the 3 pt shot.
What makes you think Omaha will transfer?

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I don’t know. Old Sandfort, Freeman, and Dix isn’t a bad nucleus to build around. That build would require Fran having success in the portal he hasn’t had before though. And they need bench pieces. Seems like I’m arguing your point now actually. Lol.
With you on this, though. If Fran did a complete 180 on the kind of player he targets in the portal and brought in a couple of guards that can get after it and even like a Demarion Watson-type player (not Watson though, just the player archetype) there could be something there.

But again, you'd need an entirely different approach out of Fran when the likelihood is we see another solid Valley big and then the assumption that Harding will just be good enough at PG.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I think the Dix to Creighton would be for the benefit of Dix more than Creighton. He needs to find a home that he can develop as a player. He’s not going to do that at Iowa, and to have him wait to transfer would only delay that growth. Honestly, he might be one that could look at Nebraska as an option. Fred has shown that he can develop guards and there won’t be pressure for him to be a high level P6 player year 1.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I think the Dix to Creighton would be for the benefit of Dix more than Creighton. He needs to find a home that he can develop as a player. He’s not going to do that at Iowa, and to have him wait to transfer would only delay that growth. Honestly, he might be one that could look at Nebraska as an option. Fred has shown that he can develop guards and there won’t be pressure for him to be a high level P6 player year 1.
Fran develops guys ok. Not going to say he's elite at it but they get better. Definitely offensively. Problem with Fran is strictly who he gets and then all things defensively. If Dix goes to Creighton I don't think he'll become any better post college prospect. He will win more games and make more money though. I think he'd probably be a 6th man type at Creighton though so will probably come at the sacrifice of some PT

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Fran develops guys ok. Not going to say he's elite at it but they get better. Definitely offensively. Problem with Fran is strictly who he gets and then all things defensively. If Dix goes to Creighton I don't think he'll become any better post college prospect. He will win more games and make more money though. I think he'd probably be a 6th man type at Creighton though so will probably come at the sacrifice of some PT
Not guards.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Not guards.
I think he does OK there. Two guys were talking about improved quite a bit. Perkins wasn't highly sought after now he will be. Dix had an OK freshman year but really came on. Only guy I can think of that Fran didn't utilize/develop properly was Toussaint.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I think he does OK there. Two guys were talking about improved quite a bit. Perkins wasn't highly sought after now he will be. Dix had an OK freshman year but really came on. Only guy I can think of that Fran didn't utilize/develop properly was Toussaint.
I kind of recall two 4-star guys Fran brought in that didn't exactly raise their profiles a whole lot in their time there.

What were their names again? Mc-something...