Racist UofI Hawkkks - Settlement Paid By Tax Payers

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
That does make sense. When KF was dropped from the lawsuit, it became a school administration battle. My personal opinion is that if Barta had any backbone and integrity he would remove them as a way to clear the school of that activity, but we all know that isn't happening.
From what it sounds like KF's name and others were dropped to clear the path for settlement. They wanted to remove anyone who might clog up the settlement process. That's not to say KF was completely unaware, as he says he was. It wouldn't surprise me if everyone was 'in the know' of the settlement process, but this way it would give KF and others plausible deniability and the ability to try saving face and saying they'd have never settled.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The fact that Barta actually proposed that taxpayers cover half of the cost while his AD received $150+ million in revenue this year AND it was passed AND how much negative national attention this is getting AND he still has a job says all you need to know about how much the people in power actually care about this issue. Really, really sad...and maddening.
Barta didn't propose that. The new Iowa AG did.

• Informative
Reactions: cycloneworld

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The state got the bird it asked for.

I hate that politics usually reserved for the cave has made its way into this but I have to ask just how is Bird involved with this when she just took office and this lawsuit was filed in 2020? I may not be dialed into politics these days as many others here are but this seems like a big reach when the board of regents and now the appeals have failed to hold those who should be accountable for this lawsuit.

I will even add that I don't agree with some of Sand's politics but this is 1 thing I applaud him for standing up for what is right and calling out the obvious. He's even a Hawkeye and wore a black and gold tie when he faced the media on this. I listened to his interview on KXNO and I have gained a bunch of respect for him after today for putting his allegiances aside to stand up for what is right.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
He didn't go after KF with this for a few reasons... 1) this was the first discrimination lawsuit against the football program, whereas it was #4 against Barta's athetic department; 2) unlike some discrimination cases where it's very clear that person A said something/did something/harrassed someone/etc. this was about a culture within the program. Not saying they're right or wrong or that you should agree or disagree, just putting it out there that those were Sand's rationales when he was on M&A today talking about why he wasn't targeting KF as well as GB.
Sands didn’t go after KF, but that’s part of the family business.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I hate that politics usually reserved for the cave has made its way into this but I have to ask just how is Bird involved with this when she just took office and this lawsuit was filed in 2020? I may not be dialed into politics these days as many others here are but this seems like a big reach when the board of regents and now the appeals have failed to hold those who should be accountable for this lawsuit.

I will even add that I don't agree with some of Sand's politics but this is 1 thing I applaud him for standing up for what is right and calling out the obvious. He's even a Hawkeye and wore a black and gold tie when he faced the media on this. I listened to his interview on KXNO and I have gained a bunch of respect for him after today for putting his allegiances aside to stand up for what is right.
Birds office settled the lawsuit and made recommendations on how it was paid for.

Reactions: MJ29

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Sands didn’t go after KF, but that’s part of the family business.
Don't entirely disagree but Sand is a smart guy and probably knows that Barta being shown the door would also mean Kirk no longer has a lapdog for an AD, which shortens KF's shelf life. But then again, I'm sure Sand knew his move wouldn't work out in the end either.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny

You don’t think a state’s AG should or would weigh in on multi-million dollar legal issues involving state employees and entities? The opportunity for settlement is now, not 2 years ago.

I’d have culled the second line from that tweet if possible, but the first line is spot on.

Reactions: MJ29 and CyDude16

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
You don’t think a state’s AG should or would weigh in on multi-million dollar legal issues involving state employees and entities? The opportunity for settlement is now, not 2 years ago.

I’d have culled the second line from that tweet if possible, but the first line is spot on.
Tom Miller was AG when this was filed and she hasn't been on the job long. All I am asking is for proof she was the one that pushed for the settlement or if she inherited this mess from Miller. It's a mess regardless and one that we should ultimately question the Board of Regents for approving when Ferentz himself says the case had no merit. If the guy in charge of the program being sued feels that strong then either he is blind to the problems or has his head in the sand and doesn't want to be accountable.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Is this a workaround scapegoat situation to save BF since he "reports" to Barta?

We all know he was always half figure head half fall-guy...
Barta being removed is a solution here.

I say that because Kirk is only allowed to act in the way Kirk does b/c of a nutless Barta.

When a new AD comes in, then the Ferentz's time left on the shot clock really starts to go down.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Tom Miller was AG when this was filed and she hasn't been on the job long. All I am asking is for proof she was the one that pushed for the settlement or if she inherited this mess from Miller. It's a mess regardless and one that we should ultimately question the Board of Regents for approving when Ferentz himself says the case had no merit. If the guy in charge of the program being sued feels that strong then either he is blind to the problems or has his head in the sand and doesn't want to be accountable.
squint-eye.gif

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Barta being removed is a solution here.

I say that because Kirk is only allowed to act in the way Kirk does b/c of a nutless Barta.

When a new AD comes in, then the Ferentz's time left on the shot clock really starts to go down.
It still is mind boggling how Iowa hired a new president and upon their review of the staff did not take pause when they looked st Barta and wondered how he was still employed after all the scandals and lawsuits under his watch.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
My favorite part of all of this is Gary Barta’s statement. Could you get any more dismissive or tone deaf with this statement??

“The athletic department remains committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for every student-athlete and staff member involved in our program,” Barta said in a statement. "The Hawkeyes' over-arching goal to win every time we compete, graduate every student-athlete that comes to Iowa, and to do it right, remains our focus."

• Haha
Reactions: RezClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
At least Sand was trying to prevent Iowa tax payers from having to pay for the University's discrimination. The two Republican board members who approved the settlement had no problems with sticking tax payers with a $2 million bill.
Actually sand was okay if Barta was fired he was not against the state paying.

1678165207163.jpeg

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
So basically KF is the most powerful person in the state. He makes $4M+ a year, ***** things up and then the state pays for his mess. He comes out of every issue he has had with more power.

• Angry
Reactions: CyNews

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Two things that are both true…

1. Settling the lawsuit was the correct decision to minimize financial risk.

2. The Iowa AD not offering to pay 100% of a $4 million settlement is the dumbest thing they’ve done and that is saying something.

Perhaps there are legitimate legal reasons why $2 million should be funded from the general fund, but the Iowa AD can turn around and donate $2 million to some public project.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I don't think it'll matter unless he puts a R behind his name he only kept his current job by a few hundred votes and he's a damn good auditor. Kim's coattails brought in the treasurer and A.G.

He earned some respect from me on his stance on this.

Reactions: CyNews

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron