Field Goals:
ISU +2

Rebounds:
ISU +7

Turnovers:
ISU with three less

Fouls:
ISU with 11 more fouls

Three ISU players fouled out in regulation, two others with four. That happens like one game in a THOUSAND, maybe less. It never freaking happens.

One WVU player fouls out, nobody else even got in foul trouble.

These games @WVU aren’t even real games. Sure KU will get some atrocious late game calls home and away but even against KU it’s not 8 vs 5 the entire game like every game @WVU. The two games against KU this year were kind of shockingly well officiated.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think you are on to a bit of something here.

This team is a great TEAM. Anyone can be the leading scorer any night. But when yiu need that ONE last bucket, you gotta have an alpha dog. Kane. Niang. Fizer. Etc. So maybe that is a very small weakness, in close games.

It doesn't have that kind of offensive skilled guy even it were an alpha dog thing.

He's still a tad limited but I'm liking Lipsey being assertive. Maybe he evolves at some point here to be the one for the bucket.

Reactions: CascadeClone

cyclone93

Feb 13, 2008
Field Goals:
ISU +2

Rebounds:
ISU +7

Turnovers:
ISU with three less

Fouls:
ISU with 11 more fouls

Three ISU players fouled out in regulation, two others with four. That happens like one game in a THOUSAND, maybe less. It never freaking happens.

One WVU player fouls out, nobody else even got in foul trouble.

These games @WVU aren’t even real games. Sure KU will get some atrocious late game calls home and away but even against KU it’s not 8 vs 5 the entire game like every game @WVU. The two games against KU this year were kind of shockingly well officiated.
I actually think we got a very friendly whistle at home against KU. Seemed like a large number of 50-50 block/charge calls went our way. KU is actually one of the least physical teams in the conference this year, it seems...quite a change from the years where they had bigs like Embid, Azabuike. and even McCormick.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
We haven’t been that good on neutral sites as well. It took Grill having the game of his life to barely beat a mediocre UNC team. We lost to, what has turned out to be, an also struggling UCONN.
Uconn who is 19-6 and #6 in Kenpom is struggling?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I actually just watched the ACC Network special on Virginia’s team that lost as a 1 seed to UMBC but then won the national championship.

Long story short is the sadness, shock, awfulness or whatever you want to call it after they lost after being 31-2 overall and winning the ACC regular season with an insane 17-1 record was so awful it basically made what they did accomplish that season pointless to them.

Point is we have been there too with the Hampton loss that is still talked about and not the Big 12 season we had. A regular season title would be amazing and of course I want the guys to win it. But it’s zero guarantee of anything in the tournament when it truly counts.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I actually just watched the ACC Network special on Virginia’s team that lost as a 1 seed to UMBC but then won the national championship.

Long story short is the sadness, shock, awfulness or whatever you want to call it after they lost after being 31-2 overall and winning the ACC regular season with an insane 17-1 record was so awful it basically made what they did accomplish that season pointless to them.

Point is we have been there too with the Hampton loss that is still talked about and not the Big 12 season we had. A regular season title would be amazing and of course I want the guys to win it. But it’s zero guarantee of anything in the tournament when it truly counts.

Eh, there's probably a middle ground there though. We havent won the conference in more than 2 decades. So long as we didn't completely **** the bed in the tournament the way we did in 2001\2015 the season would be remembered well if we won the conference.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Their size and speed are a bad deal.

It will take a really tough effort. Hopefully Gabe and Kunc can get going.
Different animal at home. No Avery Anderson for awhile for them. I think ISU controls from start to finish 67-55.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
The game was predicted right here by Stansbury-uncanny

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Even that game the bad officiating was just down the stretch. Tonight was bad the first ten minutes than pretty much the entire second half. ISU was the significantly better team in the second half.

WVU is not a better team, they got a helping hand the entire way. For whatever reason it is just a hellhole of a place to play.

You could’ve called them for 10-20 extra fouls just on fouls where they literally grabbed and held a guy. In a game where they foul out half of ISU’s team, those calls have to be made or it’s no longer a sport, some kind of scripted fake reality show.
Yeah, I was just referring to the fact that they played Michigan State at home in the NCAAs. That's all. The officials were a littke more crafty in that game. These guys didn't care what it looked like.

Last edited:

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
That game is terrifying. OSU is tough, better defensively than ISU and getting better on offense.

Can't take them likely but I dont see how you could take them. We are a juggernaut at home, easily disposing of every team but KSU. Also doubt they bank in 2 or 3 threes and shoot 45% from deep again.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Larry was the best at working on the officials we’ve ever had. Orr would get on em’ from time-to-time, but not to the degree as LE.

one of his underrated talents...

my other point with that pic was to refute that all games in the NCAA's are neutral site games. certainly not THAT day, dawg...

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Eh, there's probably a middle ground there though. We havent won the conference in more than 2 decades. So long as we didn't completely **** the bed in the tournament the way we did in 2001\2015 the season would be remembered well if we won the conference.
No you are right. My point being, and if anyone thinks I don’t care about winning the conference title that would be very false, is that winning a conference title is no guarantee of anything in March. Because to your point IF you **** the bed and lose in the first round well that season loses a ton of luster. It just does. It doesn’t actually take anything away from the conference title but the tournament is where it’s at and where true memories are made. If we ever get to see our men make the Final Four this site will actually melt down and crash forever. And if we somehow played in the championship and won it to see One Shining Moment with our Cyclones being the lasting image? I’m good never winning the conference.

Look at Purdue. They have had some damn good teams lately, including Big Ten titles in ‘17 and ‘19. No Final Fours since 1980 I believe. Let’s see if they can do it this year, but if they don’t that will eat away at their fans. Villanova went through this for a long time where they always came up short in the tournament until Jay Wright finally got them over the hump and took it all the way twice. Good friend is a Nova grad and he said getting to the Final Four was so amazing and then winning it was just the most surreal thing ever.