Yet Another Boneheaded Move by the Iowa AD

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
They have donated more than 2 mil to local charities and the V foundation since 98. Ya I am biased but I dont agree with what they did here.
Glad they put money into good causes. But nothing there about B&G Club nor in their PR. That’s all i was doing, making the distinction.

Reactions: iahawks

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It literally says "It is highly unfortunate for the 150 students that collectively fundraised a total of $2649.41 for local charitable organizations in order to be invited on this trip."
I guess what I find horrible about this whole thing is that dollar amount. That's less than $20/student. Look how much they spent on the busses. And then, how much were the tickets? I mean yeah, every little bit counts and $2,649.41 sounds like a decent amount, but when you break it down per person, it's kind of a joke compared to what they were spending to go on the trip.

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I guess what I find horrible about this whole thing is that dollar amount. That's less than $20/student. Look how much they spent on the busses. And then, how much were the tickets? I mean yeah, every little bit counts and $2,649.41 sounds like a decent amount, but when you break it down per person, it's kind of a joke compared to what they were spending to go on the trip.
And if a person paid $X for the trip, they can only claim their portion of the $2649.41, near your $20 claim. But its a student org, not a ‘proper’ 501c3, so fun should go along with it.

Reactions: Clonefan94

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Glad they put money into good causes. But nothing there about B&G Club nor in their PR. That’s all i was doing, making the distinction.

Ya I dont know the inner works of what they do. All I know is you have to do charity and pay money to be in the OK for charity.

Also its wikepedia so I have no clue what orange krush why it says the girls club of Illinois means. Could be a hawk fan changing wiki.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
What's funny about all of this to me is that if Orange Krush had tried to purchase tickets under their own organization, gotten rejected, and said what happened, people would be roasting the Iowa athletic department. If they had made up a fake organization and purchased tickets under that and successfully gone to the game, people would be praising them for their ingenuity. If they used a fake organization and had gotten found out, people might be a little more split, but I think most would be somewhat sympathetic to them.

But instead, they impersonated another organization that is real and is much more worthwhile to society than Orange Krush is. I don't care how charitable Orange Krush is or has been, that's just wrong. They've made the situation about as bad as possible for themselves at every step along the way.

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
Didn't realize it's been over 3 years since the Hawks have beat Illinois! Game is on FOX at 1:30 Saturday.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well, this game I think is a sellout or close to one so not this year it seems. Also, Iowa is probably one of the closest campuses to them. I know they have been to Purdue a few times as well.

Well only because Illinois bought 200 tkts that your A.D. took back then gave to the B&G Cub of CR&IC

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Would be awesome if they recognized the CR B&G club on the court at HT.
Possible solution:Get more students to attend. Heard not too many signed up in C.R., unfortunately. Do not use these kids as pawns. Glad they get to go,for darn sure.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Iowa athletics is like imperial Russia in the 19th Century.

All the potential in the world but can't get out of their own way.

Good for us -- considering the historical head start they have on caring about athletics compared to Iowa State and their higher level of resources in the Big Ten, it is a very helpful thing they deploy their superior resources so poorly. If they ever figured out what to do with them... oh boy that might be bad.

Nobody does less with more than Iowa. And few do more with less than Iowa State.

• Creative
Reactions: keepngoal

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
If they sued, that would be a huge mistake. They violated federal law by obtaining the tickets fraudulently.
How do you buy a ticket to a basketball game fraudulently?

You mean if I buy 200 tix to the University of Iowa bb game, I am the only one that can used them? You mean if I go to the ticket office I have to give them my name and id and I am IDed to get in, otherwise If I give the ticket to someone else that person is committing fraud?

Please, it is a ticket to a public event. Someone could buy tickets to it claiming to be Santa Clause. There is not a requirement to ID and background check.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ya I dont know the inner works of what they do. All I know is you have to do charity and pay money to be in the OK for charity.

Also its wikepedia so I have no clue what orange krush why it says the girls club of Illinois means. Could be a hawk fan changing wiki.
Hawkeye fans are kinda sexist, so it makes sense it only says girls club that it was them who did it.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
This is their one trip for the year. The rest of the year is fund raising. So out of this trip they only raised that much because it costs so much to go to the game, Thats why they only do it 1 time per year. The rest of the year much more goes towards charity.

At least that is how I understand it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

You mean if I buy 200 tix to the University of Iowa bb game, I am the only one that can used them? You mean if I go to the ticket office I have to give them my name and id and I am IDed to get in, otherwise If I give the ticket to someone else that person is committing fraud?

Please, it is a ticket to a public event. Someone could buy tickets to it claiming to be Santa Clause. There is not a requirement to ID and background check.
You have to go through specific routes to buy more than 19 or they ban your account.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So no proof they donated to the B&G club of Illinois. Got it.

They have, you just dont want to buy it. I am a fan and never went to school their or a Krush member. My sister was in the early 2000's.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

They impersonated a well known charity to get the tickets. Don’t know what else to tell you but that seems fraudulent to me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron