Iowa State Uniform Discussions

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd guess CMC will keep it vanilla and go with C/C/W. Although I do think W/C/C would look pretty good for something different.
We've done it.

Jones_DeshaunteULM19_5.jpg

Reactions: CYCLNST8 and CyPack

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I'm guessing we're not wearing cardinal helmets since they're wearing those in all the practice pics from down there.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The problem was the sky conditions, not the helmet.

From 2018:

GDIYQ6AOMY6YBH2MTVVPU24MD4.jpg

From 2019:

7f4760dbea634898bb76453cc33e7183.jpg

Meaning indoor or at night they look dark, in the daylight outdoors they look pink.

Obviously every chrome color will reflect lighter in the light vs in the dark, it is the nature of the chrome. But either this should have been thought of and adjusted it darker than usual, or they should never be used during the daylight.

I am also not sure the 2019 version was the same exact helmet as the 2018 version. I believe those may have been new in 2019 which the color could have been adjusted.

Still not our best look.

A sweet 80s Gold with the script Cyclones is one of our best looks. And I think a Chrome gold, (not metallic taupe, like BC etc), would look better than chrome cardinal. Hell I think a black chrome would be cool and unique, I just think the chrome cardinal is hard to make look good and match our flat cardinal unis.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
They had a white ISU helmet at the last Liberty Bowl and ISU wore chrome domes. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Lazard was awesome, turning the Tiger helmet upside down. If I didn't know this was Allen, I would have sworn that was Georges!

Reactions: abbasmax

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
We've done it.

This was such a good look especially matching the gloves, cleats, socks with the helmet. I always wonder why we go away from older combos that look good. Like the b/c/c finally came back this year and was well received and looked great.

Reactions: t-noah

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I like C/C/C and wish we'd use it more. It doesn't have to be our primary look, but I don't understand the hate. Our cardinal is a great color, and with C/C/C, it overpowers the ugly yellow. I also think our cardinal helmet/logo combo is underrated.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'd guess CMC will keep it vanilla and go with C/C/W. Although I do think W/C/C would look pretty good for something different.
We've done it.

The uniform the other team is wearing in the above photo are sweet though!
I also like the w/c/c combo, and the b/c/c. We should use them more often.

As far as the other team in the pic above, this is Louisiana-Monroe, 2018. The Cyclones won this game 72-20, the recap here,

Re-al Mitchell had a pretty good 4th qtr. in that game. Two articles on Re-al, here,

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Speaking about Re-al Mitchell, I forgot that in high school he split time at QB with DJ Uiagalelei. Purdy and Iowa State were matched up with Uiagalelei and Clemson 2 years later. So another Iowa State connection there.

Question: How is it that Uiagalelei is able to hit the transfer portal again, after playing at Clemson, then at Oregon State this year? I thought there was a limit on the number of times you could do the portal, like only once? Apparently not?