Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Iowa is the only team that has 3 protected rivalries. I wonder if that was on purpose to limit the exposure they would have to the better teams in the conference. Yeah, they may play OSU, Michigan, Penn State more often, but they will probably rarely play 2 of the heavy weights in a single season like others will due to already having 3 conference games selected.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
We are about to find out about Nebraska, as they have what most would say is a good coach. If Rhule is mediocre or not even that (average of 5 wins or something while there) then there is something to be said about Nebraska.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
We are about to find out about Nebraska, as they have what most would say is a good coach. If Rhule is mediocre or not even that (average of 5 wins or something while there) then there is something to be said about Nebraska.

Hasn't it kind of been speculated that the problems at Nebraska are internal due to infighting among the administration and it's donors? I forgot who it was, may have been Jared Stansbury, but I thought on a podcast he talked about it a little.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Recruiting hasn't been their problem. They hauled in a combined 22 4-star recruits in the 2019 and 2020 classes alone.

It was coaching.

Their record with the first few years in the B1G with Pelini was about on par with their last years in the Big 12. The Big 12 North was super weak so they gained a win, and the B1G Legends was a little better but not much.

A favorite was after they got throttled by WI in 2011 it was all 'Welcome to the B1G, Nebraska', like the B1G was some scary place and ignoring the bad-average decade plus of Nebraska football before they came in.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hasn't it kind of been speculated that the problems at Nebraska are internal due to infighting among the administration and it's donors? I forgot who it was, may have been Jared Stansbury, but I thought on a podcast he talked about it a little.

Yeah it sounds like it's been a mess and then Frosty (he apparently calls himself that in the 3rd person if that's any indication) sounds like a mess too.

Rhule came off like a dirtbag but he did a nice job with Baylor and I'd guess he gets some things going at Nebraska. And if he can't, we point and laugh because they're running out of options and time.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Yeah it sounds like it's been a mess and then Frosty (he apparently calls himself that in the 3rd person if that's any indication) sounds like a mess too.

Rhule came off like a dirtbag but he did a nice job with Baylor and I'd guess he gets some things going at Nebraska. And if he can't, we point and laugh because they're running out of options and time.

For ISU's sake, I hope this happens. We don't need a resurgent Nebraska to take from the talent pool that is available in our area. Additionally, with Ferentz retirement in the horizon and who knows who they will select as a coach; we need to be in a position to be the preferred school in the state and 300 mile radius that Campbell talked about.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Recruiting hasn't been their problem. They hauled in a combined 22 4-star recruits in the 2019 and 2020 classes alone.
Somehow they got an uptick in recruiting under Riley, then a big uptick early in Frost's tenure. The recruiting ground argument has never held up at all to fact or scrutiny. As you say, it took years of failure before their recruiting finally took a hit.

Maybe people forget that Nebraska, who went 3-6 in their league, hosted Oklahoma, who went 3-6 in their league and was completely embarrassed and didn't belong on the same field. But sure, they would've been better off in the Big 12.

When people push the "Big 10 has been bad for Nebraska" narrative, they are essentially saying Riley and Frost would've left the Big 10 west for the Big 12 and won more games. Which of course is completely idiotic.

They had a mediocre coach in the Big 12 in Callahan, and, wait for it, they weren't very good. They had a good coach in Pelini in the Big 10 and, wait for it, they were pretty good.

Pelini's winning% in his three full years as the Big 12 coach was just under 71%. His winning percentage as coach in the big 10 was just over...71%. Bill Callahan was a head coach in the Super Bowl and went 15-17 while in the freaking Big 12 North.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’ll believe it when I see it. That place is way more FUBAR than I think we can even imagine.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Iowa is the only team that has 3 protected rivalries. I wonder if that was on purpose to limit the exposure they would have to the better teams in the conference. Yeah, they may play OSU, Michigan, Penn State more often, but they will probably rarely play 2 of the heavy weights in a single season like others will due to already having 3 conference games selected.
Iowa will play every program at least 2 times every 4 years. There's little chance they won't get some combination of tOSU, Michigan, PSU, and USC every season. And if they don't, it just means they'll get most or all of them the next year. And don't sleep on Wisco, Fickell is a great coach and I fear he may get them to that next level. If that happens, it won't be any benefit to have them on the schedule every year.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Iowa will play every program at least 2 times every 4 years. There's little chance they won't get some combination of tOSU, Michigan, PSU, and USC every season. And if they don't, it just means they'll get most or all of them the next year. And don't sleep on Wisco, Fickell is a great coach and I fear he may get them to that next level. If that happens, it won't be any benefit to have them on the schedule every year.
That’ll help get Kirk out the door then.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Somehow they got an uptick in recruiting under Riley, then a big uptick early in Frost's tenure. The recruiting ground argument has never held up at all to fact or scrutiny. As you say, it took years of failure before their recruiting finally took a hit.

Maybe people forget that Nebraska, who went 3-6 in their league, hosted Oklahoma, who went 3-6 in their league and was completely embarrassed and didn't belong on the same field. But sure, they would've been better off in the Big 12.

When people push the "Big 10 has been bad for Nebraska" narrative, they are essentially saying Riley and Frost would've left the Big 10 west for the Big 12 and won more games. Which of course is completely idiotic.

They had a mediocre coach in the Big 12 in Callahan, and, wait for it, they weren't very good. They had a good coach in Pelini in the Big 10 and, wait for it, they were pretty good.

Pelini's winning% in his three full years as the Big 12 coach was just under 71%. His winning percentage as coach in the big 10 was just over...71%. Bill Callahan was a head coach in the Super Bowl and went 15-17 while in the freaking Big 12 North.
The Big 10 has been bad for Nebraska because they lost all of their historical opponents and they haven't been any good. None of this has been even remotely fun for their fans.

The Big 10 schedule they've played has been weaker than the Big 12 schedule they would have played, but that schedule was against historical foes with close road trips, which are things that always mattered to Husker fans. The Big 10 schedule isn't why they've lost. I think they got out of touch with who they are, as silly as that might sound, and they're just kind of wandering beating their chest about the paychecks they get.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The Big 10 has been bad for Nebraska because they lost all of their historical opponents and they haven't been any good. None of this has been even remotely fun for their fans.

The Big 10 schedule they've played has been weaker than the Big 12 schedule they would have played, but that schedule was against historical foes with close road trips, which are things that always mattered to Husker fans. The Big 10 schedule isn't why they've lost. I think they got out of touch with who they are, as silly as that might sound, and they're just kind of wandering beating their chest about the paychecks they get.

Nebraska was declining when they decided to leave the Big 12. The days of unlimited number advantages were over. And Texas and Oklahoma were the new elite of the Big 12. Nebraska started to decline when the Big 8 ended. They were at the peak then. And after decent success under Pelini they parted ways and struggled since. When the Big 8 ended Nebraska’s reign ended.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I think it’s very challenging to recruit to Lincoln now. You can be the greatest coach in the world but if recruits dismiss your school out of hand due to location then you’re ******, as we all know.

The rise of Baylor, TT, A&M going to SEC means more Texas kids staying in Texas. Throw in Houston now in the P5 and that’s another huge hit for Nebraska’s hopes.

We all know the “Texas leftovers” recruiting strategy killed us under Rhoads. That was the best thing CMC did was changing the recruiting strategy. If Mike Rose had been from Texas there’s a good chance we never get him, just too many big time options in Texas as opposed to Ohio (big pop state but not so many P5 schools).

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think it’s very challenging to recruit to Lincoln now. You can be the greatest coach in the world but if recruits dismiss your school out of hand due to location then you’re ******, as we all know.

The rise of Baylor, TT, A&M going to SEC means more Texas kids staying in Texas. Throw in Houston now in the P5 and that’s another huge hit for Nebraska’s hopes.

We all know the “Texas leftovers” recruiting strategy killed us under Rhoads. That was the best thing CMC did was changing the recruiting strategy. If Mike Rose had been from Texas there’s a good chance we never get him, just too many big time options in Texas as opposed to Ohio (big pop state but not so many P5 schools).
Go back and look at those Nebraska rosters when they were winning championships and about 25% to 35% were kids out of Texas, throw in the prop 48 kids that ISU could not take, and they were bringing in a lot of talent, that once the league outlawed the taking of prop 48 kids, the losing started once they had cycled out of the program, then leaving the B12, took them out of their natural recruiting territory of Texas, where they had made inroads for a couple of decades. Throw in a couple of horrible coaching hires and you end up with the present Nebraska football program.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

So if they were in the Big 12 last year getting drubbed by traditional foes and go 1-8 in the league that would’ve been more fun for them?

It’s bad for the fans because the team stinks. The team stinks because the coaching has been bad. I never thought NU fans cared that much about rivals other than OU, and pretty much considered themselves way above everyone else.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So if they were in the Big 12 last year getting drubbed by traditional foes and go 1-8 in the league that would’ve been more fun for them?

It’s bad for the fans because the team stinks. The team stinks because the coaching has been bad. I never thought NU fans cared that much about rivals other than OU, and pretty much considered themselves way above everyone else.
That isn’t fun anywhere

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Go back and look at those Nebraska rosters when they were winning championships and about 25% to 35% were kids out of Texas, throw in the prop 48 kids that ISU could not take, and they were bringing in a lot of talent, that once the league outlawed the taking of prop 48 kids, the losing started once they had cycled out of the program, then leaving the B12, took them out of their natural recruiting territory of Texas, where they had made inroads for a couple of decades. Throw in a couple of horrible coaching hires and you end up with the present Nebraska football program.
Two things get overlooked about Nebraska's downfall, IMO. One is Nebraska's schedule through the 70s, 80s and early 90s. In an 11 game schedule:
  • 3 absolute cupcakes that might be schools you've never heard of
  • 1 OOC game against a major team (ie: Washington, Penn St, Florida St, UCLA)
  • 2 conference games against top 10-15 teams (usually OU + one of Colorado/Missouri/Oklahoma St)
  • 3 conference games against fringe top-25 or at least not horrible teams (the other 2 of Colorado/Missouri/Okie Lite + Kansas)
  • 2 conference games against historically bad programs (ISU except in the late 70s, K-State except the early 90s)
That's about as close as you can get to an automatic 9 wins a year without having to beat anyone all that good.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
It’s worked out for Nebraska. Way more money, easier schedule, maintained recruiting rankings and even for a while improved despite not winning. When they still had a competent coach they were every bit as successful as they were in the Big 12. The move to the big 10 was great for Nebraska, but they trashed those benefits with a bad and then a train wreck coaching hire.

It's been a disaster for Nebraska. When was the last time Nebraska played in a bowl game? The entire program is a joke at this point.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
When the AZ prez (or whomever) talks about streaming percentage thresholds, is that referring strictly to football?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron