Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
You never know, but seems the writing is clearly on the wall.....AZ ASU Utah to B12....OR WA to B10. It's sad to see, but this sheds Stanford, Cal, Oregon St, and Wash St from the Power 5. Before any potential shedding from the ACC in years to come, this puts the total number of Power 5 schools at 64, which is exactly what was talked about years ago with the 4x16. Although it looks like the ACC will probably shed a few and the remaining schools will consolidate within the B10, B12, SEC. This would most likely create a 3x20. You never know in this realignment stuff, but I just can't see any conferences going over 20.....that would just create more problems vs the benefits.

Reactions: Stormin

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
It should. I watched 60 minutes this past Sunday.

Over building homes in the desert is like building homes on the beach. Sooner or later you are going to run out of water. Just like sooner or later you are going to be hit by a hurricane.
Oh boy do I have a few thoughts on this. The state passed a law last year that homeowners can xeriscape their yards and cities or HOAs can’t stop them. So guess what we did .

This year, they “clarified” the law saying HOAs can require up to 50% turf. So we are in a battle with our HOA because we just did the xeriscaping without prior approval and did all rocks and desert plants.

We live in a newer neighborhood, with homes still being built. The developers still control the HOA until all the homes are completed. They want lush green lawns. Because short-term property values and profits.

Edit: Thanks for letting me rant on this in the expansion thread.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That doesn't truly solve UConn's football problem and makes all the costs for their other sports explode. The only way they're leaving the Big East, at this point, is to save football. This doesn't do that.
It doesn't solve, but it helps.

The Big East media deal is currently $4.6M. Expires in 2025 and media articles are projecting between $6-8M, with UConn.

Yormark has had conversations that have gotten UConn's interest. Would UConn vs Big12 football non-con games pay UConn more than a game against Army, James Madison or UMass? I hope so!

You might be right that football has to be part of the deal, because it gives UConn Power Conference status and included in CFP big boy payment vs. G5 payment.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Apple putting a deadline to decide as 6 members have at least one foot out the door is peak realignment news. (The deal already voided if OU/WA left at any point.)

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

VoiceOfReason

Aug 21, 2016
Perfect example of the shallow thinking of the “but do they add value?” people.

The calculus should be:

how do we need to be positioned?
how is the SEC going to be positioned?
Are we getting one up on the SEC with these adds even though they may not add “value” right at this second?
do the mascots on the jersey even matter or is it just a magic number?
Are OU/Wash in the hand worth two “ACC schools to possibly be named later” in the bush?
Will this action further crack the ND egg?
Can these adds get us closer to Fox becoming a billion dollar exclusive carrier for the Big 10 in 5-10 years?

And I think first and foremost there is a mindset of “if you aren’t adding, you’re losing and you may not be at the top of the pecking order when the next round comes, and no one knows what the next round looks like, but we do know that there are strength in numbers”
I just don't think it makes sense to add schools for the sake of adding schools at this point. The Big Ten and the SEC are in an advantageous enough position that they can go trophy hunting, like when the Big Ten added USC and UCLA and the SEC added OU and Texas. Even if Oregon and Washington ended up in another conference (that isn't the SEC), the Big Ten would still certainly view them as an expansion target moving forward and them being in the new Big 12 or staying in a new-look Pac 12 wouldn't hinder their interest in one of the top two.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Perfect example of the shallow thinking of the “but do they add value?” people.

The calculus should be:

how do we need to be positioned?
how is the SEC going to be positioned?
Are we getting one up on the SEC with these adds even though they may not add “value” right at this second?
do the mascots on the jersey even matter or is it just a magic number?
Are OU/Wash in the hand worth two “ACC schools to possibly be named later” in the bush?
Will this action further crack the ND egg?
Can these adds get us closer to Fox becoming a billion dollar exclusive carrier for the Big 10 in 5-10 years?

And I think first and foremost there is a mindset of “if you aren’t adding, you’re losing and you may not be at the top of the pecking order when the next round comes, and no one knows what the next round looks like, but we do know that there are strength in numbers”
I agree with your overall premise, but you can’t add just for the sake of adding either. The B12 would never add OSU and Wazzou for example. OU/Wash would seem like automatic adds for pretty much any of the P4 though.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Just arrogant as **** too. If they end up taking Oregon and Washington the narrative will be that they "saved" two great college football brands lol
They fully interjected themselves back into this mess yesterday only to destabilize and now are again asking someone else to act first.

But I guess the rich have never been accused of being overly brave.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If they can get WAOR on the cheap, then they will take them. If WAOR want the B1G to grovel, then they’ll wait for other options. There are much better options that want and need the B1G.
It's a bummer they know exactly what the competition is offering (ie 31.7M).

They can say $35M now, growing to a full share over 10 years or something like that. And it is still a happy miracle for UW/UO.

Meanwhile, the other 16, their number goes from 60 to 55. Not quite a rounding error, but close to it once you add NCAA and CFP...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I just don't think it makes sense to add schools for the sake of adding schools at this point. The Big Ten and the SEC are in an advantageous enough position that they can go trophy hunting, like when the Big Ten added USC and UCLA and the SEC added OU and Texas. Even if Oregon and Washington ended up in another conference (that isn't the SEC), the Big Ten would still certainly view them as an expansion target moving forward and them being in the new Big 12 or staying in a new-look Pac 12 wouldn't hinder their interest in one of the top two.

Smart move is to lock down Oregon For B1G. And take Washington with. Half shares. Till next contract. Stanford and Cal do nothing.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Not going to count my chickens until the eggs hatch, but I think the Big 10 news has effectively killed any chance the P12 can survive.

Even if all teams not ORWA agreed to the awful terms in the extremely short window to make a decision (highly unlikely), ORWA won’t sign that deal. The B10 essentially said, if the P12 dies we’ll add you two. So, why in the world would ORWA agree to sign that deal to keep the P12 alive? They just can say, we’re not signing, force the corners to leave, and then skip on to the B10

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
If they can get WAOR on the cheap, then they will take them. If WAOR want the B1G to grovel, then they’ll wait for other options. There are much better options that want and need the B1G.
Oh I get that. I just think the whole "not wanting to kill the PAC or move first narrative" is ******* stupid.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Isn't the chart showing FY 2021 research dollars? He's comparing the new guys in the Big 12 to the old ones and showing in FY 2021 there wasn't really a difference. I could be wrong but that's what I thought.
Good catch. I didn't see the 2021$.

Still a backhanded compliment as 2010 was 6 schools vs 2024 is 10 schools. He's still hanging on to his research $ important measure for creating an athletic conference.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Not going to count my chickens until the eggs hatch, but I think the Big 10 news has effectively killed any chance the P12 can survive.

Even if all teams not ORWA agreed to the awful terms in the extremely short window to make a decision (highly unlikely), ORWA won’t sign that deal. The B10 essentially said, if the P12 dies we’ll add you two. So, why in the world would ORWA agree to sign that deal to keep the P12 alive? They just can say, we’re not signing, force the corners to leave, and then skip on to the B10

Without ORWA there is no deal. And they are going to leave. No way is B1G going to allow ORWA to Big 12. Strengthens Big 12.

Reactions: jdolson27