Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Us fans know that this game was pre-baked, essentially, but I can imagine that doesn't make those Mountaineer players feel any better tonight. ESPN didn't even bother to put a spotlight on WVU's All-American. It's almost like she wasn't there. Just pitiful, pitiful journalism, if you can call it that. I normally am a pretty big Holly Rowe fan (and I imagine this came from higher up), but that was so disappointing. It's like they wanted everyone watching - no matter if they were a casual fan or not - to cheer against West Virginia.

Holly’s assignment for the entire tournament is Clark…

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Also it’s really dumb to still be doing the first two rounds as home games. I get it 10 years ago where fan interest isn’t what it is now. But it’s silly to have NCAA tournament games in true road environments, and they’d have plenty of people at neutral sites.
It makes the tournament way too chalky. The women’s game has always struggled with parity but there seems to be more now than ever. Playing the first two rounds in home arenas is slowing down the growth of the game imo.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Free throws were 22 to 5 when WVU had to start fouling to stop the clock.

WVU was an agressive team but not much more physical than Iowa. Who knows if it's just typical home team or protecting the ratings bonanza. I know during the game against ISU I saw CC talk to refs and they changed a call which I have never seen before in any level of basketball that a player got to change a call.

Neither team was playing as well as ISU or Stanford, I don't think any impartial observer could honestly say Iowa played better, maybe that they played evenly.
Iowa State would have beat that Iowa team in Carver by double digits last night.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This morning on Kxno there's a lot of Jordan comparisons (but they're all about his pro career).
Comparing CC's demeanor to his, The Last Dance, etc. His hate of Isaiah Thomas, bossing around teammates, complaining to refs.
I guess I just think there can be a separation of college vs pro and lumping them together is weird and unnecessary.

I just don't know why we can't say "she's one of the greatest college players ever."
Agreed. She’s a phenomenal player but I actually worry that the WNBA will break her. She isn’t going to get the on court treatment she’s getting in college.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
What got me last night was two fouls called in critical moments that were very borderline calls, and then ESPN didn't show the replays.

One was a foul called on what looked like a clean block that gave Iowa two FTs to put them back up 5, and the other was a call on what was maybe a clean steal. Again, Iowa 2 free throws back to a two-score game.

Little things like that were the deciding factors, but we all know that ESPN isn't going to let Iowa lose in the round of 32, even though it would have been a tremendous story for women's basketball, not just Caitlin Clark.

Reactions: twincyties

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Free throws were 22 to 5 when WVU had to start fouling to stop the clock.

WVU was an agressive team but not much more physical than Iowa. Who knows if it's just typical home team or protecting the ratings bonanza. I know during the game against ISU I saw CC talk to refs and they changed a call which I have never seen before in any level of basketball that a player got to change a call.

Neither team was playing as well as ISU or Stanford, I don't think any impartial observer could honestly say Iowa played better, maybe that they played evenly.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
What got me last night was two fouls called in critical moments that were very borderline calls, and then ESPN didn't show the replays.

One was a foul called on what looked like a clean block that gave Iowa two FTs to put them back up 5, and the other was a call on what was maybe a clean steal. Again, Iowa 2 free throws back to a two-score game.

Little things like that were the deciding factors, but we all know that ESPN isn't going to let Iowa lose in the round of 32, even though it would have been a tremendous story for women's basketball, not just Caitlin Clark.
Early in the game, right before CC got called for a clear push off on a drive, at the other end on the inbounds CC shoves a WV player to the ground out of bounds on the baseline. It was obvious and horrible, and probably why they called the charge on the other end.

Of course the broadcast crew didn't mention it, or show the replay.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
In the last 3 years in the tourney at home, Iowa got upset by Creighton, barely got past Georgia and WVU. If those last 2 games were anywhere but CHA I don't think Iowa ever gets out of the round of 32.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I mean this sincerely I have no problem with her personally and I don’t begrudge the success she and Iowa have had, I really don’t care.

But if I hear again that the only reason people have a problem with her on court behavior is because she’s a female I’ll lose my mind. Find me one men’s player that behaves like her that people love. Just one, I’ll wait.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I mean this sincerely I have no problem with her personally and I don’t begrudge the success she and Iowa have had, I really don’t care.

But if I hear again that the only reason people have a problem with her on court behavior is because she’s a female I’ll lose my mind. Find me one men’s player that behaves like her that people love. Just one, I’ll wait.

Regardless of gender, people have problems with people being a-holes.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

There have been Hok men's players that weren't as bad but they do have a culture of whining at the refs and getting in opponents' space/face/elbowing etc. and it just got labeled as 'competitive' by their fans.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
That was an incredible game to watch how badly they willed Iowa to a win. Game was tied and the officials took over on that next possession for Iowa as if they hadnt already.

• Haha
Reactions: 7Got6 and Cy$

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It is totally ridiculous that ESPN had a Caitlin Clark highlight. When was the last time ESPN had a highlight of player who shot 8-22 from field and 5-14 from 3 pts? The two plays where Clark made shots and supposedly fouled, she wasn’t even touched.
They are broadcasting the tournament so you are going to get highlights of the bigger names in the tourney.